• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UPI Mandate failure due to low balance. Consequences?

JimCarrey

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have been setting up UPI mandates for some subscriptions from an account which has very low balance (<100).
This is intentional, if I forget at any point of time to stop the mandate in future, the mandate should fail, on the otherhand if I want the mandate to go through, I will have enough balance. Additionally, no rogue / buggy code of any app/ service cannot mistakenly charge me more.

for en example.
Currently Discovery plus via times prime coupon allows you to take 3 months of trial. A mandate has to be set for 499 / month. They promise to charge a token of 1₹ every month for 3 months, then they will charge ₹199.
This means I cannot just subscribe for 3 months and cancel the mandate, the cancellation has to be on the last month.
If I forget, I will be charged ₹199 and then I will have to request for reversal. Or if there's any bug in developers' code I might get charged 499 as well.

I have faced similar confusion in keeping the mandate on for few days on several trial subscriptions, or even when I think I might renew but unsure.

So back to my question. Will there be any fine for the UPI mandate failure due to low balances? Or amount blocking on the account? Or account blocked due to such failure?

Solution
Dialing @Abhishek012 for answer

season 4 rotary phone GIF
No, penalty charges except loan repayment or EMI payment.

Other merchant UPI AutoPay no penalty charges.

Also note - this fees are charged by banks. If you have good relation with banks then banks will reverse the charges,
I have been setting up UPI mandates for some subscriptions from an account which has very low balance (<100).
This is intentional, if I forget at any point of time to stop the mandate in future, the mandate should fail, on the otherhand if I want the mandate to go through, I will have enough balance. Additionally, no rogue / buggy code of any app/ service cannot mistakenly charge me more.

for en example.
Currently Discovery plus via times prime coupon allows you to take 3 months of trial. A mandate has to be set for 499 / month. They promise to charge a token of 1₹ every month for 3 months, then they will charge ₹199.
This means I cannot just subscribe for 3 months and cancel the mandate, the cancellation has to be on the last month.
If I forget, I will be charged ₹199 and then I will have to request for reversal. Or if there's any bug in developers' code I might get charged 499 as well.

I have faced similar confusion in keeping the mandate on for few days on several trial subscriptions, or even when I think I might renew but unsure.

So back to my question. Will there be any fine for the UPI mandate failure due to low balances? Or amount blocking on the account? Or account blocked due to such failure?
Dialing @Abhishek012 for answer

season 4 rotary phone GIF

for en example.

UPI mandate failure do not incur penalty as of now.

Back