• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Which American express card to take ? You can share your thoughts and opinions

In my opinion I would rate Amex cards as follows :

1. Platinum Travel Credit card

Suits both Salaried and Self employed who travels domestic . Best on returns for high spenders .
Any kind of spending including fuel insurance utilities , Number of transaction doesn't matter, Supplementary card spending also will be taken into account . 8 domestic lounge access.

2.Membership Rewards Credit Card

Suits salaried and for people who can always have calculated spending
Excellent 18K and 24K Catalogues .No complimentary lounge access.

3.Platinum Charge Card

Suits self employed and frequent traveler. For people who spends very less on cards
1+4 supplementary Metal cards
• No Pre-Set Limit • Lounges • Platinum Travel • Lodging Benefits • Kaizen Benefits • Dining Benefits • Platinum Concierge • Membership Rewards • Platinum Offers: Tactical and Long Term Offers • Platinum Travel Services and Experiences • Platinum Care • Platinum Experience

4.Reserve Credit Card

Depends on your lifestyle .
Has good dining benefits(Taj and eazydiner prime),12 Complimentary lounge access including Delhi and Mumbai Amex centurion lounges ,2 Complimentary golf access every month
Flipkart/BMS movie vouchers up to 6K every year,10K Taj vouchers for a spend of 5L a year.
• Platinum Concierge Services
• Air Accident Insurance of Rs.1 Cr. – This is applicable when you purchase your air ticket on the Platinum Reserve Credit Card
• Purchase Protection: If an item is stolen due to burglary or damages or breaks due to fire, earthquake, flood, storm, cyclone, etc. within 60 days of purchase, it can be refunded.

5. Smart Earn Credit card

Personally I wont suggest anyone . You can take this if you would like to have an Amex card at the lowest fee

Good write up and you've missed my fav gold charge (maybe u spoke about the plat charge so gold ignored).
My AmEx cards are SE, MRCC and Gold charge (took in combo for a 5k RPs in a month so that 60k RP when turned to MB or any flyer can be used for a family trip in an year, first month of the card good to get 4k points joining benefits each in gold charge and mrcc)

Thanks :) I intentionally ignored gold charge as its a very risk product as the interest rates are higher and there is no revolving options . In my 6 years with Amex I have hardly sold 2-3 gold charge cards. Looks like you have a great understanding of cards. You can take any card.
You should soon take plat charge. Hopefully.

Good write up and you've missed my fav gold charge (maybe u spoke about the plat charge so gold ignored).
My AmEx cards are SE, MRCC and Gold charge (took in combo for a 5k RPs in a month so that 60k RP when turned to MB or any flyer can be used for a family trip in an year, first month of the card good to get 4k points joining benefits each in gold charge and mrcc)
I closed Gold charge card owing to it's high renewal fee. What is so good about gold charge card other than monthly milestone? I think MRCC is lot better in terms on reward and annual fee(and there is annual waiver for spend more than 1.5 lakh in a year which is very use to do).
I have Platinum travel card and MRCC card. Platinum travel card is newly added a month back.

Thanks :) I intentionally ignored gold charge as its a very risk product as the interest rates are higher and there is no revolving options . In my 6 years with Amex I have hardly sold 2-3 gold charge cards. Looks like you have a great understanding of cards. You can take any card.
You should soon take plat charge. Hopefully.
Yes, a long as one is disciplined with finance then charge cards are to be considered in their game and ideally i wish everyone should own a charge card to learn well the finance and my pick of gold charge is to carry abroad the Indian credit history in future wherever required.

I closed Gold charge card owing to it's high renewal fee. What is so good about gold charge card other than monthly milestone? I think MRCC is lot better in terms on reward and annual fee(and there is annual waiver for spend more than 1.5 lakh in a year which is very use to do).
I have Platinum travel card and MRCC card. Platinum travel card is newly added a month back.
yes with same renewal fee MRCC is there but still its (GoldCharge) attractive with the 5x on rewards multiplier and all my gyfter needs i'm routing through 5x and on top of all the glitter/shiny look i got addicted and only miss i feel is the non metal version.....if thats there then its really damn a gold beauty

yes with same renewal fee MRCC is there but still its (GoldCharge) attractive with the 5x on rewards multiplier and all my gyfter needs i'm routing through 5x and on top of all the glitter/shiny look i got addicted and only miss i feel is the non metal version.....if thats there then its really damn a gold beauty
I have never paid annual charges on MRCC. I started my AMEX journey in 2015 with Gold card. At that time, monthly milestone was 4 times 1K transaction to get 1000 points. And for annual renewal charges they used to give good number of points. But when they changed 6 times 1K transaction and started giving less points on renewal, I moved to MRCC. So, far I have extracted profit more than 1 lakh from AMEX :P

I have never paid annual charges on MRCC. I started my AMEX journey in 2015 with Gold card. At that time, monthly milestone was 4 times 1K transaction to get 1000 points. And for annual renewal charges they used to give good number of points. But when they changed 6 times 1K transaction and started giving less points on renewal, I moved to MRCC. So, far I have extracted profit more than 1 lakh from AMEX :p
Mostly I used to take credit statement. I was not much into hotel/air mile conversion.

Some people get MRCC LTF as a companion card with Gold charge card.
IMO if one uses 20k per month the MRCC for making 2k points then no matter its companion or not since we cross the charge free milestone of 1,5l of mrcc however if hey club i will be happy, no need to watch it in excel whether i reach 1,5 or not haha

I have never paid annual charges on MRCC. I started my AMEX journey in 2015 with Gold card. At that time, monthly milestone was 4 times 1K transaction to get 1000 points. And for annual renewal charges they used to give good number of points. But when they changed 6 times 1K transaction and started giving less points on renewal, I moved to MRCC. So, far I have extracted profit more than 1 lakh from AMEX :p
honest feedback dude.
yes if one is able to get 1:1 in travel/hotel then Amex RPs are much worthy that too amex points are evergreen until we spend

Back