• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Ways to Fund IPO

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
In the past few months, I have been applying for multiple IPOs. Even though the allotment of IPO is like a lottery, if I am applying for 10-20 IPOs I am getting 2 or more allotments & the listing gains are good which pays off for the IPO hustle. Now the problem is that for IPO application, we need to have liquid cash in the bank which goes into hold until allotment. If I target to apply for 4-5 IPOs at the same time, then I need to have 5-15L as liquid cash in bank account. But logically 3-5 L should be sufficient as it is unlikely for anyone to get all the 5 IPO allotments at the same time and I can use the rest of the amount for better purposes.

To overcome this fund shortage, I was thinking of opening an Overdraft facility based on my savings/salary account. I assumed that if I have OD for 10L or so, I just need to have 5L in account for IPO application. As the funds are technically not withdrawn/utilized there will be no fee/charges. (the cash that I have in my account should be sufficient in the event of 1 or 2 IPO allotments). Even in the odd scenario where I get more allotments than the cash in hand, the OD will fill in and the interest charged is marginal (as I am just looking for listing gains and hence the OD tenure is not more than 5-6 days) and can be easily set off by the listing gains.

So my questions are:
1) - Is my assumption of banks not charging interest on OD amount "on hold" - is that true or not? (technically I am not drawing out any funds but is just on hold by the bank during the IPO process)
2) - If I have to open a current account just for ODs what is the procedure? Will they give me OD facility just because I opened a current account and have a good CIBIL and salary? (I do not have any operating business - where I can show profits)
3) - Is there any better method that anyone is following to minimize the free cash in bank account - for IPO application?

OD accounts from ICICI cannot be used for the below:

• Investing in real estate
  • Lottery
  • Gaming
  • Digital Currency/Coin
  • Gambling
  • Betting
  • Chit fund financing or any other speculative activity
  • Purchasing gold, jewellery and gems
  • Investing in stock market, mutual funds, F&O, market-driven bonds, funds and chits
  • Repayment of credit facility availed from ICICI Bank such as Loan, Credit Card and OD facility etc.

OD accounts from ICICI cannot be used for the below:

• Investing in real estate
  • Lottery
  • Gaming
  • Digital Currency/Coin
  • Gambling
  • Betting
  • Chit fund financing or any other speculative activity
  • Purchasing gold, jewellery and gems
  • Investing in stock market, mutual funds, F&O, market-driven bonds, funds and chits
  • Repayment of credit facility availed from ICICI Bank such as Loan, Credit Card and OD facility etc.
Thanks. This puts my entire research on OD to dustbin - as the other banks will also have similar rules. The best part is that my HDFC RM and IndusInd Customer care reps are completely not aware of this and were asking me to open a current account (even though I had explained to them the purpose).

Thanks. This puts my entire research on OD to dustbin - as the other banks will also have similar rules. The best part is that my HDFC RM and IndusInd Customer care reps are completely not aware of this and were asking me to open a current account (even though I had explained to them the purpose).
These OD accounts come at a renewal cost and I think RMs are just interested to add the value to their portfolio to show the sale to the bank.

nice suggestion. would you suggest this approach rather than having all the funds in bank acc?
I don't think so, because imo this is for big investors and hni's. They are expert and knowledgeable in this.
If you have knowledge about it then you can go otherwise seek advice from who are expert in this.

Thanks for raising the query. I was under the same though process since some time. Did anyone reply on this thread if it has been implemented ? PS - I am having Yes Bank & SBI Accounts.

Back