• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

US Amex Card

TechUser

TF Buzz
Hello! I am looking to get a US Amex card. I have an ITIN already. But im stuck at address proof part. Any thoughts on what I can provide as address proof?

I returned from the US 4 years ago and still continue to retain all my cards from the US. During the move, I redirected and updated the postal address for all cards to my cousin's. I am not 100% sure about all the changes in the tax laws and how it's going to impact me, but as far as I know, cards are not an issue (and AMEX doesn't care about the ITIN address as mentioned above as long as you have a decent credit history), but bank accounts may have to be closed. I travel to the US on business or for personal reasons approx. once every couple of years and it always makes sense for me to have the local card instead of the Indian ones. Also, a majority of the US issued cards (not AMEX other than the Delta version) have zero markup fees on international transactions. This in my view is far better than keeping track of the Indian CCs who have zero or minimal forex + GST.

I returned from the US 4 years ago and still continue to retain all my cards from the US. During the move, I redirected and updated the postal address for all cards to my cousin's. I am not 100% sure about all the changes in the tax laws and how it's going to impact me, but as far as I know, cards are not an issue (and AMEX doesn't care about the ITIN address as mentioned above as long as you have a decent credit history), but bank accounts may have to be closed. I travel to the US on business or for personal reasons approx. once every couple of years and it always makes sense for me to have the local card instead of the Indian ones. Also, a majority of the US issued cards (not AMEX other than the Delta version) have zero markup fees on international transactions. This in my view is far better than keeping track of the Indian CCs who have zero or minimal forex + GST.
That’s great! I would love to be in your position haha. But if you closed your US bank accounts, then how are you making the Amex Bill payments every month? Don’t you need a US bank account to make the payments every month?

That’s great! I would love to be in your position haha. But if you closed your US bank accounts, then how are you making the Amex Bill payments every month? Don’t you need a US bank account to make the payments every month?
I did not close my bank account. I retained one with Discover (Savings) to do exactly that. I also disclose my foreign Interest Income (a few hundred dollars) in my tax return in India and pay taxes on it. Interestingly, it turned out quite well for me serendipitously. The rupee depreciated over 10-12% in the last 4 years and the interest rate in the US Savings account was higher than the interest rate in India Savings account. So effectively I actually did make a high degree of return on balances left in the US.

Back