• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Any Rewarding Ways to Close Home Loan Outstanding Amount?

abhishek0882

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have a home loan from ICICI bank which currently has an o/s of about 13 lakhs. Due to some reasons, I am closing out this loan next month, in June. Wanted to know is there a best way to close out this loan? I mean something that will get me some value back in any form? I understand that paying the loan with credit cards is not possible, but is there any other way in which this can be done to earn something out of it?

Solution
I have a home loan from ICICI bank which currently has an o/s of about 13 lakhs. Due to some reasons, I am closing out this loan next month, in June. Wanted to know is there a best way to close out this loan? I mean something that will get me some value back in any form? I understand that paying the loan with credit cards is not possible, but is there any other way in which this can be done to earn something out of it?
My suggestion, don't think about closing home loan with the help of credit card usage.
For the sake of rewards points,one should not put himself in such risk. Home loan ammounts are high denomination. If you rotate money by credit cards, it might send alerts to your Credit card issuer, and Income tax dept also...
@jack333 Got the statement today, Axis displays the Merchant Category. It is displayed as "FIN. INST", so didn't get any rewards. :(

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 7.54.47 PM.png

However, if you use a card which doesn't have any restrictions for Financial Institution category (I don't think there is a card like this), then you can earn rewards/cashback. Well, it should count towards the yearly spending threshold and can get 1% cashback using the HDFC Platinum Debit card when paying off the due. 😅

@jack333 Got the statement today, Axis displays the Merchant Category. It is displayed as "FIN. INST", so didn't get any rewards. :(

View attachment 19998

However, if you use a card which doesn't have any restrictions for Financial Institution category (I don't think there is a card like this), then you can earn rewards/cashback. Well, it should count towards the yearly spending threshold and can get 1% cashback using the HDFC Platinum Debit card when paying off the due. 😅
Can you ask the mcc code from Customer care?

Back