• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Climbing the credit card ladder

bdnbje

TF Buzz
I think the community will greatly appreciate a guide in climbing the credit card ladder. Like im stuck with entry level cards only. 🙁

I think the community will greatly appreciate a guide in climbing the credit card ladder. Like im stuck with entry level cards only. 🙁
Do have a requirement though? A lot of entry-level cards have a decent reward structure. You could basically just get the Axis Ace for your offline spends and your choice of a cashback card for your online spends and you're all set. Sure premium cards may have a better reward structure, but that's only incentivized towards your travel spends. I know a lot of people got on the bandwagon of Magnus cause of the hype, and most of them don't even understand the miles game properly. It's not about having a flashy card but maximizing returns as per your circumstance.

Do have a requirement though? A lot of entry-level cards have a decent reward structure. You could basically just get the Axis Ace for your offline spends and your choice of a cashback card for your online spends and you're all set. Sure premium cards may have a better reward structure, but that's only incentivized towards your travel spends. I know a lot of people got on the bandwagon of Magnus cause of the hype, and most of them don't even understand the miles game properly. It's not about having a flashy card but maximizing returns as per your circumstance.
I would agree with you but for me cc is like collecting pokemon lol. My monthly spends are like 10k max each month. 😛 . I wouldn't mind having a magnus tho xD

Dear forum members,

I am seeking some advice and opinions regarding my credit cards. I currently hold an HDFC Indian Oil Credit Card with a limit of 25k, which I received as a pre-approved offer on my HDFC account, and it has been a year since I got this card. Recently, I also got a Tata Neu Plus Credit Card with a shared limit with my HDFC Indian Oil Credit Card, and a Flipkart Axis Bank Credit Card with a 15k limit, just five days ago.

I am interested in increasing the limits on my above cards and upgrading them to higher variants. However, despite emailing HDFC customer care, I have not received any upgrade offer. I suspect it might be because I am a second-year student, and my age is 19, which is less than the eligibility age of 21 years. Therefore, I am seeking your guidance on how to get better cards and increase the limits on my existing ones.

I would also appreciate it if you could suggest which credit card I should apply for next, considering my current situation. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and insights.

Dear forum members,

I am seeking some advice and opinions regarding my credit cards. I currently hold an HDFC Indian Oil Credit Card with a limit of 25k, which I received as a pre-approved offer on my HDFC account, and it has been a year since I got this card. Recently, I also got a Tata Neu Plus Credit Card with a shared limit with my HDFC Indian Oil Credit Card, and a Flipkart Axis Bank Credit Card with a 15k limit, just five days ago.

I am interested in increasing the limits on my above cards and upgrading them to higher variants. However, despite emailing HDFC customer care, I have not received any upgrade offer. I suspect it might be because I am a second-year student, and my age is 19, which is less than the eligibility age of 21 years. Therefore, I am seeking your guidance on how to get better cards and increase the limits on my existing ones.

I would also appreciate it if you could suggest which credit card I should apply for next, considering my current situation. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Try to add icici apay and idfc millennia both are ltf

Can you actually get ACE as of now? 🙄

Dear forum members,

Bhai parhai karlo CC wagera bad mein dekh lena

I'm 22 and have 2 premium cards+a few other cards because I earn that much

a few suggestions:

1. check for LE offers periodically. if there are no offers, try to email the bank requesting them to increase limit based on your spends (you will need to spend a good enough on that card in a planned manner - I did that and I was successful). do not try to do this with banks like bob, pnb, federal, etc etc (you get my point).
your best bet is axis, HDFC, ICICI, idfc as they are in the race for capturing credit card market and may heed your request. ASK AND THOU SHALT GET.

2. use this increased LE to go for C2C in other banks or an upgrade in current bank.

3. visit bank and meet an RM with your request. give them some business, they will give you what you want in return.

do the above 3 things during the last week of the month or financial year where banks are on a full swing to complete their sales targets.

some gyaan (for free):
4. don't go after premium cards just for flaunting 'status'. unless you are willing to bear the burden of fees and running after milestones in return for that status symbol. I personally run after savings and reward rate. premium cards know that people who can afford their premium fees do not care about reward rates and hence, these cards are (MOSTLY) designed for 'lifestyle' rather than rewards. an ltf ICICI platinum card gives you the same discount as an emeralde. an ltf axis also gives you the same lounge access where magnus holders sit. an ltf idfc card holder also sits adjacent to an au zenith holder in a movie theatre with bogo/50% discount offers.

5. it will take time. as you grow in age, income, expenditure, so will your card eligibility. a 21 year old with a 2 yr job experience wanting super premium cards equivalent to a 30yr old with 10yrs experience is unrealistic.

I have been through this journey (though only since the last 2 years). but you have to keep your eyes and ears open for marketing campaigns and also be aware that you don't fall to frauds. for eg the kotak white ltf thread.

Last edited:
i have cb card but i feel like i have a lot of redundant cards in my portfolio right now like SBI CB Axis FK ICICI Apay and hdfc millenia. I'm looking to upgrade this millenia to something like regalia since millenia is useless to me but i have a 75k limit with it came preapproved with my sb. 75k is much lower than the floor limit for regalia i believe but i have been spending a lot using this card for the last 6 months but no LE generated : (. Can you help me write a mail requesting them for LE ?
I once talked with with HDFC, and they said for getting regalia, you should have a limit of at least 3L on any card for c2c. 4L will be more preferred. So get some other cards from another bank. I have seen that ICICI provides a good limit, and you can get to 4L really quick and then ask for le for milenia on c2c basis and then upgrade the card

Back