• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex card declined due to kinda payment history

Heisenberg37

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi there,
I applied gold card but it showed After reviewing your application, we have determined that your existing/previous American Express® Card payment history does not meet our internal criteria to move forward with your current request. As a result, we are not able to process your application.

I never missed any payment with any card
Cibil 775
Already holding mrcc and plat travel

Anyone faced same issue?

Hi there,
I applied gold card but it showed After reviewing your application, we have determined that your existing/previous American Express® Card payment history does not meet our internal criteria to move forward with your current request. As a result, we are not able to process your application.

Cibil 775

Anyone faced same issue?
Hi,

Exact same problem.

Though in my case I already hold the Gold charge & Plat Travel with them. Not a single late payment with AmEx or in CIBIL. Every time I tried applying for the mrcc / plat reserve / smart earn as the third card it shows the exact same thing "We have determined that your existing/previous American Express® Card payment history does not meet our internal criteria to move forward with your current request. As a result, we are not able to process your application."

Spoke with sales & customer services & they do NOT have a clue as they keep saying there is NO way the system can decline me given my track record with AmEx !! I really do NOT know what the issue is !

This means your existing Amex card has a late payment mark on it.
This is a error from Amex side , it happened to me too.

Just send a mail to
Head-Customerservicesindia@aexp.com

They would re-initiate the process.
Are you sure ?

The same thing keeps happening to me & having spoken to the customer service, there just as clueless. According to sales & customer services I should be able to even get an upgrade from the Gold Charge to the Plat Charge as per my ITR but the system keeps declining ! but why, well No one seems to have a clue in AmEx

Are you sure ?

The same thing keeps happening to me & having spoken to the customer service, there just as clueless. According to sales & customer services I should be able to even get an upgrade from the Gold Charge to the Plat Charge as per my ITR but the system keeps declining ! but why, well No one seems to have a clue in AmEx

How much credit limit do you have across your cards?
It seems like exposure issue '

How much credit limit do you have across your cards?
It seems like exposure issue '
1,80,000 For Plat Travel & for the Gold charge, the spend checker allows me close to 7 digit, though it allowed me above 7 digits till last year ! I have not got beyond spending 3.75L in any given month on the charge card ! Been an AmEx customer for the last 6 years !

*Update :
Spoke to a rep, ‘yet again’ today morning & he seemingly solved the mystery ! …. I had converted a few transactions into EMI for the Plat Travel, in august 2022 for 12 months & that seems to be the issue ! AmEx takes anything but ”FULL” payments on their cards even credit cards beyond 1-2 months negatively. That is why the support on the Gold charge card “decreased” too ! Apparently that is how AMEX algo works !

He assured once the emi has been paid off this month & provided no further transactions are converted to EMI or NONE of the bills are paid in parts, within 6-9 months the system will approve the new card & also the support on the charge card will be back to normal !

So be careful guys, AMEX systems takes anything but full payments ‘negatively’ no matter what they say or advertise at account level even if there is “0” late payment.

Must have been through Amex? But will wait for clark_kent to answer
Through Amex.

However, from what he told me, it seemed that doesn’t really matter. When paying in PARTS / EMI or the MIN DUE AmEx systems calculates the exposure & the risk associated. It will almost certainly reduce the support on the corresponding charge card account as well, if there one & will deny any fresh credit. A Global limit might also get applied on the corresponding charge card. Then there is the infamous AmEx “Financial Review”. So, if you’re constantly revolving credit or making min due payments, forget fresh credit & get ready for a FR from AmEx.

So, to summarise, amex systems do not have the appetite for part payments.

So Amex would rather have you transact high volumes & pay that off in full rather than pay for them transactions in parts along with interest… I guess, A) they make way more in MDR to care about interest earnings. B) AmEx seems to consider paying in parts as a sign of financial trouble & limits their exposure immediately.

Just keep making full payments & Amex will keep increasing their support upto a certain limit of course depending on other factors as well !

Last edited:
Through Amex.

However, from what he told me, it seems that doesn’t really matter. Whenever you paying in PARTS / EMI / MIN DUE, AmEx system picks it up as “exposure issue / Financial issue” & reduces support in your corresponding charge card account as well if you have one. He even told me that in some cases a “Global limit” was applied on the corresponding charge card account, if you have one that is. The infamous AmEx “Financial Review”could happen, if you’re constantly transacting in EMIs or paying the min amount due or in parts.

So, to summarise, amex systems do not like part payments. I guess they make enough in MDR to care for interests, or at least that is the impression the cust rep gave ! … AmEx seems to consider paying in parts as a sign of financial issue & limits their exposure immediately.

Just keep making full payments & Amex will keep increasing their support to an acceptable exposure risk including issuing new cards as per policy !
Makes sense(in context of Amex). Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Same here bro.This is weird , I have gold charge and platinum travel card , using it from 2017 and never missed a payment and my cibil is 801 , yet they denied my membership rewards card application stating the above .Don't know whats the reason though.
Did make any partial payment or converted anything into emi in your platinum travel card recently or in the recent past ?

I haven't opted for any emi conversion in the past nor present. Lets see, I have escalated the same to grievance team, waiting for reply.
Will you let us know what they say ? I hold a Gold Charge & Plat travel with them but every time I try to apply for the 3rd card I get the same error message since last 1 year ! Never missed a payment with them but calling cust care they said it is due to EMI conversions on Plat travel. I found that ridiculous as AmEx themselves gives offers for EMI conversions.

Hi there,

Cibil 775

Anyone faced same issue?
Bro iska kuch solution hai same problem mere sath bhi hai apply krte hi reject ho rha hai aur reason yhi late/recent payment wala hi hai

Through Amex.

However, from what he told me, it seemed that doesn’t really matter. When paying in PARTS / EMI or the MIN DUE AmEx systems calculates the exposure & the risk associated. It will almost certainly reduce the support on the corresponding charge card account as well, if there one & will deny any fresh credit. A Global limit might also get applied on the corresponding charge card. Then there is the infamous AmEx “Financial Review”. So, if you’re constantly revolving credit or making min due payments, forget fresh credit & get ready for a FR from AmEx.

So, to summarise, amex systems do not have the appetite for part payments.

So Amex would rather have you transact high volumes & pay that off in full rather than pay for them transactions in parts along with interest… I guess, A) they make way more in MDR to care about interest earnings. B) AmEx seems to consider paying in parts as a sign of financial trouble & limits their exposure immediately.

Just keep making full payments & Amex will keep increasing their support upto a certain limit of course depending on other factors as well !
Useful Information. Thank you @ray8285

Back