• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Trai's new rules may cause OTP delays for you starting Sept 1

Frankly, we should get banks, ecom sites/apps to start using 2FA using TOTP, then no need to wait for SMS OTPs and no need to blame network issues. Problem solved!

We can raise bulk request to all banks for TOTP using all members of this forum.

It will help people like us who are aware what TOTP is.

Most people who are getting scammed might not aware about TOTP.

We can raise bulk request to all banks for TOTP using all members of this forum.

It will help people like us who are aware what TOTP is.

Most people who are getting scammed might not aware about TOTP.
Sounds good.
So, how to raise a reques for TOTP??

I am not familiar with TOTP, what is it?
Totp = time based One Time Password. They’re apps like Micorsoft/Google Authenticators which generate new otp for every 30 to 60 seconds without any internet. Totp is used for 2 Factor authentication(2Fa) & widely in use by almost every major social media e commerce cloud storage websites/Apps.
For iPhones & other Apple devices, the passwords option in settings & Passwords App(iOS 18) will generate it for you or you can download any third party apps like google/Microsoft authenticator. They’re easy to setup very secure,

After entering Username & Password we usually Get Sms otp for 2nd layer of authentication. But if you opt for Totp, you need not to wait for Sms, just enter the otp that your authenticator App generated. voilà you’re good to go. As per my knowledge Punjab National Bank used to have one, but I can’t find that app in App Store.

Last edited:
Sounds good.
So, how to raise a reques for TOTP??

We can potentially raise request for TOTP by sending request to Grievance Redressal and see what they reply. We need mail template and email of respective banks. And then we can request others to also request by sending mail to appropriate email.

Couple of years ago, I had asked Kotak Mahindra Bank to allow TOTP. They said that this feature is not available yet and that they will pass this message to their developer team.
Sometimes, sh#t happens only when sh#t hits the fan.

So how would that cause OTP delays? OTPs message dont contain any of the things mentioned here
The delay will be temporary until banks set a fixed template, urls and numbers for OTP sms.

If they provide all the details to Telecom companies before 1st September then there will be no delay.

We can potentially raise request for TOTP by sending request to Grievance Redressal and see what they reply. We need mail template and email of respective banks. And then we can request others to also request by sending mail to appropriate email.
I think raising it on social media like Twitter is better option than email.

Frankly, we should get banks, ecom sites/apps to start using 2FA using TOTP, then no need to wait for SMS OTPs and no need to blame network issues. Problem solved!
better but not easy for simple folks without software knowhow & old peeps
especially recovery is impossible for totp apps when phone is lost, passphrase lost etc

totp is nice for tech savvy folks who understand the risks & defo should be offered as an option along with sms

rather govt should stop spam & start with govt sending spam

Last edited:
rather govt should stop spam & start with govt sending spam
election time state govs & pmo were sending election advert spams in disguise of sms
so gov should start with itself

Or what about the IT Department spamming everyday for months leading up to 31st July prodding everyone to file ITR ASAP? As if people going to file could afford to forget otherwise!

There are numerous other examples as well.

Back