• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why use SMB, FI, IndusInd signature, or pioneer debit card when you have wow idfc CC with 0 Fx charge?

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Which country? I did street shopping too in Europe for many gifts not a single place without card swipe even a waffle shop was having swipe machine.
But yeah for some donation like street performance I took some cash with me or for like candy may be or for painkiller if you taking only 1-2.

I agree may be you have different experience in dubai :)
I faced issues in Estonia , Dubai , Paris , Austria , Swaziland , Mozambique and almost in all African countries as well as Latam like Guatemala , Mexico City
Well I agree , the DC/CC accessibility in Europe is great , but I really like to shop from really small stores mostly hawkers where even in developed countries cash has been a great help to me .

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
heard shady things about it ...they charge 1% extra something above conversion rate
Banks cannot charge you separately , if they charge then it will be a forex markup ( commission or servixe charge ) and then a gst component is mandatory on that charge , so when a card is saying 0 forex markup then no way bank can charge extra over the network conversion rate and fees
I think what you are saying here is , the exchange rate that was shown in google , the transaction was processed with 1% extra on that rate , because what google shows is mid market rate or spot rate , network such as visa , MC , Unionpay have their own conversion rate ( MC is mostly better ) and then both visa and MC charges 1% extra as their fees , and then bank can charge their commissions as forex markup which is generally 3.5% + gst
So if a bank is saying 0 Markup that means it has to proceed in the Same (1% fees ind network + network conversion rate only ) otherwise it’s illegal and no bank would do that

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
someone is fighting with nodal team past 6-7 months regarding this ...it was from desidime i guess
There is no need to fight with nodal officer for 6-7 months
If that is done that is completely illegal , complaining directly to RBI can solve the issue in a week . if extra 1% is charged without GST , then the same should also has to be reported to GST department as it is again a tax evasion .

bimanpaul

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Banks cannot charge you separately , if they charge then it will be a forex markup ( commission or servixe charge ) and then a gst component is mandatory on that charge , so when a card is saying 0 forex markup then no way bank can charge extra over the network conversion rate and fees
I think what you are saying here is , the exchange rate that was shown in google , the transaction was processed with 1% extra on that rate , because what google shows is mid market rate or spot rate , network such as visa , MC , Unionpay have their own conversion rate ( MC is mostly better ) and then both visa and MC charges 1% extra as their fees , and then bank can charge their commissions as forex markup which is generally 3.5% + gst
So if a bank is saying 0 Markup that means it has to proceed in the Same (1% fees ind network + network conversion rate only ) otherwise it’s illegal and no bank would do that
Is there any website where we can see the Conversion rate?
Is it live or fixed for a day?