• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Select Card Application Experience

rogerthat

TF Ace
I am not taken into the hype surrounding Magnus. I do not travel at all (once every two years or so) and both my regular airlines do not have any transfer options for Magnus. Even if they did I don't spend more than 50k a month using on credit cards. But since I have a number high value PoS retail transactions coming up soon over the next few months so I need a card that give me maximum value. I could find only three cards for this: SC Ultimate (3.33%), Axis Ace (2%), Axis Select (2%). There's AMEX too but not many stores in my town accept them.

Standard Chartered first approved my application and then rejected it, twice. I went all the way to the Ombudsman but they too threw my complaint in the dust bin. I can't find a way to get Axis Ace, so Select it is.

Axis Select Application process
  • 14 March '23 Tuesday: Applied online through Axis "Flash" application process. It was easy enough though the Flash app itself is a mess. CIBIL was hit and application number generated instantly after final submission. Got link for VKYC as SMS. Nothing on email.
  • 15 March '23 Wednesday: The VKYC was a massive pain. Horrible web app full of bugs and glitches that kept crashing and malfunctioning. Tried six times over half a day before I could finally connect to an agent. Every time the queue would take half an hour. The agent looked irritated and was downright rude ("First of all, can't you stand in one place without moving around??!" - I was trying to get a good light reflection). The VKYC itself took only a few minutes. Didn't get any confirmation or anything after the process.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing after that. No message, no call, no visit, nothing. The useless tracking website shows "details not found".

These guys (Axis) are pathetic. I wonder how they are going to service Citi customers (I am one).

Last edited:
How does axis identify as retail transaction for 2X points? I couldn't find any terms and conditions or list of MCC.

@rogerthat why did you not choose axis privilege over axis select? It's FYF now and its multi brand voucher redemption is good option.
The reason for Select over Privilege is that as I mentioned before, there are few cards that give good benefits for high-value PoS transactions. Even I am not sure what constitutes "Retail", but I am guessing most shops will come under it.

Yes the multi brand vouchers are a good option but I am more interested in Amazon Pay. Select gives 2% return but Privilege gives only 1% if you plan to take Amazon Pay.

In addition I needed some international lounge access too (but not Magnus level of access). SCB Ease My Trip would've been then cheapest lounge card but it looks like SCB has blacklisted me or something.

The reason for Select over Privilege is that as I mentioned before, there are few cards that give good benefits for high-value PoS transactions. Even I am not sure what constitutes "Retail", but I am guessing most shops will come under it.

Yes the multi brand vouchers are a good option but I am more interested in Amazon Pay. Select gives 2% return but Privilege gives only 1% if you plan to take Amazon Pay.

In addition I needed some international lounge access too (but not Magnus level of access). SCB Ease My Trip would've been then cheapest lounge card but it looks like SCB has blacklisted me or something.
Did u made the comparison of axis new card with select
It gives rewarded for every 125/- spends

My saga of trying to apply for an Axis Select card continues.....

Thursday: So when the wait was getting too long I complained to the Axis Twitter account on Thursday. They immediately replied that they will look into it and asked me share my application details via DM.
Friday: Twitter Axis informed that my area is not serviceable and they won't be able to issue me any Axis card at all. I tell them that there is an Axis branch within my Pincode and like 5 km from my house.
Saturday: A lady from Axis bank district HQ calls me and asks me if I had applied for a card. I tell her yes and she asks for my address. Tells an executive will visit me the next day to verify my application.
Sunday: The executive visits my place and takes a new application. Verifies biometrics-Aadhar and PAN card.

The wait continues....
The plot thickens!

Tuesday:
I receive an SMS with a new application number. I also get a message on Whatsapp with details for VKYC. I click on the link and enter the application number but then I get a popup saying I am not eligible for VKYC and wait for the bank to contact me.
At the same time I also get a response on Twitter that my Pincode is not serviceable at all and I need to apply at a branch.
I also get a plain email from axis_system@axisbank.com saying: "Thank you for applying for Axis Bank Credit Card, the final decision will be communicated within 72 hours".
My CIBIL is hit again with an enquiry from Axis Bank.
Wednesday:
I get a call from an address verification department (local number) at Axis Bank asking why I am not at the address. I tell them I am in office and will not be at home during the day time. They say OK and hang up.
My "old" application details disappear from the tracker. The "new" application details are "not found" yet.
Thursday:
I get a SMS from Axis Bank that I will get a call for address verification from a Gurgaon number and I should attend the call. I was confused since they had contacted me yesterday.
The call comes through and surprise it is an IVR! They ask me to press 1, 2, 3 etc to verify my (pre-recorded) home and office address Pincodes and to confirm preferred card delivery address. At the end the system tells me I will be informed of the "final decision" shortly.

Waiting for the next set of surprises.

Last edited:
Surprise!

Yesterday morning I get an SMS asking me to set pin and enable transactions on my new Axis Bank card. When I was wondering what this is, I get a call from a DELHIVERY executive. Three hours later I have my Select card in hand. Visa Signature platform with 3.96L CL.

BTW I had given the office address as the preferred delivery location but the card got delivered at home.

It took exactly one month from application to the delivery of the card. In between they took my application twice, both online and offline.

HELP

I know I had started this thread stating "I am not taken by the Magnus hype" as I didn't have a use case for taking the card back then, but now I do it looks like I do have one (yes, travel).

So, what would be the easiest way to get a Magnus card? Should I ask them for an upgrade or should I apply for a fresh card? If I am going to ask for an upgrade, should I use the card before I do so? I fulfill all the eligibility criteria for the card.

How does axis identify as retail transaction for 2X points? I couldn't find any terms and conditions or list of MCC.

@rogerthat why did you not choose axis privilege over axis select? It's FYF now and its multi brand voucher redemption is good option.
So finally axis select product details has been updated and mystery around retail shopping is solved.

Spends done on Insurance, rent, fuel, educational services, utilities and government MCC(merchant category codes) will not be eligible for earning EDGE REWARDS points.

Retail Shopping will include spends across these MCCs:
  • 5311-Dept Stores
  • 5411-Grocery stores
  • 5611-Clothing and Accessory stores
  • 5621-Women’s wear stores
  • 5641-Children’s wear stores
  • 5691-Family clothing stores
  • 5699-Misc apparel and accessory stores

So finally axis select product details has been updated and mystery around retail shopping is solved.

Spends done on Insurance, rent, fuel, educational services, utilities and government MCC(merchant category codes) will not be eligible for earning EDGE REWARDS points.

Retail Shopping will include spends across these MCCs:
  • 5311-Dept Stores
  • 5411-Grocery stores
  • 5611-Clothing and Accessory stores
  • 5621-Women’s wear stores
  • 5641-Children’s wear stores
  • 5691-Family clothing stores
  • 5699-Misc apparel and accessory stores
Thank you for this! Disappointing that it includes only grocery and apparel. I expected more categories like electronics, hardware, stationery, etc.

Anyway going to try and upgrade this to Magnus.

I got this card and discontinued it... as its 2% offline is not consistant.. they say its only on retail shopping, but there is no where defined as to what is retail shopping? I made several purchases at different stores in local market, i got only usual points not 2x points, when escalated, they says your shopping was on thok store not the retail.... sasura samajh hi nahi aya ke ye retail shop kon sa hoga phir? Even local shoe store, local bartan store, medical store, sweet shop, standard showroom like Bata, Nike were not treated as retail one.... got rid of this card before 3, was about to hit for another year.

I got this card and discontinued it... as its 2% offline is not consistant.. they say its only on retail shopping, but there is no where defined as to what is retail shopping? I made several purchases at different stores in local market, i got only usual points not 2x points, when escalated, they says your shopping was on thok store not the retail.... sasura samajh hi nahi aya ke ye retail shop kon sa hoga phir? Even local shoe store, local bartan store, medical store, sweet shop, standard showroom like Bata, Nike were not treated as retail one.... got rid of this card before 3, was about to hit for another year.
Thing is that only shops with MCC codes 5311 and 5411 which are mainly supermarkets, big grocery stores and some department stores are covered under the 2x scheme. Also, apparel stores with the codes as given previously. Bata/Nike will be 5661, Medical will be 5047, etc.

A lot many people believe that the Select card is a useless card, but in my opinion it is anything but. In fact, when it is combined with Magnus, it turns into one of the most powerful rewards cards in the Axis lineup!

The card gives 20/200 points on supermarket and dept store transactions which is the highest direct percentage on Axis except for Atlas and Reserve. The kicker is that if you hold any HNI card (Magnus/Reserve/Atlas/Burgundy) your ER points are pooled as a single account. So, this card in a sense is like Magnus giving 2x points on Supermarkets and apparel stores but without contributing to the milestones!

On months that you are sure you will not hit the milestones or after crossing 1L in spends you can use this to buy groceries and earn 20/200 instead of 12/200. A typical metro family spends like around 20-30k a month on groceries. Shopping at a supermarket with 5311/5411 as MCC code can earn you 2000-3000 points instead of 1200-1800 with Magnus for those months. If you optimise your Magnus spends for high value transactions you can plan and use Select for all your supermarket spends without hurting milestone targets.

So much so that I am planning to apply for add-on Select cards for the wife and mom so they can use them for shopping too.

Swiggy and BB offers are just icing on the cake. It would've been perfect if the card gave international lounge access to add-on cards too.

A lot many people believe that the Select card is a useless card, but in my opinion it is anything but. In fact, when it is combined with Magnus, it turns into one of the most powerful rewards cards in the Axis lineup!

The card gives 20/200 points on supermarket and dept store transactions which is the highest direct percentage on Axis except for Atlas and Reserve. The kicker is that if you hold any HNI card (Magnus/Reserve/Atlas/Burgundy) your ER points are pooled as a single account. So, this card in a sense is like Magnus giving 2x points on Supermarkets and apparel stores but without contributing to the milestones!

On months that you are sure you will not hit the milestones or after crossing 1L in spends you can use this to buy groceries and earn 20/200 instead of 12/200. A typical metro family spends like around 20-30k a month on groceries. Shopping at a supermarket with 5311/5411 as MCC code can earn you 2000-3000 points instead of 1200-1800 with Magnus for those months. If you optimise your Magnus spends for high value transactions you can plan and use Select for all your supermarket spends without hurting milestone targets.

So much so that I am planning to apply for add-on Select cards for the wife and mom so they can use them for shopping too.

Swiggy and BB offers are just icing on the cake. It would've been perfect if the card gave international lounge access to add-on cards too.
If the supermarket's GV is available on gyftr then magnus will lead instead of select.

Reliance smart has 5411 MCC. Using select you get 2x. Gyftr has GV of reliance smart at 5x.

If the supermarket's GV is available on gyftr then magnus will lead instead of select.

Reliance smart has 5411 MCC. Using select you get 2x. Gyftr has GV of reliance smart at 5x.
Right, but if, and it depends. My nearest Reliance Smart is 10 km away and has no parking. I have atleast 5 supermarkets/dept stores within 5 km of my place. Also, mom calls in groceries from the nearest guys who come to deliver with their PoS machine.

As I discussed with axis Bank branch, one can get select LTF , if Burgundy account is being opened with 5 L. You can close account after 6 months but not getting clear view on what will happen to select? Branch is starting that card will be LTF .
Any views

As I discussed with axis Bank branch, one can get select LTF , if Burgundy account is being opened with 5 L. You can close account after 6 months but not getting clear view on what will happen to select? Branch is starting that card will be LTF .
Any views
Any card that starts off as LTF will stay LTF. Otherwise it will be considered misselling.

Any views
Select is a conditional LTF for Burgundy. So, verify via mail from the branch that it is indeed a true LTF, not a conditional LTF.

Back