• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UPI urgent help required

TF Premier
I have 2 mobile numbers since 2011. One is 902XXXXX44 (A) and other is 992XXXXX55(B).
I have been using number A as my primary number and all of the accounts/ credit cards have same number.
I don't have any bank account linked to Number B.
The number B belonged to some person X before 2011.

Today one of my friend sent money using cred UPI. He inadvertently selected number B and the transaction went through.
When I checked the UPI ID 992XXXXX55@UPI, it shows the name of person X. To my surprise I am unable to register on BHIM using number B. However I successfully registered it on phonepe.

Now I don't understand how can someone have UPI linked to my number when I own the number since almost 14 years.

What should I do? Is there any way to reverse the transaction made by my friend on cred?

It is possible. If you open kotak 811 account you can fill any number and by default upi id 9xxxxxxxx@kotak will be created for that number.

Something similar could be possible with other banks.

It is possible. If you open kotak 811 account you can fill any number and by default upi id 9xxxxxxxx@kotak will be created for that number.

Something similar could be possible with other banks.
AFAIK Number@UPI is the UPI ID generated by BHIM app.

I have 2 mobile numbers since 2011. One is 902XXXXX44 (A) and other is 992XXXXX55(B).
I have been using number A as my primary number and all of the accounts/ credit cards have same number.
I don't have any bank account linked to Number B.
The number B belonged to some person X before 2011.

Today one of my friend sent money using cred UPI. He inadvertently selected number B and the transaction went through.
When I checked the UPI ID 992XXXXX55@UPI, it shows the name of person X. To my surprise I am unable to register on BHIM using number B. However I successfully registered it on phonepe.

Now I don't understand how can someone have UPI linked to my number when I own the number since almost 14 years.

What should I do? Is there any way to reverse the transaction made by my friend on cred?
IMO its not possible, something bad happened in this case, as your friend might have selected upi number in stead of upi. UPI number is different and upi id may be different. But at the same time its strange how come the Bhim id xxxx@upi is showing in other persons name since that number is available with you? anyways, before some rule was introduced bby the NPCI that if you have sent the money to wrong account, you may get your money back by reporting it to the bank

IMO its not possible, something bad happened in this case, as your friend might have selected upi number in stead of upi. UPI number is different and upi id may be different. But at the same time its strange how come the Bhim id xxxx@upi is showing in other persons name since that number is available with you? anyways, before some rule was introduced bby the NPCI that if you have sent the money to wrong account, you may get your money back by reporting it to the bank
Okay. My friend has disputed the transaction with bank and also registered a complaint on NPCI portal.

UPI Number is a 8-9 Digit number whereas mobile number is 10 Digits. Further whenever I enter UPI ID 992XXXXX55@UPI that shows the other persons name. This is strange. AFAIK, Bhim does not allow you to change your UPI ID.

Back