• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Concerns regarding HDFC Bank Credit Card Policy

Gabbar.Singh

TF Select
I recently received a message from HDFC Bank regarding my DCB credit card and I wanted to share my concerns with you.

As someone who is currently travelling in Europe, I wanted to disable contactless and online payment for domestic usage and instead enable international usage with only POS transactions. However, HDFC Bank has been urging me to enable my credit card for online and contactless transactions immediately, stating that failure to do so may result in closure of my account.

I have some serious concerns about the potential risks and threats this policy may pose to the interests of cardholders. That's why I am hesitant to comply with this request without first understanding the implications and potential risks involved. I would appreciate it if any of you could provide me with more information about this policy and whether it is genuine.

Have any of you experienced something similar with HDFC Bank or another bank? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. Let's start a conversation about this important issue!

though hdfc is at fault here for not providing clear information, i believe this sms is for new card activation. you have to activate any new credit cards within 30 days by setting up pin and doing atleast 1 transaction (any type , pos or online doesnt matter). this is RBI rule, so that if by some means some card is sent without your consent, it will be auto closed if you do not use it for 30 days from the day you receive the card

Wait is this a New card?
Like not even 30 days since getting it?

If yes, then it's perhaps regarding that RBI guideline to close cards that aren't "activated" within 30 days of being issued.
In that case you're all good to go.

And in any case, you can very well enable online domestic txns and do a small txn (buy gift card or something)
And then close it. Shouldn't be getting any message thereafter.

Wait is this a New card?
Like not even 30 days since getting it?

If yes, then it's perhaps regarding that RBI guideline to close cards that aren't "activated" within 30 days of being issued.
In that case you're all good to go.

And in any case, you can very well enable online domestic txns and do a small txn (buy gift card or something)
And then close it. Shouldn't be getting any message thereafter.
It's new but it's activated and have been used at several places.

though hdfc is at fault here for not providing clear information, i believe this sms is for new card activation. you have to activate any new credit cards within 30 days by setting up pin and doing atleast 1 transaction (any type , pos or online doesnt matter). this is RBI rule, so that if by some means some card is sent without your consent, it will be auto closed if you do not use it for 30 days from the day you receive the card
The card is activated and have been used on several occasions in the past.

It's new but it's activated and have been used at several places.
The card is activated and have been used on several occasions in the past.
If you've used the card already then you can pretty much ignore the message in my personal opinion

I also experienced this on my new card from another bank. It's because of RBI guidelines to close cards that are not used within 30 days of issuance

Yes... I have got these messages many many times from multiple channels about activating my card even though my card was activated pretty much within 5 minutes of receiving it.

It's a messed up system where HDFC and other banks (Axis!) don't check if you've activated your card. I guess it's cheaper for them to keep bombarding you with SMS/Email/Whatsapp/Robocalls than to that???

Yes... I have got these messages many many times from multiple channels about activating my card even though my card was activated pretty much within 5 minutes of receiving it.

It's a messed up system where HDFC and other banks (Axis!) don't check if you've activated your card. I guess it's cheaper for them to keep bombarding you with SMS/Email/Whatsapp/Robocalls than to that???
Sad but true. It's both irritating and confusing for some users

The manager in charge of CC locally confirmed to me that this was a general message sent to every new cardholder, regardless of whether they activated the card within 30 days or not.

Their sole aim seems to be to terrorise customers by bombarding them with such irresponsible messages!

I have used credit cards issued by other banks, and their messages are correctly worded. They advise customers to activate their cards instead of terrorising them.

The manager in charge of CC locally confirmed to me that this was a general message sent to every new cardholder, regardless of whether they activated the card within 30 days or not.

Their sole aim seems to be to terrorise customers by bombarding them with such irresponsible messages!

I have used credit cards issued by other banks, and their messages are correctly worded. They advise customers to activate their cards instead of terrorising them.
Should not be too hard to say "Cards not activated within 30 days from date of issue" will be closed instead of saying "your" card might be closed.

Back