• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

[SOLVED]Does anybody know good data recovery tools?

saucy

TF Legend
I connected my external SSD to a Mac, and all the data just vanished. Not sure what happened. I have a hunch that it forced quick format/changed the drive type.

Anybody got any tools that might be useful?

I have used Stellar for on site data recovery. They took in my faith drive and quoted 110k to recover 80% of the drive.

Post that I had also bought Stellar Recovery bundle in black Friday, that recovered about 20%.

In the same sales I bought EaseUs and recovered 80% of the data I wanted myself. So make of it what you may.

I currently have both EaseUs and RecoverIt. Both are good. I got good deals for all the software mentioned above.

I connected my external SSD to a Mac, and all the data just vanished. Not sure what happened. I have a hunch that it forced quick format/changed the drive type.

Anybody got any tools that might be useful?
Also I think your HDD was in NTFS. Apple doesn't read NTFS. They support exFAT. I have a hunch your data is safe. Just that the drive cannot be recognised due to the above mentioned issue

You're right
It got converted to exFAT and the sh*tshow happened.

However I couldn't find any viable methods to recover the data.
EaseUS etc cost a pretty dollar (~60) jitne ka hamara paying capacity nahi hone wala.

Am trying "TESTDISK" to recover data. It's working, but the data isn't gonna be organised 😭😭😭

Lessons learnt

1. Never plug your windows SSD into a Mac.
2. If you ever DO end up doing it, OR
IF you ever mistakenly delete some data --

Don't copy paste overwrite anything on the SSD/HDD/partition.
Use a paid or free software to try and recover it.

Once recovered, you may defragment or do anything else.

It never ceases to amaze me how apple makes simple things go so bad.

I am currently dealing with safari taking up 30+gb of space. And official solution is to just reset the device. Imagine having such shit cache management in 2023 that you need to reset your device just to delete browser cache.

If you use both Windows and MacOS, format the drive as exFAT as soon as you purchase one. Don't bother converting existing drives unless you have the data backed up to a cloud service or to an external drive.

Since 2020, I have started using Backblaze which backs up data on a daily basis to the cloud. It costed me 4k for unlimited space and I have been using it ever since. Backblaze is a company I knew earlier as well but couldn't afford it as I was not earning at that time.

Back