• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bandhan Bank - NPCI and RBI guidelines violation

I had opened a savings account in Bandhan Bank (Rs 5000 AMB). I had opened it just to keep extra money there and to link it to my stockbroker. I opened it only after seeing on the NPCI website that it supports Aadhaar-OTP UPI registration. However, I was unable to register using the said method. It displayed an error that my Aadhaar number was not linked to my savings account. I am not willing to request a debit card as it will be of no use.

I complained the same to their Level 1 customer care.
They informed me that Aadhaar-OTP UPI registration is not available in Bandhan Bank.

I complained the same to their Principal Nodal Officer (PNO)
I mentioned that the facility is available as per the NPCI website. I also mentioned the RBI Master Directions, para 14 (d) of which states, "Banks shall not force a customer to avail debit card facility and shall not link issuance of debit card to availment of any other facility from the bank."
However, I did not receive any reply.

Finally, I escalated the matter to the RBI Ombudsman.
The PNO responded stating that the facility will be available from 31.08.2024 (tentatively).

The RBI Ombudsman has sought comments from me before closing the complaint. This is the first time something like this has happened to me though.

Update (05-Sep-2024)

Attachments

• Bandhan Aadhaar UPI registration 1.jpg
    Bandhan Aadhaar UPI registration 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Bandhan RBI-PNO reply_page-0001.jpg
    Bandhan RBI-PNO reply_page-0001.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 49
  • RBI comments_page-0001.jpg
    RBI comments_page-0001.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 50
  • RBI Ombudsman complaint Bandhan Bank_page-0001.jpg