• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best backup credit card for when Diners Black isn't supported

Tosh

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
What credit card or combination of cards is best to have as a backup for situations when Diner's cards are not accepted? Need not be a super premium card. I am thinking of BoB Eterna + Axis Ace (waiting forever for the offer to appear in GPay). Most of the spending will be on utilities, online shopping, and offline spending here and there for dining and merchant transactions.

I do not spend much, so LTF, low renewal fees cards, or cards with good renewal benefits like an equal amount of reward points/vouchers are preferred.

ashwink

TF Infinite
TF Family
Sr Moderator
What credit card or combination of cards is best to have as a backup for situations when Diner's cards are not accepted? Need not be a super premium card. I am thinking of BoB Eterna + Axis Ace (waiting forever for the offer to appear in GPay). Most of the spending will be on utilities, online shopping, and offline spending here and there for dining and merchant transactions.

I do not spend much, so LTF, low renewal fees cards, or cards with good renewal benefits like an equal amount of reward points/vouchers are preferred.
Best option 👌

vijay

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I think Eterna for online spending until its sweet spot each month and SC Ultimate should be the go-to option. For offline spending, Eterna's reward rate isn't good so SC Ultimate can be used. Moreover, SC Ultimate gives 1 reward point for every Rs 30/- so helps if the amount is small to collect reward points and it's a no exclusion card.

For utility bills, a better option will be to use SmartBuy with your DCB card in order to avoid any acceptability issues.

Pavan

TF Legend
TF Family
I think Eterna for online spending until its sweet spot each month and SC Ultimate should be the go-to option. For offline spending, Eterna's reward rate isn't good so SC Ultimate can be used. Moreover, SC Ultimate gives 1 reward point for every Rs 30/- so helps if the amount is small to collect reward points and it's a no exclusion card.

For utility bills, a better option will be to use SmartBuy with your DCB card in order to avoid any acceptability issues.
How to pay utility bills through smartbuy ?

ashwink

TF Infinite
TF Family
Sr Moderator

But SC Ultimate not an easy one to get or kind of impossible to get in LTF he wants for a backup purpose only..

vijay

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Oh ok but 2.5% charges ?
I think DCB gives 3x on instant vouchers so you can do the math. Plus it will help hit milestones on DCB as well.
Moreover, you can buy instant vouchers for other sites as well like Swiggy, BB, etc which don't have any extra charges for site-specific usages.

Pavan

TF Legend
TF Family
I think DCB gives 3x on instant vouchers so you can do the math. Plus it will help hit milestones on DCB as well.
Moreover, you can buy instant vouchers for other sites as well like Swiggy, BB, etc which don't have any extra charges for site-specific usages.
Nice idea :)

Tosh

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
But you can only buy Rs. 5000 worth of vouchers per month, and that incurs a 2.5% charge, so net returns are a bit lower than 10% but still more significant than anything you can get by any other means.

The only limit is the cap of 5000.

Tosh

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Eterna + SC Ultimate or even just Ultimate would be great. I won't mind the fees either since they give RPs on renewal. The thing is I do not have any banking relations with SCB and fear they will reject my application.

How old does the card need to be for C2C applications?

vijay

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Eterna + SC Ultimate or even just Ultimate would be great. I won't mind the fees either since they give RPs on renewal. The thing is I do not have any banking relations with SCB and fear they will reject my application.

How old does the card need to be for C2C applications?
I applied using income docs as my company was on the approved list that they have. No idea if they accept C2C or not. You can check in the SC thread or contact the branch and apply offline as their online application has some issues.

Tosh

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I applied using income docs as my company was on the approved list that they have. No idea if they accept C2C or not. You can check in the SC thread or contact the branch and apply offline as their online application has some issues.
I skimmed through that forum earlier but could not find the approved companies list. Also, are they very strict about the requirement for income, or do they make exceptions for a somewhat lower salary?