• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Closed my 4 years old Citi Rewards card!

mangalorean

TF Select
Today, I finally closed my Citi rewards card. I initially got this card almost four years ago and was always impressed with their customer service. Unlike some other banks, reaching a human agent was incredibly easy. Plus, the card had a very reasonable INR 30,000 annual fee waiver criteria.

While I used this card frequently in the beginning, especially for apparel purchases with its instant point redemption feature, I found the reward rates underwhelming compared to my other cards. Furthermore, redeeming vouchers (other than those from eligible transactions) required a hefty minimum of 10,000 points.

My initial credit limit was INR 40,000. After two and a half years, they increased it to INR 60,000 – still significantly lower than my other cards with limits ten times higher. My requests for limit enhancements were consistently denied. Four months ago, I attempted to close the card and even requested it be converted to a lifetime free (LTF) option, but that was also denied. Despite this, they offered me INR 2,000 in retention credits, which I accepted. However, I knew it wouldn't change my decision to close the card, especially with the pending Axis Bank transition. I already have two Axis cards (Airtel and Flipkart) with a substantial shared limit, leaving me uninterested in additional Axis offerings at this time.

On 4th of March, I submitted a closure request and received this email:
1709880089308.png
I followed the email instructions and called the provided number. After wading through a slow IVR (unfortunately, not toll-free), I was finally transferred to the retention team. As expected, they tried hard to keep my business due to my previous spending history. Since I'd already met the annual fee waiver threshold, they suggested I keep the card for a few more months in hopes that Axis Bank would present a similar or better offer. I declined and proceeded with the closure request. In a last-ditch effort, the agent offered me the IndianOil Citi Credit Card, even suggesting an LTF option based on my Citi relationship. I declined this as well.

At last, the agent accepted my closure request and closed the card for good.
1709880632503.png
I truly appreciated Citi's exceptional customer service; no other bank compares. It's a shame they're leaving India and didn't have stronger rewards programs. As the saying goes, all good things come to an end.

Do you still have a Citi card? Are you keeping it or planning to close it?