• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.
Hi! I just want to open a zero balance account or payments bank account for small transaction purposes. And, I don't want to pay any fee, not even for physical debit card.

All suggestions are appreciated.
if u have indusind legend /pinnacle cc u can get 0AMB select/excluisve account

I am not sure about sms charges but you can deactivate from bob app .
No hidden charges .
If you maintain 3k in metro city and 2k in semi urban then you will get rupay platinum ltf .
Seamless upi transactions free imps neft rtgs through bob app .
DEBIT CARD LESS ATM withdrawl upto 5000.
Well, I just tried to open BOB Bro yesterday. Failed due to using a mobile number not linked with my Aadhaar. Today their customer service called me and fixed an appointment for offline account opening.

The BOB Bro gives free Rupay Platinum Card without any MAB requirements unlike BOB Lite. But some youtubers pointed that only issuance and renewal charges are waived off. Annual maintenance charge will still be applicable. So, I will opt for virtual card only.

Can you comment on the amc charges? And, is there free virtual card available in BOB app? @praful47

Indusind is good option but be ready for late services and buggy experience open it online get physical kyc done nearest branch their online agent are good of nothing also only open indusind account if you’re aiming for debit signature plus or delight otherwise if you just have upi use case may be kotak is better chocie or axis in some case

Well, I just tried to open BOB Bro yesterday. Failed due to using a mobile number not linked with my Aadhaar. Today their customer service called me and fixed an appointment for offline account opening.

The BOB Bro gives free Rupay Platinum Card without any MAB requirements unlike BOB Lite. But some youtubers pointed that only issuance and renewal charges are waived off. Annual maintenance charge will still be applicable. So, I will opt for virtual card only.

Can you comment on the amc charges? And, is there free virtual card available in BOB app? @praful47
that 's why i suggested bob lite account .
bob bro account is not totally free as it is marketed.

All Resident Students aged between 16 to 25 years Joint Account :allowed with parent and guardian.

Withdrawals will be allowed either by withdrawal forms or by cheques. Payment against withdrawal form along with passbook is allowed for self only with per day limit of Rs.25000/- (Minimum Rs.25/- in Rural/SU and Rs. 50/- in Metro/Urban).

MY suggestion would be to open bob lite account and generate rupay platinum virtual dc in bob app , you can convert it later into physical dc .

BOB Bro: 0 MAB(18-25)
IDFC Future first: 0 MAB(must be a student or passed out from their listed inst...)

Au SFB: U've to pay DC charges
Indusind Delite: freezing issues
Federal bank Excel: 0 MAB and no charges but it is only for graduates/Professionals
Indusind select/Exclusive: if u have indusind Legend/Pinnacle cc
How to open Federal Bank Excel? Also any charges for DC?

Since you've mentioned you don't want to even pay for a debit card, the best suggestion would be Bank of Baroda's BOB Lite Savings account.

The debit card issued with it—a RuPay Platinum one—is completely free of cost as long as you maintain a quarterly average balance of at least ₹3,000 (Urban). No issuance and annual charges would be levied as long as you're maintaining the aforementioned criteria. If you don't fulfil this criteria, they'll levy ₹354 (inc. GST) as issuance and annual charges each.

Just ensure that you check on the option of Debit Card when you're applying for it online, and you'll get your physical debit card within a week or two inside the Welcome Kit along with chequebook.

They levy charges on only SMS and outbound IMPS transactions. SMS alerts can be turned off from their app easily (You'll get mandatory alerts even if it's turned off).

But, please note that if you have ever created any account with them before, you can't open this account scheme.

Their service and tech isn't so great, but it would surely fulfil your criteria.

Other alternatives:
1. Kotak 811 is another good alternative if you don't want a physical debit card (They provide a virtual one by default), but their customer service sucks.

2. HDFC Savings Max account (Product Code 193) would be another great alternative if you can keep at least a single FD or multiple FDs amounting to a minimum of ₹1.5L. If you do so, it would essentially become a zero balance account. Otherwise, you'd have to maintain a monthly average balance of ₹25,000.

But, bonus: as you desire, you get a physical LTF Visa Platinum Debit Card, which fetches you 1% cashback for most payments!

Only outbound IMPS transactions are chargeable with this HDFC account variant.

I personally use this account and my experience has been really great though.

Hope I was able to help you.

Jio payments bank
If you want mental peace, do not open your account in Jio Maro Payments Bank and keep even ₹2 there. Their infrastructure is so shitty it keeps going down and stays down most of the day and even days sometimes. Their UPI server was fully down for over a week last month until I escalated the issue to their leadership team.

Even today, many customers on X claimed to have their amounts debited, but the recipients didn't receive the remittance. Been happening for over 10 hours now!

Their UPI server is down again. And their mobile banking service has been down for hours as well.

It's just good for the Amazon Friday offer for bill payments. That's all. But with their shitty infrastructure, even that fails occasionally.

Back