• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UPI friendly/antagonistic bank accounts!

Eye of AjayEye of Ajay is verified member.

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Banker
Dear All

With the increasing number of accounts being frozen, particularly due to a high volume of UPI transactions, it has become crucial to identify the few reliable banks that refrain from taking such actions. Account freezes can affect credit, debit, or even the entire account, which means your money becomes inaccessible, often leaving you with no choice but to close the account. Upon closure, the bank may return your funds via transfer or demand draft (DD). While unfreezing the account is possible, it can be a lengthy process, sometimes requiring the assistance of a chartered accountant (CA) to resolve.

Here are a few examples based on my personal experience:

1. Indusind Bank:- Total Freeze customer H.N.I. and has a pioneer account. He choose to try an unfreeze the said account and has been dealing with the BM almost daily but they have also involved the AML team which means this will either not get unfrozen or will take a long time. The number of UPI transactions exceeded 300 per month and was always of an mid-heavy amount "15000-90000"

2. Federal Bank:- Credit Freeze customer H.N.I and has a celesta account. He choose to close his account after trying to get the account unfrozen but the bank BM asked for his stock trading record which has nothing to do with the account or bank and is seperate to all this. The account generally had been used to park fund from O.D. to hedge against bad/lost trades. All the credit & debit was done via UPI generally 90-120 in a month but all high value.

3. HDFC Bank:- No freeze till date this is the orignal account of a H.N.I. customer and the only issue he has had was the BM telling him to not use UPI and shift to something else or if he wants to use UPI then open A/C in another bank. Similar high U.P.I. usage patterns as above examples but thankfully the account is working fine till date.

4. IDFC Bank:- Oddly enough no freeze till date the account was opened by an H.N.I. customer last year in March and had large number of U.P.I. transactions initially but then the account was left unused for a few months and yet again he has started to use this as his go to UPI account since the last 2 months without a freeze yet.

What are your experiences and opinions on this matter?

Dear All

With the increasing number of accounts being frozen, particularly due to a high volume of UPI transactions, it has become crucial to identify the few reliable banks that refrain from taking such actions. Account freezes can affect credit, debit, or even the entire account, which means your money becomes inaccessible, often leaving you with no choice but to close the account. Upon closure, the bank may return your funds via transfer or demand draft (DD). While unfreezing the account is possible, it can be a lengthy process, sometimes requiring the assistance of a chartered accountant (CA) to resolve.

1. Indusind Bank:- Total Freeze customer H.N.I. and has a pioneer account. He choose to try an unfreeze the said account and has been dealing with the BM almost daily but they have also involved the AML team which means this will either not get unfrozen or will take a long time. The number of UPI transactions exceeded 300 per month and was always of an mid-heavy amount "15000-90000"

2. Federal Bank:- Credit Freeze customer H.N.I and has a celesta account. He choose to close his account after trying to get the account unfrozen but the bank BM asked for his stock trading record which has nothing to do with the account or bank and is seperate to all this. The account generally had been used to park fund from O.D. to hedge against bad/lost trades. All the credit & debit was done via UPI generally 90-120 in a month but all high value.

3. HDFC Bank:- No freeze till date this is the orignal account of a H.N.I. customer and the only issue he has had was the BM telling him to not use UPI and shift to something else or if he wants to use UPI then open A/C in another bank. Similar high U.P.I. usage patterns as above examples but thankfully the account is working fine till date.

4. IDFC Bank:- Oddly enough no freeze till date the account was opened by an H.N.I. customer last year in March and had large number of U.P.I. transactions initially but then the account was left unused for a few months and yet again he has started to use this as his go to UPI account since the last 2 months without a freeze yet.

How much is high number of UPI account? Are you guys doing chit fund business?

WHY were they using Savings Bank account for such high volume, high value trxns ? SB A/c is NOT MEANT for that. SB has a limit on the number of trxns in a quarter/month.

They should have opened n used a CURRENT ACCOUNT instead of SB. CA A/c - usually - doesn't have such a limit on trxns.

Why blame banks n BMs when these so-called HNIs mis-select and mis-use SB accounts ?

It's like using personal CCs for commercial n business purposes. And, crying when those CCs are blocked.

Illeterates - I can understand.
But, educated doing such mistakes ?

The number of UPI transactions exceeded 300 per month and was always of an mid-heavy amount "15000-90000"
If I had bank
I would have blacklisted the person

300 UPI come on for God sake

Any sane person with job don't need that UPI for saving account

If you have 300 UPI kindly open current account and do imps and neft etc

No away in a month you have send 300 new person to UPI

If it's recurring use neft

Dear All

We do need a sort of list to identify good, better and avoid lists of banks for regular UPI usage.
While I don't do so many transactions as in the op, I think we should have a proper list.

Till date, I have had SB accounts in
the following banks. Now CLOSED.
HSBC
CITI
BOB
BOI
AB
SBI
UBOI
IDBIB
ICICIB
AXISB
RBLB
DBSB
PNB

CURRENTLY, I have SB Accounts in
SBI
HDFC
KOTAK
NSDL PB
JIO PB
IP PB
AIRTEL PB

Additionally, I/we hold Current Accounts in SBI.

NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THESE BANKS/ACCOUNTS.

Till date, I have had SB accounts in
the following banks. Now CLOSED.
HSBC
CITI
BOB
BOI
AB
SBI
UBOI
IDBIB
ICICIB
AXISB
RBLB
DBSB
PNB

CURRENTLY, I have SB Accounts in
SBI
HDFC
KOTAK
NSDL PB
JIO PB
IP PB
AIRTEL PB

Additionally, I/we hold Current Accounts in SBI.

NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THESE BANKS/ACCOUNTS.
IPPB account, is it possible to use it online?
Please give us a review on IPPB account and NSDL account, if possible.

IPPB account, is it possible to use it online?
Please give us a review on IPPB account and NSDL account, if possible.
NSDL JIFFY is like any other digital account. Virtual RuPay Platinum DC. Can do all types of trxns. Very smooth.
I did NEFT/IMPS/UPI/Transfer/SI...
You should be prepared for some charges. I don't mind them, as the service is very good (fully online n digital n no need to call/talk to anyone or any branch). No marketing calls or emails. Happy.

IPPB - I use it for only withdrawal of interests on Postal FDs. I transfer from this account to bank account - thru IMPS/NEFT. Not taken DC. Not taken cheque book. This account is primarily opened/used to avoid physically going to PO/HPO for withdrawal. I am happy with it. No issues. No marketing calls or emails.

While doing 300 transactions in a month on an SB account is certainly asking for trouble, banks like IDFC First and IndusInd are notorious for harassing customers for regular everyday UPI transactions. Had to deal with a freeze on my IDFC account early this year. I was only transferring funds from my own other bank accounts, primarily my PNB salary account and then they came up with the freeze. Had to go to branch and give them the statement of the other account to resolve the problem. Their issue seems to be more with credit transactions than debit.
Also have SB accounts with Federal Bank and PNB, and haven't faced problems as yet...

300 transactions, means 10 per day which is normally the max. at this point you're better getting a creditcard or something.

NSDL JIFFY is like any other digital account. Virtual RuPay Platinum DC. Can do all types of trxns. Very smooth.
I did NEFT/IMPS/UPI/Transfer/SI...
You should be prepared for some charges. I don't mind them, as the service is very good (fully online n digital n no need to call/talk to anyone or any branch). No marketing calls or emails. Happy.

IPPB - I use it for only withdrawal of interests on Postal FDs. I transfer from this account to bank account - thru IMPS/NEFT. Not taken DC. Not taken cheque book. This account is primarily opened/used to avoid physically going to PO/HPO for withdrawal. I am happy with it. No issues. No marketing calls or emails.
@RAMESH BABU N
If I have an MIS and the monthly interest is credited to my IPOS account, I would like to know whether the amount will still be deposited into the IPOS account if I link my IPBB account, or will it be directed to the IPBB account instead?

Please let me know when you get a time sir.

Please let me know when you get a time sir.
IPPB SB account is different from the old PostOffice SB account (POSB). Usually, the Post Office TDR/FD interest is credited to POSB.

You need to use IPPB App and transfer frunds from POSB to IPPB (internal transfer) and from there to any bank account - via IMPS/NEFT/UPI.

IPPB SB account is different from the old PostOffice SB account (POSB). Usually, the Post Office TDR/FD interest is credited to POSB.

You need to use IPPB App and transfer frunds from POSB to IPPB (internal transfer) and from there to any bank account - via IMPS/NEFT/UPI.
Ok so in the IPBB app we have the provision to do POSB TO IPBB money transfer. That's nice.

@RAMESH BABU N Thank you sir for clarifying.

1. Indusind Bank:- Total Freeze customer H.N.I. and has a pioneer account. ......................................

My primary UPI account is at IndusInd. Never, ever, faced any issues. Of course, never even remotely approached insane numbers like 300 transactions per month.

The number of UPI transactions exceeded 300 per month and was always of an mid-heavy amount "15000-90000"

Let's dig a bit deeper, shall we?

You're talking > 300 transactions per month. i.e. > 10 transactions per day on an average. At 15k to 90k per transaction this would translate to a total exceeding 1.5 L to 9 L per day!!! .... Now what are those daily UPI transactions limits again?!

Last edited:
How much is high number of UPI account? Are you guys doing chit fund business?
The Freq of UPI's around 8-10 per day is quite normal this mind you includes the transactions of transfer and payment.
WHY were they using Savings Bank account for such high volume, high value trxns ? SB A/c is NOT MEANT for that. SB has a limit on the number of trxns in a quarter/month.

They should have opened n used a CURRENT ACCOUNT instead of SB. CA A/c - usually - doesn't have such a limit on trxns.

Why blame banks n BMs when these so-called HNIs mis-select and mis-use SB accounts ?

It's like using personal CCs for commercial n business purposes. And, crying when those CCs are blocked.

Illeterates - I can understand.
But, educated doing such mistakes ?
While I agree with you but in principle they can't open CA for personal transactions. The person in the first example is a architectural consultant and prefers to use UPI for everthing which is totally legal to do as UPI is a method of transfer and when compounded with correct papers is as good as NEFT/RTGS/Etc while being a much faster method of transfer.

Additionally it should be noted that the firm "Co-owned" of which he is a part of has an CA which he has acess to but cant use singly "UPI" due to dual MOP. He was advised by the cluster head to open a HNI account "Pioneer" with a huge IP since that is a product meant for HNI's and he would not have any issues.
If I had bank
I would have blacklisted the person

300 UPI come on for God sake

Any sane person with job don't need that UPI for saving account

If you have 300 UPI kindly open current account and do imps and neft etc

No away in a month you have send 300 new person to UPI

If it's recurring use neft
As said earlier 10 UPI transactions per day is not out of normality. It is certainly a high number but not something the genral public is not engaging in. Also CA's are not the solution for a personal UPI transactions where the user is not engaged in business activities in regards to the UPI transactions.
...You're talking > 300 transactions per month. i.e. > 10 transactions per day on an average. At 15k to 90k per transaction this would translate to a total exceeding 1.5 L to 9 L per day!!! .... Now what are those daily UPI transactions limits again?!
That is a range I did not say he does 90k x 10 transactions its mix and match but genrally the high amounting transactions are 15-90k range plus other in a day.

@Eye of Ajay

Not withstanding what you tried to justify, these guys using SB accounts is incorrect.
Neither the customers nor that joker-agent knew the suitability of the various products. Probably, that agent got to fulfill his quota.

It is wrong to say that individuals can not open Current Accounts.

In addition to SB accounts, my wife and I also have Current Accounts with SBI.

Justifying the advantages of UPI will - in no way - justify using SB in place of CA for business transactions.

I see nothing wrong in those Bankers blocking the relative SB accounts.

Dear All

As everyone said, just open a current account with any bank and you won't face such problems.

Back