• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Credit Bureau Decline Reason

SmartSave

TF Premier
Anyone knows what the whole "Credit Bureau Decline" reason means?

I applied for Amex Plat Travel CC recently after carefully evaluating the criteria. I don't usually apply for all sorts of cards since I'm always under the fear of having a hard enquiry in my CIBIL report and then not getting the card if that happens. So If I'm applying, I'm selective and only apply where I feel I should get it based on the standard criteria of the banks and hold decent cards from base to premium with good limit too.

I've probably had only 2 rejections in almost a decade of proper managing and monitoring of credit report, under 1% credit utilisation from across multiple credit cards, no payment delays, no defaults, not even incorrect information in report or documents (I fix any incorrect info reports by any institutions from time to time). Well balanced of secured and unsecured credit line/loans with timely payments. Healthy and steady score which falls under good if not excellent category.

Yet this rejection with such a reason came as a surprise and I'm trying to understand what that even means and where I got it wrong.

I'm self-employed tho, ITR is over the required criteria.

Any pointers or experiences would be helpful.

I'm thinking to appeal or request for reconsideration by reaching out to the nodal officer but not sure if that's even a good idea?

I applied for Amex Plat Travel CC recently after carefully evaluating the criteria. I don't usually apply for all sorts of cards since I'm always under the fear of having a hard enquiry in my CIBIL report and then not getting the card if that happens. So If I'm applying, I'm selective and only apply where I feel I should get it based on the standard criteria of the banks and hold decent cards from base to premium with good limit too.

I've probably had only 2 rejections in almost a decade of proper managing and monitoring of credit report, under 1% credit utilisation from across multiple credit cards, no payment delays, no defaults, not even incorrect information in report or documents (I fix any incorrect info reports by any institutions from time to time). Well balanced of secured and unsecured credit line/loans with timely payments. Healthy and steady score which falls under good if not excellent category.

Yet this rejection with such a reason came as a surprise and I'm trying to understand what that even means and where I got it wrong.

I'm thinking to appeal or request for reconsideration by reaching out to the nodal officer but not sure if that's even a good idea?
I think you should appeal for reconsideration.

After all you have a strong profile 😉.

Did AmEx approve the application ? It could have been an over exposure issue, since you have almost no utilisation their systems could have assessed that you have too much available credit.

Do let us know :)

Did AmEx approve the application ? It could have been an over exposure issue, since you have almost no utilisation their systems could have assessed that you have too much available credit.

Do let us know :)

Nope. I appealed. They continue to say "due to internal policy" they're unable to approve at this time and won't disclose the real reason but it's nothing to do with my credit report is what they did tell me (which is surprising tho? if not that, then what?) told me to apply again in 90 days. Meh!

So no heavy usage is also a bad sign? What a weird algo.

My last fiscal year's CC spends were 20L+ (I thought I was below but I just got the yearly report of one of my cards, this is just one card). An active Auto Loan (zero defaults/no late payments/principle reduced too). Decent score. Healthy credit history. What more would Amex want from me lol?

Nope. I appealed. They continue to say "due to internal policy" they're unable to approve at this time and won't disclose the real reason but it's nothing to do with my credit report is what they did tell me (which is surprising tho? if not that, then what?) told me to apply again in 90 days. Meh!

My last fiscal year's CC spends were 20L+ (I thought I was below but I just got the yearly report of one of my cards, this is just one card). An active Auto Loan (zero defaults/no late payments/principle reduced too). Decent score. Healthy credit history. What more would Amex want from me lol?
Is this your first Amex application?

Yes. Is this a normal practise? First timers get rejected?
No, not like that , in fact they are giving these cards with little less strict guidelines these days..
I got my MRCC, Plat Travel both in two days almost a month ago..
Which card did you apply for ? Any referral used? You don't see any perculiarity about your CIBIL, not necessarily score any other factor which is not normal...

No, not like that , in fact they are giving these cards with little less strict guidelines these days..
I got my MRCC, Plat Travel both in two days almost a month ago..
Which card did you apply for ? Any referral used? You don't see any perculiarity about your CIBIL, not necessarily score any other factor which is not normal...

Well then that's even more surprising I didn't make it through.

I applied via a referral of someone on Twitter/X, applied for Plat Travel.

In last 7 years, I've had only 2 digit enquiries (less than 15) (I'm very particular about applying for anything, carefully examine eligibility, card, and then apply only if I'm confident I'll get it).

Edit: I monitor my report every month, fix if I find any issues but make sure everything is accurate and clean.

Well then that's even more surprising I didn't make it through.

I applied via a referral of someone on Twitter/X, applied for Plat Travel.

In last 7 years, I've had only 2 digit enquiries (I'm very particular about applying for anything, carefully examine eligibility, card, and then apply only if I'm confident I'll get it).
Believe me , the number of enquiries doesn't matter at all except for a very few Issuers like StanC..
This is overhyped especially so when you have more than 5 years of credit history with a decent portfolio..

Believe me , the number of enquiries doesn't matter at all except for a very few Issuers like StanC..
This is overhyped especially so when you have more than 5 years of credit history with a decent portfolio..
That's good to know. I just mentioned just in case if you think this would've been one of the factors.

I wish there was a way to properly get a real reason.
This is a a very big range .. 10 to 99...
Most of the issuers only care about last 3 months enquiries and max of 1 year.. Not to worry about 7 years...
Less than 15.

Last 3 months, 1 at the time of applying Amex. I got IndusInd Legend.

They continue to say "due to internal policy" they're unable to approve at this time and won't disclose the real reason but it's nothing to do with my credit report
How Old is your credit history ? Do you have a lot of cards with large limits ? AmEx or most other card issuer would never disclose a decline due to "Over Exposure" ! It all depends on your available credit to your income ratio & AmEx's risk appetite.
old me to apply again in 90 days. Meh!

Of course it has NOTHING to do with any adversity on your credit report, cause you do not have any. Decline due to Over Exposure comes when you have got too much available or used credit against the income you have. The algo checks for all the credit you have used & have available against your income & their risk appetite. Remember just coz you have NOT used the credit available to you does NOT mean you will NOT be using it in the future. Lenders like AmEX take all these data points before approving an application.

I have been with amex over 8 years now, survived one infamous AmEx FR & multiple times they putting a global limit on my charge card (esentially making the charge card into a credit card), even though I have 0 late payments with them & constantly spend North of 40L+ in year with the 2 cards (AmeX Gold Charge & Plat travel) that I hold with them.

That is how amex work.

Bro, add Federal & HSBC to the list.

Back