• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best card for Foreign travel

Hi,

I will be travelling to Vietnam next month & want to know your suggestions on best travel card.

I have Niyo Global, Fi & Money Hop cards.

Niyo Global is giving rate of 303 dong per 1Rs where as google shows 306Rs as current rate. Yesterday Niyo Global was showing 296Rs where as google was showing 305. Will there be such big difference? Is there any other charges that I can expect apart from 100rs ATM withdraw fee?

I am not sure if Fi & Money Hop gives better conversion rates.

Please share your experience

Instead of Google, pls use Visa exchange rate to compare..

Niyo SBM global Blog, one can see some concerns like money deducted but transactions failed (could be due to Backend servers of SBM bank). Having a card from reputed Bank will be safer than those brands you mentioned..

Hi,

I will be travelling to Vietnam next month & want to know your suggestions on best travel card.

I have Niyo Global, Fi & Money Hop cards.

Niyo Global is giving rate of 303 dong per 1Rs where as google shows 306Rs as current rate. Yesterday Niyo Global was showing 296Rs where as google was showing 305. Will there be such big difference? Is there any other charges that I can expect apart from 100rs ATM withdraw fee?

I am not sure if Fi & Money Hop gives better conversion rates.

Please share your experience
Let me clear a few things for you:
1) Niyo Global works everywhere except when they have downtimes for which you will get an email, last's a few hours generally after midnight IST. I have personally used it from INR50 to INR1.5Lakh transactions without ever having any issue.
2) Niyo Global uses Visa exchnage rates, MC ones are slightly better, Fi, Money Hop, IDFC WOW will all be the same, Visa / MC rates. The rates you see online are Wholesale / Interbank / Midmarket rates, those you simply will never ever get anywhere, don't bother checking those.
3) IDFC WOW would be nice since it is a CC, if it has purchase protection (not sure it does), compared to others which are DC basically.
4) ATM charge for Niyo is 118 (incl. 18% GST)

Let me clear a few things for you:
1) Niyo Global works everywhere except when they have downtimes for which you will get an email, last's a few hours generally after midnight IST. I have personally used it from INR50 to INR1.5Lakh transactions without ever having any issue.
2) Niyo Global uses Visa exchnage rates, MC ones are slightly better, Fi, Money Hop, IDFC WOW will all be the same, Visa / MC rates. The rates you see online are Wholesale / Interbank / Midmarket rates, those you simply will never ever get anywhere, don't bother checking those.
3) IDFC WOW would be nice since it is a CC, if it has purchase protection (not sure it does), compared to others which are DC basically.
4) ATM charge for Niyo is 118 (incl. 18% GST)
I think Indusind exclusive debit card is also one of the good one. Free unlimited times cash withdrawal domestic/internation + you get reward points too. Wow card from idfc provides rewards worth 1% which is also quite good.

I have used Niyo global in Dubai this month, no issue at all. Maybe there was no downtime then. I also used IDFC wealth which has 1.5% Forex markup.

@CC_Fire Do you mean Niyo Global credit card? Beacuse in Niyo Global Debit Card, International transactions have been disabled because of RBI actions.

@CC_Fire is it better to go with this card or go with the Niyo global credit card they offer?
Unfortunately due to some issue I was unable to get the credit card so no experience with that but the debit card is very good. No fx charges and decent rates on conversion. Pretty much worked at all ATMs also with reasonable fee (think it was 99/withdrawal but check according to which country you are going to)

And their bank account is an equitas account. So i generally use it to keep some money since they had savings rate of 7%

Thanks for your help! I ended up using the WSFX Smart currency card. It's pretty expensive to transact, but it worked seamlessly everywhere.

Is Niyo Global Debit Card working now? I used it for around 3-4L purchases in Dubai last September. But there were many articles stating that RBI has stopped the usage of Niyo Global Debit Cards.

Back