• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex referral scam!

Sriim

TF Ace
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hi

I would like to share my experience about how I got scammed here in TF by @MAXXCARD.

I joined TF in November 2023 and have been frequenting here since then. I've learnt a lot and maximised my rewards after joining TF. I also got introduced to the world of American Express and got my first 2 cards in MRCC and Gold in January.

Ever since Amex increased the referral benefits to 12k MR points, I've been on the lookout to exchange my referral with someone, where I'll get a Platinum travel card in exchange for someone using my referral for their 2nd or 3rd card. I thought I was being smart, but have been proved wrong.

I thought I finally found the right person when I saw @MAXXCARD posting his referral link in various threads. Seeing that he's been on this forum since 2022, I wasn't very sceptical as I've largely had a very positive experience here in TF, more so with long term users.

I DM'ed @MAXXCARD about the offer and he seemed enthusiastic towards the exchange. We exchanged referral links and he was promptly replying for the 2-3 days we (I?) took to apply and complete vKYC.

But the day I mentioned that my card has been approved, he stopped responding to DMs even though he's visiting the site daily according to the last seen function.

I was disappointed, but held hope that he was just being busy. But as days went by, the feeling that I've got scammed got stronger and stronger.

I understand that I made myself vulnerable with the offer. I also remember a post by Amex legend @coolguy1 asking a different user about what will happen if one person's application was not approved during an exchange. I thought that an existing user had high chances of getting approved for a 2nd card. And to be honest, if his application wasn't approved, I wouldn't be this disappointed.

Because right now, I've no idea if he even applied as he's ghosted me since and ignored all my messages. Let my story be a warning to all users that such scammers do exist even here in TF. But just like everything else on TF, this has also taught me something and will be careful from here on.

And if you, @MAXXCARD finally reply to my message and I'm mistaken (even though it looks unlikely with you not responding to DMs), I'll take down this post. But if you have tried to scam me, i wish you'll grow a conscience and really apply for a card with my referral link or provide me with 4K Apay vocuher (equivalent to 12k MR points).

Sorry for the long post. Be careful everyone. Attaching screenshots of the DM and last seen as on 11.30 AM, July 7

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-45-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-45-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    192.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-34-75.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-34-75.webp
    182.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-09-89.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-09-89.webp
    233.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-08-50-28.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-08-50-28.webp
    324.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-53-59.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-53-59.webp
    261.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-27-91.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-27-91.webp
    334.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-10-71.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-10-71.webp
    280.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-06-50-85.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-06-50-85.webp
    230.8 KB · Views: 113
Solution
Hey guys, i read in a few posts that you can apply for 2nd Amex the moment you get an approval email for your first. I got the approval email for my first AMEX card, the Gold Charge on Sunday and want to take the Amex MRCC. I still havent recieved any tracking or card info related details other than the approval email. Is it fine to apply for MRCC since i got the approval email?

If the answer is Yes, @Sriim , Please share your referal code and ill use it to apply . Ive learnt a lot from this community and id be happy to give something back for it!
I read your whole post and understand that you had been kind of CONNED....
this maxxcard guy got the bonus but you didn't...
see brother, on public platform you don't have any assurance that the other person will keep his words or not....
Plus this exchange system which you did should mostly be done with a person to whom you are acquainted with on personal level....
I also helped a guy in his Amex application process and he said that he used my referral but the points never got credited and the person also didn't replied back afterwards....
so don't feel low or defeated...
there are numerous Maxxcards on this forum.... think of it as charity..
moreover you got FYF Plat travel card too.... take this as your bonus....
CHEER UP !!!!!
Not feeling bad or anything. Just putting it out here as a cautionary tale

The main problem is that the CC seekers are focussing more on fringe benefits than on the CC itself.

Cashbacks, points, miles..... are becoming more important n deciding factors than the features of the CC itself.

Similar to focusing on 12-13% interests and risking losing 100% of FDR/TDR amounts.

Such misplaced priorities are bound to backfire. So, be careful n be extra cautious.

Last edited:
The main problem is that the CC seekers are focussing more on fringe benefits than on the CC itself.

Casbacks, points, miles..... are becoming more important n deciding factors than the features of the CC itself.

Similar to focusing on 12-13% interests and risking losing 100% of FDR/TDR amounts.

Such misplaced priorities are bound to backfire. So, be careful n be extra cautious.
There is a logical explanation to this, which is especially true for AmeX;
because in AmeX you make a lot more from referral commission than from actually using the card

Last edited:
Hi

I would like to share my experience about how I got scammed here in TF by @MAXXCARD.

I joined TF in November 2023 and have been frequenting here since then. I've learnt a lot and maximised my rewards after joining TF. I also got introduced to the world of American Express and got my first 2 cards in MRCC and Gold in January.

Ever since Amex increased the referral benefits to 12k MR points, I've been on the lookout to exchange my referral with someone, where I'll get a Platinum travel card in exchange for someone using my referral for their 2nd or 3rd card. I thought I was being smart, but have been proved wrong.

I thought I finally found the right person when I saw @MAXXCARD posting his referral link in various threads. Seeing that he's been on this forum since 2022, I wasn't very sceptical as I've largely had a very positive experience here in TF, more so with long term users.

I DM'ed @MAXXCARD about the offer and he seemed enthusiastic towards the exchange. We exchanged referral links and he was promptly replying for the 2-3 days we (I?) took to apply and complete vKYC.

But the day I mentioned that my card has been approved, he stopped responding to DMs even though he's visiting the site daily according to the last seen function.

I was disappointed, but held hope that he was just being busy. But as days went by, the feeling that I've got scammed got stronger and stronger.

I understand that I made myself vulnerable with the offer. I also remember a post by Amex legend @coolguy1 asking a different user about what will happen if one person's application was not approved during an exchange. I thought that an existing user had high chances of getting approved for a 2nd card. And to be honest, if his application wasn't approved, I wouldn't be this disappointed.

Because right now, I've no idea if he even applied as he's ghosted me since and ignored all my messages. Let my story be a warning to all users that such scammers do exist even here in TF. But just like everything else on TF, this has also taught me something and will be careful from here on.

And if you, @MAXXCARD finally reply to my message and I'm mistaken (even though it looks unlikely with you not responding to DMs), I'll take down this post. But if you have tried to scam me, i wish you'll grow a conscience and really apply for a card with my referral link or provide me with 4K Apay vocuher (equivalent to 12k MR points).

Sorry for the long post. Be careful everyone. Attaching screenshots of the DM and last seen as on 11.30 AM, July 7
Damn that sucks man! Same thing have happened before and the person actually contacted amex said amex can you cancel this application even though it was approved the card got delivered by then so he didn't activated the cc and told amex to withdraw the 8k. So you can do that too. I hope you haven't activated the 2nd cc of amex and you can do that instead. You won't be able for same amex cc until 6 month from approval.

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry about your situation, it feels really bad when something goes wrong in this place, it's a place that I love sharing tricks and spending time on.

There are mods and admins here to help you always but any inactive member with not too many posts/threads/deals done before should be traded with a pinch of salt. I mean it's the internet and you never know if the other guy has multiple accounts, doesn't care or might never login again due to any reason whatsoever.

Let's hope he responds back and gets you some sort of points/voucher in return!

If he doesn't, reach out to me, I'll share a quick guide that I have written down to make the most of the Amex Platinum Travel card.
It's exclusive to the people who use my referral link but I'll make an exception in this case and you can utilise your card to earn more reward points faster to cover up some of your loss! :)

So you wanted to apply for a card. You applied voluntarily using some referral that likely benefitted you by providing first year free or something similar. What's the problem? Maybe the other person changed his mind. Hardly a big crime. It's your own excessive greed where even in application of a card, you are looking to make some extra money in an underhand manner. I applied using someone's referral. It never occurred to me to ask for something in return from that person.

So you wanted to apply for a card. You applied voluntarily using some referral that likely benefitted you by providing first year free or something similar. What's the problem? Maybe the other person changed his mind. Hardly a big crime. It's your own excessive greed where even in application of a card, you are looking to make some extra money in an underhand manner.
I get your point. But I applied for the card primarily to get the referral points rather than the other way around as you implied. I didn't want the card and wanted something in return. I was okay with getting a card as long as i got the referral points.

But maybe that's thinking too much about fringe benefits as Ramesh Babu sir said.

I applied using someone's referral. It never occurred to me to ask for something in return from that person.
Even i got my previous amex card using referral, didn't ask for something in return. This was a discussed plan between two individuals to be mutually beneficial. I just chose the wrong person

I get your point. But I applied for the card primarily to get the referral points rather than the other way around as you implied. I didn't want the card and wanted something in return. I was okay with getting a card as long as i got the referral points.
See this is the problem with AmeX card holders.
They don't really want the card, don't really need the card, and don't even want to earn points by using the card.
And certainly don't want to pay for the card !

They just want those Rs 12000 referral points from as many people as possible.

But this is understandable, because this is the fastest way to grow and accumulate points.
And you need lacs of points for even a 1 week stay at Marriott (best partner, 1:1 transfer ratio)

Last edited:
If he doesn't, reach out to me, I'll share a quick guide that I have written down to make the most of the Amex Platinum Travel card.
It's exclusive to the people who use my referral link but I'll make an exception in this case and you can utilise your card to earn more reward points faster to cover up some of your loss! :)
That's very kind of you
There are mods and admins here to help you always but any inactive member with not too many posts/threads/deals done before should be traded with a pinch of salt. I mean it's the internet and you never know if the other guy has multiple accounts, doesn't care or might never login again due to any reason whatsoever.
I agree it's the internet, but it's not like he's not logging in. He's last visited the site at 11.55pm on July 7. He's deliberately not responding. It's my mistake that I didn't transact with someone more senior👍

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Brooooo get a life
Muje laga kuch bada hogya
4k ke liye vo bhi points itna rr
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Technically you can't call this scamm to
Technically it might not be a scam and this post is not a rant. Just sharing my experience so that others don't make the same mistake. I feel that's the point of this community - Sharing your experiences and someone might benefit from it.

Hey guys, i read in a few posts that you can apply for 2nd Amex the moment you get an approval email for your first. I got the approval email for my first AMEX card, the Gold Charge on Sunday and want to take the Amex MRCC. I still havent recieved any tracking or card info related details other than the approval email. Is it fine to apply for MRCC since i got the approval email?

If the answer is Yes, @Sriim , Please share your referal code and ill use it to apply . Ive learnt a lot from this community and id be happy to give something back for it!

Last edited:
Solution

Yes, you can apply. I have done it and got the second card without issues.

Hi

First of all - I genuinely feel bad for you. You did a simple business transaction and the other party didn't hold up their end of the bargain. This post is definitely a good way to name and shame the culprit so that others don't face the same problem.

Now coming to the more important part - I think personally, I'll never get this obsession with referral points and bonuses. You already had 2 cards, you were willing to take another one just to get the bonus without even thinking if you really need the card or not. But unfortunately, you are not the only one. Every single guy who writes an Amex post or review makes sure there referral link is seen.

All I can tell you is enjoy the card, reap its benefits and if possible try to be less focused on optimising every single spend/card in life; robs the joy of simple things.

First of all - I genuinely feel bad for you. You did a simple business transaction and the other party didn't hold up their end of the bargain. This post is definitely a good way to name and shame the culprit so that others don't face the same problem.

Now coming to the more important part - I think personally, I'll never get this obsession with referral points and bonuses. You already had 2 cards, you were willing to take another one just to get the bonus without even thinking if you really need the card or not. But unfortunately, you are not the only one. Every single guy who writes an Amex post or review makes sure there referral link is seen.

All I can tell you is enjoy the card, reap its benefits and if possible try to be less focused on optimising every single spend/card in life; robs the joy of simple things.
The last paragraph is really true 👍

Back