• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

DCB What Happens to My DCB/Infina Points if I Get a Refund After Using Them?

ankiiiii

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I recently booked hotels for my trip using my DCB card, earning 22k points (10k accelerated and the rest normal). After the statement cycle, I used these points to book my flight.

However, I found a better hotel and am planning to cancel my existing booking, which is fully refundable, to make a new one. The dilemma is, I have already used the points from the hotel booking for my flight.

If I cancel my hotel booking, what happens next? Will HDFC charge me money on my statement, or will my points balance go negative?
Also, will the new hotel booking get the capped accelerated rewards as the old booking has been cancelled?

Solution
When you make a booking, it goes into your points 'earned' but not usable. Mostly will get deducted from there. If u cancel after bill generated, then it'll go into minus and u won't get any points until it squares off. If u close card, you'll have to pay.
The computation is all done around what got credited back to your card. In your case, if you cancel the hotel booking and entire amount is refunded, the entire points will be deducted from your points balance. I have never seen it go into negative like you are pointing even though in my case also it should have gone into negatives, but it stayed at zero only. But by the time of statement generation, I had earned enough points again and then in the statement, every thing was offset correctly.
I cannot comment then what happens if you maintain a negative points balance till your statement generation date.
Statement generation date is therefore the key part of points computation for HDFC. This also means you can do any number of bookings and any number of cancellations, you will earn accelerated points for all transactions till you hit the capping.

When you make a booking, it goes into your points 'earned' but not usable. Mostly will get deducted from there. If u cancel after bill generated, then it'll go into minus and u won't get any points until it squares off. If u close card, you'll have to pay.

Solution
Back