• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus : Optimal Usage Guide and Valuation

Axis Magnus is undoubtedly the hot cake in the credit card community now. Everyone is jumping for it just because they just don't want to miss out. There are people who also are thinking if it's the right card for them or not as their spending is not at the higher end. This article is going to be useful for them as well as who're already holding this card but haven't made a proper spending calculations and value calculations.

IMG_4249.JPG

First Let's talk about what are the features that make Magnus the best card out there in overall manner.

Sweet Spots:

1. Flat 4.8% reward rate
2. 25K bonus Edge RP on monthly ₹1L milestone, boost return to 24.8%
3. 5x RP on Travel Edge, Gift Edge with no cap on bonus RP
4. Markup is 2% + GST. Only useful if hitting ₹1L spending milestone in a calendar month.

Now the 3 Categories of People are:

1. Category 1:
₹12L to 15L of spending per annum

2. Category 2: ₹7L to ₹11L of spending per annum

3. Category 3: ₹4L to ₹6L of spending per annum

For all the 3 Categories you can identify yourself to which you do belong & thus you know where you do spend. Thus not going category wise spending.

Rather what I’m elaborating is where you can earn more and how much is the valueback even if you pay both the joining & annual fee

💸 Category 1:

With ₹12L-15L of spending you’re paying joining fee as well as annual fee unless you’re hitting ₹15L annual spends.

Assuming that you’re hitting 1L milestone for at least 10 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 10 = 2.5L RP

For 12L Spends: 6K * 12 = 72K RP

For ₹15L Spends: 6K * 15 = 90K RP

Total RP Gain:

For ₹15L = 2.5L + 90K = 3,60,000 Edge RP

For ₹12L = 2.5L + 72K = 3,22,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹15L = 2,88,000

For ₹12L = 2,57,600

That’s 2x BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN round trip in F class for you in both the cases

Fee Vs Value:

For 15L
of annual spends you’re getting fee waiver. You’re paying only ₹11,800 as joining fee

For 12L
of annual spends you’re paying both joining and annual fee. You’re paying ₹23,600

In both cases you’re getting ₹10K Tata Cliq voucher + ₹6L worth Flight Fare

💸 Category 2:

For ₹7L-₹11L of spending you’re paying both the joining and annual fee.

Assuming that you’re hitting ₹1L milestone at least for 5 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 5 = 1.25L RP

For ₹7L Spends: 6K * 7 = 42K RP

For ₹11L Spends: 6K * 11 = 66K RP

Total RP Gain:

For ₹11L = 1.25L + 66K = 1,91,000 Edge RP

For ₹7L = 1.25L + 42K = 1,67,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹11L = 1,52,800

For ₹7L = 1,33,600

That’s BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN roundtrip 1) 1x in Business Class & 1x in Economy Class
Or 2) 1x in F Class

Fee Vs Value:

For both cases you’re paying joining + annual fee, which is ₹23,600 in total.

You’re getting 10K Tata Cliq Vouchers in both cases of joining and renewal. ₹1.85L (Business + Economy) or ₹3L worth of Flight Ticket.

💸 Category 3:

For ₹4L-₹6L of spending you’re paying both the joining and annual fee.

Assuming that you’re hitting ₹1L milestone at least for 3 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 3 = 75K

For ₹4L Spends: 6K * 4 = 24K

For ₹6L Spends: 6K * 6 = 36K

Total RP Gain:

For ₹6L = 75K + 36K = 1,10,000 Edge RP

For ₹4L = 75K + 24K = 99,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹6L = 88,000

For ₹4L = 79,200

That’s BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN round trip 1) 1x in Business Class. 2) 2x in Economy Class

⚠️For ₹4L spends you’re short of 6K Miles

Fee Vs Value:

For both cases you’re paying joining + annual fee, which is ₹23,600 in total.

You’re getting 10K Tata Cliq Vouchers in both cases of joining and renewal. ₹1.2L (Business) or ₹1.3L (2x Economy) worth of Flight Ticket

Above all are the “Flat Value” calculations and ofcourse, real life usage will differ from one individual to another, but that’s what you get at those spending brackets.

That’s not the all, with Magnus you’ve access to quite a decent amount of accelerated RPs, monthly.

Accelerated RP Earning:

Gift Edge:

1. 3x RP on amazon voucher, with a monthly capping of ₹10K worth of vouchers
2. 5x RP on Croma, Tata Cliq, Flipkart, Kalyan Jewellery, PCJ, Reliance Digital, Blinkit etc
3. 10x RP on Myntra, Shopper’s Stop, Pantaloons, Yatra, MMT, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino’s etc

Travel Edge:

You get 5x RP if you book flight and hotels via Travel Edge

Grab Deals:

Often you can see cashback or accelerated RP through it, but comes with capping

As you can see most of you basic needs will be covered with the vouchers

This is an overall usage guide, it’s not meant to be 100% suitable for an individual as everyone has different kind of spendings.

The best you can do is to firstly write down your spending categories, check if you can buy the GVs to spend in those then optimise it accordingly ✌🏻

hi all,
I recently recd my Magnus card. Now wondering if I should use it for my expenses on a short overseas trip next month. Estimated expense will be 60-80K and will surely help hit the 1L milestone for July.

I also have RBL world safari that I originally planned on using (given the 0% markup feature). I know Magnus will have 2% markup.
If you'll hit the 1L mark in the month, then it is better to use Magnus even with the markup. The net returns will be higher

I have few credit card mandates on my Flipkart Axis CC - spotify monthly, health insurance monthly, yearly smallcase subscription fee.. etc..

If I shift them to Magnus - will these expenses be considered under 1L milestone per month?

I have few credit card mandates on my Flipkart Axis CC - spotify monthly, health insurance monthly, yearly smallcase subscription fee.. etc..

If I shift them to Magnus - will these expenses be considered under 1L milestone per month?
Yes, these will be considered for monthly milestone of 1L

hi all,
I recently recd my Magnus card. Now wondering if I should use it for my expenses on a short overseas trip next month. Estimated expense will be 60-80K and will surely help hit the 1L milestone for July.

I also have RBL world safari that I originally planned on using (given the 0% markup feature). I know Magnus will have 2% markup.
No Brainer ... MAGNUS

Magnus: Rewards – Markup Fee = 4.8% – 2.4% = ~2.4%
+ Milestone ....

Can anyone help me on how to add money to phonepe wallet which comes under milestone of 1L
Not sure about PhonePe wallet but you can add to Paytm via Uber. Book any cab with uber and select Paytm as payment method, make sure you don't have enough money in Paytm. Once the cab search starts, it'll ask you to add money in Paytm wallet, select credit card and add upto 4K.
I've done it for last 2 months and the transaction came under travel category both times so it'll come under milestone calculation.

Not sure about PhonePe wallet but you can add to Paytm via Uber. Book any cab with uber and select Paytm as payment method, make sure you don't have enough money in Paytm. Once the cab search starts, it'll ask you to add money in Paytm wallet, select credit card and add upto 4K.
I've done it for last 2 months and the transaction came under travel category both times so it'll come under milestone calculation.
Rather I would suggest using Amazon Pay vouchers and paying via amazon pay. I am getting 5% Cashback in Uber wallet while paying through amazon pay. Much better way - 5% + 10k from card towards milestones + 3x points for the 10k

Rather I would suggest using Amazon Pay vouchers and paying via amazon pay. I am getting 5% Cashback in Uber wallet while paying through amazon pay. Much better way - 5% + 10k from card towards milestones + 3x points for the 10k
Apay is definitely the best way to pay for uber. What I mentioned in my comment is a way to rotate 4k from card directly to account via Uber and Paytm combination.

Can we use MakeMyTrip Holiday coupons for flight booking? is that allowed?
Nope. If you use Magnus your options for flights are - Axis Travel Edge (5x), Yatra (10x) - but only 3 coupons can be used per transaction. So depends on the coupon value. Larger valued coupons are available every now and then. Hoard and keep for future use.

Nope. If you use Magnus your options for flights are - Axis Travel Edge (5x), Yatra (10x) - but only 3 coupons can be used per transaction. So depends on the coupon value. Larger valued coupons are available every now and then. Hoard and keep for future use.
I find Yatra coupons are tricky to use. I've tried 3 to 4 times to pay the amount through coupons, one time I made entire payment through coupons and it failed, 2nd time I left around Rs.100-200 for other method and it still failed, 3rd time I left around Rs.400-500 for other methods and somehow the payment still failed, for the 4th time I left enough to cover the convenience fee and it passed.
If someone else can confirm how much money we should leave to pay by other means so that the transaction doesn't fail?

I find Yatra coupons are tricky to use. I've tried 3 to 4 times to pay the amount through coupons, one time I made entire payment through coupons and it failed, 2nd time I left around Rs.100-200 for other method and it still failed, 3rd time I left around Rs.400-500 for other methods and somehow the payment still failed, for the 4th time I left enough to cover the convenience fee and it passed.
If someone else can confirm how much money we should leave to pay by other means so that the transaction doesn't fail?
Have you used the same denomination of gvs for a single booking? I have done using 3 gvs and 80rs from other source.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-161533.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620-161533.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 32
Have you used the same denomination of gvs for a single booking? I have done using 3 gvs and 80rs from other source.
This is something that finally worked for me, I had coupons of 2500+2500+500.
I made a transaction before this where I used 2500+2500 coupon and paid the rest through UPI(around 200) but that failed as well, I tried again but with credit card that failed too.
One more thing, are you making the transactions through app or website? When I asked the customer care they said to use web when paying with gift vouchers but I didn't get a chance to verify it, can anyone confirm on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_235034.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_235034.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 20
I made a transaction before this where I used 2500+2500 coupon and paid the rest through UPI(around 200) but that failed as well, I tried again but with credit card that failed too.
One more thing, are you making the transactions through app or website? When I asked the customer care they said to use web when paying with gift vouchers but I didn't get a chance to verify it, can anyone confirm on this?
Wow, u were able to apply different denomination also.

I have tried both app and website and it has worked on both occasions for me. The screenshot which you have posted has two different denominations which will definitely not work. However I am not sure why 2500*2 GVs is also not working for you.

I have tried both app and website and it has worked on both occasions for me. The screenshot which you have posted has two different denominations which will definitely not work. However I am not sure why 2500*2 GVs is also not working for you.
Lol, if it's not supposed to work then definitely I got lucky in that case. To be on the safe side I'll try to book with same denomination from now on. Everytime transaction fails Yatra takes 10-12 days to revert the vouchers, it is such a hassle.
Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Back