• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Upi Add message but don't know where...

Kumar93196

TF Ace
Hi all
Last night i recived three message from my different banks regarding you a/c no is successfully added to upi. I don't know which upi app it got added and who did it and how it happened and i didn't do this. I never shared any details regarding my a/c to anyone. I called axis bank customer care first they told they might be some auto generated message after they told me that they can't track om upi which its been added to....
Please let me know what should i do

Hi all
Last night i recived three message from my different banks regarding you a/c no is successfully added to upi. I don't know which upi app it got added and who did it and how it happened and i didn't do this. I never shared any details regarding my a/c to anyone. I called axis bank customer care first they told they might be some auto generated message after they told me that they can't track om upi which its been added to....
Screenshot attached ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231212-084737.png
    Screenshot_20231212-084737.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20231212-084718.png
    Screenshot_20231212-084718.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20231212-084634.png
    Screenshot_20231212-084634.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 40
Hi all
This doesn't sound good if you did not initiate it.
Do update as what happened actually.

One bank can generate a false positive message but 3 banks generating the same message could not be a false positive.

In your phone's messages, do you see a long alphanumeric key sent to any number(s)? 3 or more times?
Did you happen to use any UPI app in the last few days to start the UPI registration process and stopped mid-way?
Did you happen to use any not-so-well-known website/app or counterfeit apps to make UPI payment?

Keep you Aadhaar bio-metrics locked if you are suspecting SIM cloning/swapping.
I assume and hope that you have alerted all 3 of your banks or the banks associated with the phone number in question via call and email about this incident with the screenshots attached.
Your Equitas account seems to have successfully completed the UPI registration process. You need to reach out to them to get the details of the device, app, phone number and other details involved in that process.
Making a payment or doing a financial transaction or opening your banks website/app on an open, non-secure (free) WiFi connection is never advised too.

This doesn't sound good if you did not initiate it.
Do update as what happened actually.

One bank can generate a false positive message but 3 banks generating the same message could not be a false positive.

In your phone's messages, do you see a long alphanumeric key sent to any number(s)? 3 or more times?
Did you happen to use any UPI app in the last few days to start the UPI registration process and stopped mid-way?
Did you happen to use any not-so-well-known website/app or counterfeit apps to make UPI payment?

Keep you Aadhaar bio-metrics locked if you are suspecting SIM cloning/swapping.
I assume and hope that you have alerted all 3 of your banks or the banks associated with the phone number in question via call and email about this incident with the screenshots attached.
Your Equitas account seems to have successfully completed the UPI registration process. You need to reach out to them to get the details of the device, app, phone number and other details involved in that process.
Making a payment or doing a financial transaction or opening your banks website/app on an open, non-secure (free) WiFi connection is never advised too.
No i haven't seen any alphanumeric message send to anywhere.

I have uninstalled and installed my mobikwik app. But axis/equitas/kotak is not linked in that.

No i have been using the same device for 2 years so never needed to reinstate upi.

I have called three banks and they are saying the same thing that this might be a delayed message which you receive occasionally. And they can't track on which app these accounts got linked.

They offered me to block channels but that would block the entire banking app no debit would be allowed.

As of now for precaution i have emptied these a/c and changed all the passwords.
And also blocked my adhar biometric.

And most of the time i use my mobile data or wifi from my secondary device.

This has happened with me one late night in July 2019. I got a message saying that my account was linked to a ICICI handle which I had obviously not initiated from my end. Overnight, I emptied my account and kept a tab. Next day, I opened a new account with another bank and deposited my money there.

Few days later, ai came across a news article in which Truecaller had admitted to inadvertently (Lol), linking users accounts with their UPI which used ICICI services.

Could be some rogue app like that. Maybe they'll disclose the culprit in a few days ? In the meanwhile, if anyone else also faced the same then could be app related.

But also do stay alert and ensure your sim was not swapped or the RTN has not been changed.

The news link -

No i haven't seen any alphanumeric message send to anywhere.

I have uninstalled and installed my mobikwik app. But axis/equitas/kotak is not linked in that.

No i have been using the same device for 2 years so never needed to reinstate upi.

I have called three banks and they are saying the same thing that this might be a delayed message which you receive occasionally. And they can't track on which app these accounts got linked.

They offered me to block channels but that would block the entire banking app no debit would be allowed.

As of now for precaution i have emptied these a/c and changed all the passwords.
And also blocked my adhar biometric.

And most of the time i use my mobile data or wifi from my secondary device.
You could also consider changing your UPI PIN that you use for all the bank accounts in question.
And if you want to check whether the Equitas account is actually compromised or not, you can keep 500 or 1000 rs in that account and let the UPI PIN be as it was before. If any amount gets deducted in next 7-10days, it is compromised for sure. Post that change the UPI PIN to something new, anyway.

This has happened with me one late night in July 2019. I got a message saying that my account was linked to a ICICI handle which I had obviously not initiated from my end. Overnight, I emptied my account and kept a tab. Next day, I opened a new account with another bank and deposited my money there.

Few days later, ai came across a news article in which Truecaller had admitted to inadvertently (Lol), linking users accounts with their UPI which used ICICI services.

Could be some rogue app like that. Maybe they'll disclose the culprit in a few days ? In the meanwhile, if anyone else also faced the same then could be app related.

But also do stay alert and ensure your sim was not swapped or the RTN has not been changed.
I do have Truecaller app....
But my sim is working fine

You could also consider changing your UPI PIN that you use for all the bank accounts in question.
And if you want to check whether the Equitas account is actually compromised or not, you can keep 500 or 1000 rs in that account and let the UPI PIN be as it was before. If any amount gets deducted in next 7-10days, it is compromised for sure. Post that change the UPI PIN to something new, anyway.
I have changed all the upi pins

The news link -

What is RTN Brother

I had a similar issue a few months back on the day my father was hospitalised, I recieved multiple messages regarding attempts to register my axis kiwi credit card on another device via upi. Simultaneously someone was trying to con me by acting as an axis bank employee on what's app albeit with a business account and logo etc, but I identified it's fake thanks to it's wrong English structure. Even after ignoring and blocking the number on WhatsApp, the con man had the audacity to call me and convince me to download the fake apk from what's app, cooly spoke to him, and then once he got friendly, took down fake details, while I recorded everything for the cops. Once he started threatening me, that he'll block my account if I don't update my Kyc, I asked him to block all my accounts with the bank with a fake number, which he readily agreed existed. That confirmed my suspicion and then I blasted him immediately threatening him to try his luck as I am just outside the police station. He immediately cut the call and the sim number was no longer active, as the cops later tried to get in touch with the con man. My attempt to inform axis bank was also futile as calling their customer care resulted in emptying over 300 rs of talk time as it wasn't till free and in the end no one responded to the call and took the complaint. Eventually I shot a mail to the cybercrime police with all the details I accumulated.

No
I had a similar issue a few months back on the day my father was hospitalised, I recieved multiple messages regarding attempts to register my axis kiwi credit card on another device via upi. Simultaneously someone was trying to con me by acting as an axis bank employee on what's app albeit with a business account and logo etc, but I identified it's fake thanks to it's wrong English structure. Even after ignoring and blocking the number on WhatsApp, the con man had the audacity to call me and convince me to download the fake apk from what's app, cooly spoke to him, and then once he got friendly, took down fake details, while I recorded everything for the cops. Once he started threatening me, that he'll block my account if I don't update my Kyc, I asked him to block all my accounts with the bank with a fake number, which he readily agreed existed. That confirmed my suspicion and then I blasted him immediately threatening him to try his luck as I am just outside the police station. He immediately cut the call and the sim number was no longer active, as the cops later tried to get in touch with the con man. My attempt to inform axis bank was also futile as calling their customer care resulted in emptying over 300 rs of talk time as it wasn't till free and in the end no one responded to the call and took the complaint. Eventually I shot a mail to the cybercrime police with all the details I accumulated.
Nowadays there are no easy way to report against these cybercrime for a layman.

something same happened with me at night, got msg from 5 banks about succesfully connected to UPI application, all were false, i dont know what to do, i have switched off thing phone, please let me know staps ahead

something same happened with me at night, got msg from 5 banks about succesfully connected to UPI application, all were false, i dont know what to do, i have switched off thing phone, please let me know staps ahead
Turning off the phone isn't right thing to do just reset all the upi pins.

Back