• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

(Small) Success Story - Got Cleartrip to pay 5% amount lost due to wrong MCC !!

Hello Technofinos,

1. Few months back, I read in a thread that SBI Cashback card is not giving cashback for flight bookings done on Cleartrip & other travel sites, as it is categorised as ineligible MCCs.
2. I checked & to my surprise, I found that I was not given cashback for my August flight booking on Cleartrip.
3. SBI customer support told me that since MCC for txn. is Railways, so no cashback was given. I made sure to get this info in writing over mail.
4. Next, I tried reaching Cleartrip support, and as expected no one had any clue what MCC was !! One of their senior supervisors even said "we don't issue MCC to Cleartrip txns." :ROFLMAO:
5. I understood, noting will happen over phone call so I dropped a mail, to which I received same generic replies. But when I used stronger language and threatened to approach Consumer Forum, they got serious & I started receiving calls asking for more time to resolve the issue.
6. Meanwhile, I also shared the SBI response where they had mentioned that 5% cashback was not given as the MCC was of Railways .
7. This continued for 3-4 months. I was also not very optimistic with this, so I was casually replying / sending reminders.
8. Then finally I received a call today where they admitted their mistake and offered to pay be back 5% amount after I share my bank details. ( Since its more than 6 months, so the amount can't be credited to the source account)

I feel others also try this with and share you response here !!

Last edited: