• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bandhan Bank - NPCI and RBI guidelines violation

I had opened a savings account in Bandhan Bank (Rs 5000 AMB). I had opened it just to keep extra money there and to link it to my stockbroker. I opened it only after seeing on the NPCI website that it supports Aadhaar-OTP UPI registration. However, I was unable to register using the said method. It displayed an error that my Aadhaar number was not linked to my savings account. I am not willing to request a debit card as it will be of no use.

I complained the same to their Level 1 customer care.
They informed me that Aadhaar-OTP UPI registration is not available in Bandhan Bank.

I complained the same to their Principal Nodal Officer (PNO)
I mentioned that the facility is available as per the NPCI website. I also mentioned the RBI Master Directions, para 14 (d) of which states, "Banks shall not force a customer to avail debit card facility and shall not link issuance of debit card to availment of any other facility from the bank."
However, I did not receive any reply.

Finally, I escalated the matter to the RBI Ombudsman.
The PNO responded stating that the facility will be available from 31.08.2024 (tentatively).

The RBI Ombudsman has sought comments from me before closing the complaint. This is the first time something like this has happened to me though.

Update (05-Sep-2024)

Attachments

• Bandhan Aadhaar UPI registration 1.jpg
    Bandhan Aadhaar UPI registration 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Bandhan RBI-PNO reply_page-0001.jpg
    Bandhan RBI-PNO reply_page-0001.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 49
  • RBI comments_page-0001.jpg
    RBI comments_page-0001.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 50
  • RBI Ombudsman complaint Bandhan Bank_page-0001.jpg
    RBI Ombudsman complaint Bandhan Bank_page-0001.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
This clearly sounds like false advertisement and denial of service. Please pursue & sue the Bandhan Bank via ombudsman.
I will suggest to close your savings account and avoid such questionable service.
You can take new account with another bank with good service.

Bandhan Bank is a ma******* type of a bank .
This bank always have kyc issues .
You will find many tweets regarding this .
Better switch to other bank , otherwise you will face many problems in the near future.
This bank was a micro finance bank and got a license 1 year back from RBI .
Their employees are illiterate and will not help like other private bank does , no matter you keep thousands of lakhs in your bank account.

open bank account in sbi zero bal account with virtual debit card option yono app can be used as atm to withdraw cash yono cash also it is very convenient

by using vc you can do online shopping make bhim upi with zero amc,while to withdraw cash you have to use a feature called yonocash on yono sbi app you can withdraw 20k per day

yes it is free but only for withdrawal
for depositing money using CDM then it will be charged @25 rs per transaction you must have physical debit card for zero charges while depositing money in cash deposit machine ie CDM HOWEVER depositing money in branch is free of cost

I had opened a savings account in Bandhan Bank (Rs 5000 AMB). I had opened it just to keep extra money there and to link it to my stockbroker. I opened it only after seeing on the NPCI website that it supports Aadhaar-OTP UPI registration. However, I was unable to register using the said method. It displayed an error that my Aadhaar number was not linked to my savings account. I am not willing to request a debit card as it will be of no use.

I complained the same to their Level 1 customer care.
They informed me that Aadhaar-OTP UPI registration is not available in Bandhan Bank.

I complained the same to their Principal Nodal Officer (PNO)
I mentioned that the facility is available as per the NPCI website. I also mentioned the RBI Master Directions, para 14 (d) of which states, "Banks shall not force a customer to avail debit card facility and shall not link issuance of debit card to availment of any other facility from the bank."
However, I did not receive any reply.

Finally, I escalated the matter to the RBI Ombudsman.
The PNO responded stating that the facility will be available from 31.08.2024 (tentatively).

The RBI Ombudsman has sought comments from me before closing the complaint. This is the first time something like this has happened to me though.
R u able to register for UPI Now?

So how do u use account?

What happened to ur complaint at Ombudsman?
The account can be used by logging into net banking and mobile banking. IMPS, NEFT, and RTGS are available without a debit card.

RBI Ombudsman has closed the complaint using the same solution as Bandhan Bank.
(see attachment)

Attachments

• RBI Ombudsman Bandhan Bank reply_page-0001.webp
    RBI Ombudsman Bandhan Bank reply_page-0001.webp
    309.8 KB · Views: 9
The account can be used by logging into net banking and mobile banking. IMPS, NEFT, and RTGS are available without a debit card.

(see attachment)
Now you are able to create UPI pin with aadhar ? As they mentioned 31 August

(see attachment)
U shouldn't have requested for free debit card instead u should have shown them that despite NPCI showing that Aadhar registration is available Aadhar registration was not happening.

Asking free products makes claim weak instead seek compensation for deficiency in service.

(see attachment)
File fresh complaint that despite earlier assurance the bank is not allowing AADHAR REGISTRATION.

Contact nodal officer of bank first.

U shouldn't have requested for free debit card instead u should have shown them that despite NPCI showing that Aadhar registration is available Aadhar registration was not happening.

Asking free products makes claim weak instead seek compensation for deficiency in service.
100% agree with this.
'Deficiency in service' is like grabbing them by the 🏀 🏈.
IMO, there was a chance to not let go.
YMMV.

Yes you're right. I realised it later.

I'm a newbie. I'm still learning new things from the TechnoFino community.

Back