• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus : Optimal Usage Guide and Valuation

Axis Magnus is undoubtedly the hot cake in the credit card community now. Everyone is jumping for it just because they just don't want to miss out. There are people who also are thinking if it's the right card for them or not as their spending is not at the higher end. This article is going to be useful for them as well as who're already holding this card but haven't made a proper spending calculations and value calculations.

IMG_4249.JPG

First Let's talk about what are the features that make Magnus the best card out there in overall manner.

Sweet Spots:

1. Flat 4.8% reward rate
2. 25K bonus Edge RP on monthly ₹1L milestone, boost return to 24.8%
3. 5x RP on Travel Edge, Gift Edge with no cap on bonus RP
4. Markup is 2% + GST. Only useful if hitting ₹1L spending milestone in a calendar month.

Now the 3 Categories of People are:

1. Category 1:
₹12L to 15L of spending per annum

2. Category 2: ₹7L to ₹11L of spending per annum

3. Category 3: ₹4L to ₹6L of spending per annum

For all the 3 Categories you can identify yourself to which you do belong & thus you know where you do spend. Thus not going category wise spending.

Rather what I’m elaborating is where you can earn more and how much is the valueback even if you pay both the joining & annual fee

💸 Category 1:

With ₹12L-15L of spending you’re paying joining fee as well as annual fee unless you’re hitting ₹15L annual spends.

Assuming that you’re hitting 1L milestone for at least 10 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 10 = 2.5L RP

For 12L Spends: 6K * 12 = 72K RP

For ₹15L Spends: 6K * 15 = 90K RP

Total RP Gain:

For ₹15L = 2.5L + 90K = 3,60,000 Edge RP

For ₹12L = 2.5L + 72K = 3,22,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹15L = 2,88,000

For ₹12L = 2,57,600

That’s 2x BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN round trip in F class for you in both the cases

Fee Vs Value:

For 15L
of annual spends you’re getting fee waiver. You’re paying only ₹11,800 as joining fee

For 12L
of annual spends you’re paying both joining and annual fee. You’re paying ₹23,600

In both cases you’re getting ₹10K Tata Cliq voucher + ₹6L worth Flight Fare

💸 Category 2:

For ₹7L-₹11L of spending you’re paying both the joining and annual fee.

Assuming that you’re hitting ₹1L milestone at least for 5 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 5 = 1.25L RP

For ₹7L Spends: 6K * 7 = 42K RP

For ₹11L Spends: 6K * 11 = 66K RP

Total RP Gain:

For ₹11L = 1.25L + 66K = 1,91,000 Edge RP

For ₹7L = 1.25L + 42K = 1,67,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹11L = 1,52,800

For ₹7L = 1,33,600

That’s BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN roundtrip 1) 1x in Business Class & 1x in Economy Class
Or 2) 1x in F Class

Fee Vs Value:

For both cases you’re paying joining + annual fee, which is ₹23,600 in total.

You’re getting 10K Tata Cliq Vouchers in both cases of joining and renewal. ₹1.85L (Business + Economy) or ₹3L worth of Flight Ticket.

💸 Category 3:

For ₹4L-₹6L of spending you’re paying both the joining and annual fee.

Assuming that you’re hitting ₹1L milestone at least for 3 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 3 = 75K

For ₹4L Spends: 6K * 4 = 24K

For ₹6L Spends: 6K * 6 = 36K

Total RP Gain:

For ₹6L = 75K + 36K = 1,10,000 Edge RP

For ₹4L = 75K + 24K = 99,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹6L = 88,000

For ₹4L = 79,200

That’s BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN round trip 1) 1x in Business Class. 2) 2x in Economy Class

⚠️For ₹4L spends you’re short of 6K Miles

Fee Vs Value:

For both cases you’re paying joining + annual fee, which is ₹23,600 in total.

You’re getting 10K Tata Cliq Vouchers in both cases of joining and renewal. ₹1.2L (Business) or ₹1.3L (2x Economy) worth of Flight Ticket

Above all are the “Flat Value” calculations and ofcourse, real life usage will differ from one individual to another, but that’s what you get at those spending brackets.

That’s not the all, with Magnus you’ve access to quite a decent amount of accelerated RPs, monthly.

Accelerated RP Earning:

Gift Edge:

1. 3x RP on amazon voucher, with a monthly capping of ₹10K worth of vouchers
2. 5x RP on Croma, Tata Cliq, Flipkart, Kalyan Jewellery, PCJ, Reliance Digital, Blinkit etc
3. 10x RP on Myntra, Shopper’s Stop, Pantaloons, Yatra, MMT, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino’s etc

Travel Edge:

You get 5x RP if you book flight and hotels via Travel Edge

Grab Deals:

Often you can see cashback or accelerated RP through it, but comes with capping

As you can see most of you basic needs will be covered with the vouchers

This is an overall usage guide, it’s not meant to be 100% suitable for an individual as everyone has different kind of spendings.

The best you can do is to firstly write down your spending categories, check if you can buy the GVs to spend in those then optimise it accordingly ✌🏻

No, you can actually buy more than 10K per month of Amazon Pay vouchers using Magnus from Gyftr
Last month I bought 50K, this month 32.6K Amazon Pay vouchers
You just have to remember to keep the transaction value at 10K for each transaction. You can do this until you hit 50K for the month, then you can't buy any more Amazon Pay vouchers in that month

Also, as helloworld has pointed out what I said is with reference to Gyftr (Axis version). Amazon has its own rules regarding the number of vouchers you can combine and the transactions for which they are applicable.
In the past, I have paid a 1L insurance premium on Amazon with at least 40K worth of vouchers and the remainder via credit card. I could have added more vouchers but there was no point trying to buy new vouchers with the Amazon Pay card as the reward rate was 2% which was the same for a direct payment via the Amazon Pay CC. The 40K worth of vouchers were those I had collected with the additional offers on Amazon, so the reward rate was more than 2%
Coming to your point of a 60K utility bill, you need to take care. If it is an insurance payment you should not have any problem. I haven't tried it with 60K worth of vouchers, though, so I'm not 100% certain. If it is for electricity, then there are some restrictions about the total value of the bill that can be paid through Amazon Pay
I thought a 10k limit was applicable on amazon pay, while 50k was applicable for amazon pay. If we are able to buy 50k of amazon pay in 10k x 5 mode, can you please confirm that we still get the 3x after the first 10k transaction. I remember reading a post earlier where some doubts were expressed on the applicability of the reward multiplier beyond the first 10k voucher. In case the x3 is not applicable, I feel it is still worth it for the 4.8% return in airmiles. Think so?

Has anyone tried mygate society bill after 5th March change and confirm it doesn't count as rent/has extra charges from axis?
Thank you
I've paid through card but not mygate. Apnacomplex. I got the points and it was counted for the milestone benefits.

Thanks for the quick revert. I’m planning to book the tickets in a day or so. Will use Magnus. Then the hotels. Will be like 3L+ spend. With a good 5x ER credit it will be a nice amount. There is no cap, right? And takes around 30 days I remember reading somewhere. This is from the date of transaction or the statement?
It used to take 4-5 days last few months. But last 1 month or so many have reported delays upto 20-30 days. In fact no reward points credited post 3rd March or so. Let alone bonus points even the regular points are not getting credited.

I thought a 10k limit was applicable on amazon pay, while 50k was applicable for amazon pay. If we are able to buy 50k of amazon pay in 10k x 5 mode, can you please confirm that we still get the 3x after the first 10k transaction. I remember reading a post earlier where some doubts were expressed on the applicability of the reward multiplier beyond the first 10k voucher. In case the x3 is not applicable, I feel it is still worth it for the 4.8% return in airmiles. Think so?
I bought more than 10K in Feb '23. Earlier, I hadn't bought more than 10K/month. So I can confirm only in May about the remaining 2x. You certainly get the 1x for the part above 10K after 5-10 days, so even that is worth it. The additional 2x is the icing on the cake. That's my opinion. I can however confirm that other people have received the additional 2x and have posted about it on the forum. I read their posts before proceeding

I bought more than 10K in Feb '23. Earlier, I hadn't bought more than 10K/month. So I can confirm only in May about the remaining 2x. You certainly get the 1x for the part above 10K after 5-10 days, so even that is worth it. The additional 2x is the icing on the cake. That's my opinion. I can however confirm that other people have received the additional 2x and have posted about it on the forum. I read their posts before proceeding
That's reassuring. Let me try that as well. Like you said, worth it even with 4.8% reward rate via airmiles. Amazon Pay is very useful and quasi cash, though I worry how long it will last. I think hdfc smartbuy has a hard limit of 10k for infinia. Am I right?

That's reassuring. Let me try that as well. Like you said, worth it even with 4.8% reward rate via airmiles. Amazon Pay is very useful and quasi cash, though I worry how long it will last. I think hdfc smartbuy has a hard limit of 10k for infinia. Am I right?
Yes

Have you got points for transaction done after 5th march?
This is pre-Mar 5th. But I don't think anything has changed for the affluent cards except rent/wallet load. Should be available now as well. But obviously we can be sure only after we record one transaction. If you're worried about the Mar 5th effect, one way to check will be to do a small transaction with an electricity bill. Because the maintenance payments were falling under the 'utilities' mcc. This could give you a clue before you make a larger maintenance payment.

I've read that @Harry1 had received for the same

Is anyone aware or has a written confirmation or something about emi being part of monthly milestone?
Heard so many things thats is confusing now.
Some say its included, some say its not, some say, its only included for initial month and not for rest and so on...

Hi, is transaction on NPS from Magnus eligible for Reward Points? If not, is it eligible for Reward Points on Diners Black?

Anybody used magnus on govt websites like balmer Lawrie ? How much reward points one is getting

Guys...i paid rent via magnus on 1st March (before the rule change on 5th Mar). Will that be counted for monthly milestone for March? I hope it does.

I have plan to apply magnus. But can i book anyone flight ticket without transfer Air miles ? Like in HDFC smart buy using reward points.

Back