• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What happen to PPF A/C if we close savings account with the bank?

zealot

TF Ace
I have savings account and PPF account with ICICI. Recently I tried to open new wealth account. But they want 25L TRV to upgrade to wealth account for existing customer. So I am thinking to close the existing account and open a new one with 5L cheque. But I have a doubt what will happen to my PPF account if I closed the savings account?

I have savings account and PPF account with ICICI. Recently I tried to open new wealth account. But they want 25L TRV to upgrade to wealth account for existing customer. So I am thinking to close the existing account and open a new one with 5L cheque. But I have a doubt what will happen to my PPF account if I closed the savings account?
+1

you have to transfer the ppf account to other bank before closing the ppf linked saving account.

a lot of people say that to me, but the whole govt office vibe in the bank is a total turn off for me! im planning to open an account in some other bank now :D
Ha, waise abhi Modi ji ane ke baad sab online hua he n streamline bhi. Every private-public banks supports all the features of government scheme n all.

So, we can choose any bank now a days.

You can shift ppf to any bank but as it is a govt scheme it is considered more like a govt account only in any bank. You can open new wealth account with 10 L deposit without needing to close older account

It is somewhat mandatory to link a bank account to your PPF account, but a saving account and PPF account are separate entities. So, while withdrawing or transferring funds, you will have problems if any bank account is not linked. So, although, the impact on your PPF account will not be severe instantly, it is safest to add another bank to it.
In most cases, it is best to use a permanent bank account (like you have no intention to close it) to link to such critical long term investments.

Example :- In my case, SBI.

Your PPF acount will remain active. After opening new account, you can link that ppf account to new account.

But when I linked, the closed account also linked with new account. So now I can manage New account, Closed account and PPF

Nothing happens. For decades, I have ONLY a PPF account in Central Bank and was transferring amount directly to it. Decades later, I opened a Savings account. They are independent.

I think PPF account can remain. Check with bank to confirm

Back