• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Reserve vs Amex Plat Charge

This is from a personal perspective.
It totally depends on your use. Amex plat is more of a lifestyle card. Unless you use them for your benefits, the annual fee is not justifiable. But as long as you can use the benefits, the annual fee is worth it.

For Reserve, you can actually make use of the annual fee by having enough spends on the card. The annual fee is more justifiable by just the spends on the card.

The added advantage of the Plat card is that you can get annual fee waiver on other Amex cards (I have seen this mentioned at multiple threads, but since I don’t want additional Amex cards, I have not ventured in that area).

I follow a very simple rule. As long as benefits I can get out of the card > annual fees, I keep the card. For me I have enough use cases of having both. So if you are in a same situation as me, why not both? Else go for the one that suits you.

Last edited:
Points - Axis
Forex Spends - Axis
Lifestyle - Amex
Annual fees - Axis is waived if 25 lacs spend in Amex you get enough offers to recover the annual fees
Airport benefits - Axis has lot more benefits overall, Amex is great if you frequent Mumbai/Delhi then you can use the Amex airport lounge
Hotel stays - Amex plus you get higher tier in Bonvoy and Hilton Honours

I personally find both very useful in different ways. Hence I have both.

At what spend levels a year would you suggest having both? I currently have amex plat and infinia. Was looking at magnus/reserve but Ideally would like to add a premium MC world elite to have all 3 types.

Points - Axis
Forex Spends - Axis
Lifestyle - Amex
Annual fees - Axis is waived if 25 lacs spend in Amex you get enough offers to recover the annual fees
Airport benefits - Axis has lot more benefits overall, Amex is great if you frequent Mumbai/Delhi then you can use the Amex airport lounge

What are the cases you use amex card in terms of spending

Points - Axis
Forex Spends - Axis
Lifestyle - Amex

@Theo can you suggest the same between Axis Reserve and Infinia? What card is a better option for different category spends?

If you do not use specific deals that the Platcharge offers - such as Taj / Oberoi hotel discounts, Fine Hotels benefits, discounted fares with certain airlines (business/first) and do not intend to use the conceirge much then Reserve is a no brainer. Otherwise Platcharge is amazing especially with a sign on 120k MR points.

Purely from a reward earning on spends perspective, Reserve will deliver more Bonvoy equivalent points per US$ spent (12pts per 100Rs in FX vs 7.5pts in Plat Charge). That is a significant difference in earn rates

Well I do use Amex too, but I have realized that Amex always gives crazy rates for Business / First class and the hotels as well are quite expensive. The peripherals of Platcharge is great, connections with hotels, airlines etc and i enjoy those perks with them.

Well I do use Amex too, but I have realized that Amex always gives crazy rates for Business / First class and the hotels as well are quite expensive. The peripherals of Platcharge is great, connections with hotels, airlines etc and i enjoy those perks with them.
they have decent deals with some specific airlines only (etihad, emirates, singapore etc). I have seen a 8-10% difference generally with the best rates available elsewhere.

Back