• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Closing debit cards permanently

Akash.nagori

TF Premier
I have saving Account with BOI and Union bank but I don’t use their debit cards any more and i feel like I am paying AMC without any reason so is it possible to close both the debit cards permanently? I called their customer care support and as usual they are not sure about it so need some help about it

I have saving Account with BOI and Union bank but I don’t use their debit cards any more and i feel like I am paying AMC without any reason so is it possible to close both the debit cards permanently? I called their customer care support and as usual they are not sure about it so need some help about it
Just tell them to block your debit card & don't issue new card. Then you won't be charged any AMC.

Difference between block & hotlist?
Just a different term, hotlist is more powerful than block in some cases and in some banks..
The hotlisted card can not revoked
Where as blocked card can sometimes be reinstated if it is a temporary block..

1716646988440.png

Once card is hotlisted, it is equvalent to a dead card..
To get a new card you MUST request for issuance of new card.. If you dont do this request to reissue, you are assumed to be holding no DC..

I did hotlisted my KVB card.. since then no card annual charges are levied..
The customer care guys just doesn't know the stuff they are talking about most of the times.

Last edited:
Just a different term, hotlist is more powerful than block in some cases and in some banks..
The hotlisted card can not revoked
Where as blocked card can sometimes be reinstated if it is a temporary block..

View attachment 54936

Once card is hotlisted, it is equvalent to a dead card..
To get a new card you MUST request for issuance of new card.. If you dont do this request to reissue, you are assumed to be holding no DC..

I did hotlisted my KVB card.. since then no card annual charges are levied..
The customer care guys just doesn't know the stuff they are talking about most of the times.
yes this is an issue that most of the executives are not aware of many things… I will try to call them once again before hotlisting my cards

Simply go to the branch and handover the DC with a covering letter. Specifically asking them NOT to issue any DC.

The only downside is some banks ask for Debit Card details while registering their Mobile Apps. In such cases, after DC is closed, you need to take the help of their CustomerCare guys in case you uninstall their App and try to re-install it on the same device or on a new device.

We surrendered their DC and within a month or so, closed the SB as well.

Simply go to the branch and handover the DC with a covering letter. Specifically asking them NOT to issue any DC.

The only downside is some banks ask for Debit Card details while registering their Mobile Apps. In such cases, after DC is closed, you need to take the help of their CustomerCare guys in case you uninstall their App and try to re-install it on the same device or on a new device.

We surrendered their DC and within a month or so, closed the SB as well.
Thanks sir for the reminder I totally forgot about this situation I would prefer to close one debit card then and keep one active

For boi call customer care and block. Then you have to go to your home branch to de link debit card from sb account. For this you have to submit a application otherwise they will charge amc.

they will have free card option.. basic one.. take that..

Back