• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

AMA - Bank of Baroda 2024 review - hidden Gem (HomeLoan, Radiance account, Sapphire & Rupay select debit card, Eterna CC)

urboss

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I got introduced to BOB in 2021 when I got an offer to transfer my home loan. BoB is one of handful banks who has overdraft facility for HL, just like SBI maxgain. So, I started putting all my emergency funds and non-investment funds in this account.
Recently, I got to know that my account has been upgraded to Radiance (eligibility criteria is 30L NRV) - which is their top tier account (like Imperia in HDFC) and gives access to a RM (the best part is he doesn't push for investments like my HDFC RM). I started digging deeper about Radiance benefit and in last 1 month got my self 2 highly useful debit cards and 1 credit card - all LTF.

1. My banking & branch experience: So far, I am really pleased with the overall experience. In my mind, the image of BoB was mostly a "sarakari babu" bank. If I compare it with my SBI and HDFC branches who are in same area (Delhi, a good locality)- it is way way better than SBI and at par with HDFC. The staff are courteous and ready to listen and act. May be because most of the staff are young unlike SBI. Also, may be because the volume of people to handle is less than SBI.

2. Rupay Select (Wellness) Debit card: From Technofino, I got to know that BoB issues Rupay select (wellness) debit card complimentary for some account categories. The debit card was not showing in my BoB World app, so I called my RM. He asked me to visit branch and get it checked. The same was not showing eligible in their system. After little bit of digging in TF, I got to know that I have to get my account category changed from "Baroda Advantage" to "Super Savings" which has MAB req of 25K. But I am already maintaining NRV of 30L. I again visited branch with same query. The staff was clueless as expected but willingly took my request for conversion - done same day without any follow up (linked to point no 1). Voila, the debit card started showing in my BoB world app. I applied online and received it in 3-4 working days.

3. Sapphire VISA Signature Debit card: This is their second premium (after Opulence) chargeable debit card with 750 joining & renewal charges and provide some good benefits. This is issued complimentary to Radiance customers. Applied this online and again received in 3-4 working days. Very premium packaging - the attached images doesn't show it completely. Also, BoB gives a 750 INR Lifestyle welcome voucher to offset the joining fees. I think BoB is the only bank which gives welcome benefit even if you are not paying the fees.

So, in nutshell, I have 2 savings account and in total 4 debit cards (1 Rupay Select, 1 Sapphire, 1 Rupay classic -issued by default, 1 Rupay platinum)

4. Eterna Credit card: Along with Rupay select debit card, i also filled physical application form for the ETERNA (Visa Infinite) card which is their top card and comes with a joining fees of 2,500+GST. Joining fee can be waived off by spending only 25K in first 60 days. Renewal fees of 2500+GST can be waived off by spending 2.5Lakhs in the last year. As of today, even rent/utility payment gives you reward points as well as considered for milestone benefits.

I got this LTF being a RADIANCE customer (similar to Imperia in HDFC etc.). For getting this LTF, one has to visit branch since they add some radiance tag print out along with application. The whole process took around 1 week time for approval and then 2-3 days for card arrival. The packaging was premium, way better than other card which has fees way more than 2.5K. The best part about BoB is, they give welcome benefits even if joining fees is not paid. Received the 6 months Fitpass Pro membership which is easily worth more than the joining fees.

It gives 3.75% cashback in statement, in 4 categories --online shopping, travel, dining and movies; and
1% extra cashback (4.75%) if you touch 5 lakhs because of milestone benefits. Recently, there was news to exclude some MCCs for rewards in these 4 categories but the workaround is to load the money in Payzapp and use their virtual card for payment for merchants like insurance, rent. SBI cashback is still above this given 5% no exclusion cashback, but since I got this LTF, it was no brainer for me, especially for that 6 months Fitpass pro membership.

P.S: Many thanks to TF community, I learnt some of these things about BoB in this forum. That's why this post - a consolidated review!

bob cards.jpeg eterna.jpg

Attachments

• bob sapph.jpeg
    bob sapph.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 172
I asked them to raise it from the other savings account but they have asked me to keep the same balance in the other account, I was not convinced on this since the app shows this as at a customer ID level rather than at an account level, was wondering how you managed to request select debit card on advantage account.
anyone else who was able to do so kindly let me know.
You need to upgrade your SB account to Super Savings account (25K variant) then you will see an option to apply for Select Rupay DC..
It will free forever as long as you maintain Sparkle, Shine or Rise as well ..

1721851767095.webp

For details see my journey in the other threads..

Last edited:
You need to upgrade your SB account to Super Savings account (25K variant) then you will see an option to apply for Select Rupay DC..

View attachment 62378

@SSV I read your post thanks for the details, only difference I see is you don't have an overdraft(OD) home loan linked account, in my case the bank folks created the advantage account in addition to my existing old savings account for the OD facility. In the app the old savings account is now categorised as advantage account and the newly opened account as home loan linked account.

My concern is if I update the account to let's say supersavings would I lose the OD home loan benefits , I guess I will have to check that with the branch folks unless someone here already has an experience on this.

Reactions: SSV
@SSV I read your post thanks for the details, only difference I see is you don't have an overdraft(OD) home loan linked account, in my case the bank folks created the advantage account in addition to my existing old savings account for the OD facility. In the app the old savings account is now categorised as advantage account and the newly opened account as home loan linked account.

My concern is if I update the account to let's say supersavings would I lose the OD home loan benefits , I guess I will have to check that with the branch folks unless someone here already has an experience on this.

Okay , it may be a bit complicated..

Check with your branch..
The point here is: you / your branch will never see the option to apply for " Selecrt Rupay DC" as long as your account varinat is Advantage account..
that is the point here, even your branch people also dont know about this..

Fo you to get the option to apply for Rupay Select DC, your account variant should be >= Super Savings variant ...

All the best

View attachment 62378

@SSV from where were you able to get the above image regarding RISE and SHINE accounts. checked BOB website but could not find this anywhere. can you please share the link? also are these account categories solely based on AQB? example: Classic/preferred/Imperia in HDFC ?

So if we upgrade the account from home advantage to super savings account will we have same Interest benefit where interest will not be charged for balance in savings account ?

My experience with this bank is not good when it comes to the ease of digital facilities, like you can’t activate the internet banking facilities online; you will have to go to the branch and write the application in order to do so. Also, I can’t change my communication address online as you will have to again visit the branch and give the written application to the home branch, even though I believe they have a decent app and website in comparison to the other PSU, but not offering the digital facilities is something beyond the ambit of my understanding.
As per my point of view activation of net banking should be by branch due to security concern and being a one time process however communication address should be changed online by uploading self attested documents after telephonic verification being a repeating for process for person living on rented accommodation.

Back