• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex charged my card without consent—what actions can I take?

A few days ago, I received a call from Amex insurance offering a health policy. I agreed to it initially and gave consent to charge my Amex Gold card for the premium. However, the next day, I realized the policy wasn’t suitable, so I locked domestic transactions on my card to prevent the charge. Despite this, the Amex insurance team charged the premium to my MRCC card without my consent.

What actions can I take against the bank for processing this transaction without my permission?

A few days ago, I received a call from Amex insurance offering a health policy. I agreed to it initially and gave consent to charge my Amex Gold card for the premium. However, the next day, I realized the policy wasn’t suitable, so I locked domestic transactions on my card to prevent the charge. Despite this, the Amex insurance team charged the premium to my MRCC card without my consent.

What actions can I take against the bank for processing this transaction without my permission?
How is this without your consent when you have yourself said to charge the premium on your card🤣🤣

You are contradicting your own statement here.

And Amex team would not require your txns to be turned on to charge as they could internally give instructions to deduct card from account.
(If it was not a self made txn made by entering card details and otp)

How is this without your consent when you have yourself said to charge the premium on your card🤣🤣

You are contradicting your own statement here.

And Amex team would not require your txns to be turned on to charge as they could internally give instructions to deduct card from account.
(If it was not a self made txn made by entering card details and otp)
Read my post again. I gave them consent to charge on my Gold card. But when the card was locked they charged my MRCC card.

You fell for the trap.

They've been trying to sell insurance products quite badly. From the last time I checked some of their products they had bad reviews because they are third parties, not directly AMEX.

I have blocked Amex insurance numbers. They keep calling despite telling them that I have all the required Insurances

Btw, never take insurance without comparing the benefits with other equivalent policies

You fell for the trap.

They've been trying to sell insurance products quite badly. From the last time I checked some of their products they had bad reviews because they are third parties, not directly AMEX.
Amex does not have license for own insurance products in India. Also most banks resell third party insurance products (even if they are same brand the legal entity is different) For example HDFC life and HDFC bank are different entities and technically even HDFC bank is selling third party products.

I filed transaction dispute. Initially they refused to do so, then I threatened them to file complaint with Banking ombudsman
Hope this gets sorted out and you get back your refund!

Do note consent once offered stays in place even if you change your decision later.
AmEx being AmEx will probably get you back your money and cancel the policy but if this was another bank/card, getting back your money could be tricky.

Even if you agree to buy it, ask them for some more time to be extra sure and only then offer your consent to charge the card.

Why didn't you call and cancel the insurance,
Switching off transactions doesn't work when you're buying insurance from Amex or Booking from their travel desk

Afaik you can't dispute this charge as you gave your consent, at best you can request them to cancel and refund your money(might or might not work)

k

knowing amex.. everything is recorded.. raise the dispute.. cancel the policy in free look.. see what they say.. if proven then pursue with rbi.. remember rbi needs proof!

Why didn't you call and cancel the insurance,
Switching off transactions doesn't work when you're buying insurance from Amex or Booking from their travel desk

Afaik you can't dispute this charge as you gave your consent, at best you can request them to cancel and refund your money(might or might not work)
I have consent for GOLD card. Not MRCC

Back