• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Air India Screwed Me. Never book UA flights with them.

Is it because that particular flight is only an ALL-ECONOMY-CLASS FLIGHT with no First Class seats ?

Generally this happens, when there is a code-share arrangement between various carriers. When we travelled between LHR (London) to AUS (Austin TX) on what is a British Airways flight (operated by BA), the boarding gate and the boarding displays announced about 4 other carriers/airlines all pointing to the same flight leaving LHR to AUS. In such a scenario, there will be quite a lot of differences amongst these 4 carriers (and the BA) with regard to their miles, eligibility and reservation handling.

This case could be a result of such a scenario. My guess.

This is horrific, tag them on Twitter and ask for clarification.

And also by any chance, did you check on UA if there's any first class seat available?

And also by any chance, did you check on UA if there's any first class seat available?
Even if there were to be any First Class seats in that UA flight, in a code sharing arrangement with others (like AI), usually, Economy Class seats are shared. Because, the UA can not increase the price of those allocated seats given to other partners. So, usually, the top tier seats are not shared (like Business/First/Premium Economy...).

So, it is always better to buy tickets from the main owner-operator than with the other code-shared carriers.

One more reason to do so - in case of auto upgrades, co-shared pax will (most often) not get such a benefit.

Is it because that particular flight is only an ALL-ECONOMY-CLASS FLIGHT with no First Class seats ?

Generally this happens, when there is a code-share arrangement between various carriers. When we travelled between LHR (London) to AUS (Austin TX) on what is a British Airways flight (operated by BA), the boarding gate and the boarding displays announced about 4 other carriers/airlines all pointing to the same flight leaving LHR to AUS. In such a scenario, there will be quite a lot of differences amongst these 4 carriers (and the BA) with regard to their miles, eligibility and reservation handling.

This case could be a result of such a scenario. My guess.

Even if there were to be any First Class seats in that UA flight, in a code sharing arrangement with others (like AI), usually, Economy Class seats are shared. Because, the UA can not increase the price of those allocated seats given to other partners. So, usually, the top tier seats are not shared (like Business/First/Premium Economy...).

So, it is always better to buy tickets from the main owner-operator than with the other code-shared carriers.

One more reason to do so - in case of auto upgrades, co-shared pax will (most often) not get such a benefit.
Flight does have first class.

There is clearly a bug on AI end that caused this.

They did refund me in full but this is highly unacceptable.

With the merger and everything goes on, things might have gotten messy.

Glad you got the full refund! Definitely a lot of scope for improvement.

How did you manage your full refund ?
I just now transferred points to Air India miles and the miles expire in 2 years.

Do you need to 1st book two award flights using miles for yourself, and then book award flights using miles for your spouse and other family members?

How did you manage your full refund ?
I just now transferred points to Air India miles and the miles expire in 2 years.

Do you need to 1st book two award flights using miles for yourself, and then book award flights using miles for your spouse and other family members?
No need for anything, you can book directly.

No need for anything, you can book directly.
My Air India FR account is only 2 days old, but I got enough miles.
Right now I cannot book an award seat for my wife, I get an error and a refund of the taxes paid.

AI customer care says that you have to wait 15 days and they say you also need to book two tickets on your name first.
Do I need to book two tickets in my name first?
with points or with cash?

Last edited:
My Air India FR account is only 2 days old, but I got enough miles.
Right now I cannot book an award seat for my wife, I get an error and a refund of the taxes paid.

AI customer care says that you have to wait 15 days and they say you also need to book two tickets on your name first.
Do I need to book two tickets in my name first?
with points or with cash?
I booked 2 tickets for myself and my wife...didn't face any issue. Though had to get it refunded due to the first class issue.

My account was over a month old if not more.

Back