• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Card Chargeback Claim System: Ultimate Guide

One of the primary benefits of using a credit card is the level of protection it provides. Along with various perks, credit cards offer a few safeguards, such as fraud protection and a chargeback system. Although the chargeback system is incredibly useful, it's often overlooked. Therefore, today, we'll delve into the details of the credit card chargeback system.
Compared to a bank account or debit card, a credit card's chargeback system is much more potent. Chargeback refers to the process of disputing a transaction that you believe you're not responsible for paying.

Under what circumstances can you file a chargeback claim?
You can file a chargeback claim with your card-issuing bank if you experience any of the following issues:
  • Fraudulent transactions
  • Non-delivery of an ordered item
  • Item damaged upon arrival
  • Incorrect transaction amount
  • Charged for a canceled subscription
  • Service not received
In case of any fraudulent transaction, it's essential to file a chargeback immediately. If you've purchased a damaged product, received an incorrect item, or the merchant didn't deliver the product, you can also file a chargeback claim. Additionally, if you've paid for a service but didn't receive it, or if a company continues to charge you for a canceled digital subscription, you can also file a chargeback claim. These are just a few examples, and the reasons for filing a chargeback claim are not limited to them. If you feel that you've been cheated, you can file a chargeback claim. However, it's crucial to avoid filing a false chargeback claim, as this can result in legal issues.

What is the procedure for filing a chargeback?
If you wish to file a chargeback, you can call your bank's customer care and explain your issue, and help them to identify the transaction you want to dispute. Your bank may ask you to download a chargeback claim form, fill it out, and send it to them via email. This process may take up to 120 days to complete. The bank will provide you with temporary credit for the disputed amount so that you do not have to pay until the bank decides on your chargeback claim.

What happens next after a chargeback is initiated?
The chargeback process is not a single event, but rather a complex and time-consuming process involving several parties. The main participants in this process are the cardholder, the merchant, the issuing bank, the acquiring bank, and sometimes the credit card network.
The chargeback process starts with a disputed payment. When you dispute a transaction, your card-issuing bank will notify the merchant through the acquiring bank. Upon receiving the notification, the merchant can either accept the chargeback or challenge the claim. If the merchant accepts the chargeback, then you will receive a refund from your bank, the temporary credit that was previously credited will become permanent.
However, if the merchant decides to challenge your claim, they must submit a rebuttal letter and supporting evidence to prove that the dispute is invalid. The issuing bank will evaluate this evidence and make a decision whether to reverse or uphold the chargeback.
If the bank decides in favor of the customer, they will receive a refund, the temporary credit will become permanent. On the other hand, if the bank decides in favor of the merchant, the temporary credit will be reversed from the customer's account, and they will have to pay the bill within the due date.
If the merchant disagrees with the bank's decision, they can also appeal through arbitration. At this point, the card network, such as Rupay, Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc, who issued customer’s credit card, will step in to decide the case. However, the losing party in arbitration will be charged some fees, and no further appeal will be accepted.

Credit cards offer many benefits, including the ability to file chargeback claims. Personally, I have filed three or four chargeback claims and won all of them. Unfortunately, many credit card users are not aware of these hidden benefits, which can be invaluable. Chargebacks have saved me many times and given us the power to avoid being harassed by merchants or companies.
I have done a payment to a merchant via Gpay using SBI BPCL Rupay Credit Card, and transaction got failed. when i checked the sbi statement , the amount got debited twice , even though i made a single upi transaction. When i raised the dispute , the sbi customer care mentioned it as fradualant and blocked the card and asking me to raise cyber crime complaint to receive the amount. I didn't understand for a failed transaction why i should file a cyber crime complaint, can any one help me what i need to do here. and also how to raise cyber crime complaint?

I have done a payment to a merchant via Gpay using SBI BPCL Rupay Credit Card, and transaction got failed. when i checked the sbi statement , the amount got debited twice , even though i made a single upi transaction. When i raised the dispute , the sbi customer care mentioned it as fradualant and blocked the card and asking me to raise cyber crime complaint to receive the amount. I didn't understand for a failed transaction why i should file a cyber crime complaint, can any one help me what i need to do here. and also how to raise cyber crime complaint?
Email the merchant to refund the extra amount and if they deny then email customerservicehead@sbicard.com with all proofs including merchant email reply copy to raise a chargeback.

Update: Merchant not received it. and I made an email to chargeback team, and they mentioned they need 2 working days to process. Now they confirmed no need to file Cyber Crime as merchant did not received it and transactions will get purged off and resolving the transaction disputes.

they blocked the card , created a mess for me. I will not use SBI Rupay CC anymore for UPI after this pathetic Customer Service.

Update: Merchant not received it. and I made an email to chargeback team, and they mentioned they need 2 working days to process. Now they confirmed no need to file Cyber Crime as merchant did not received it and transactions will get purged off and resolving the transaction disputes.

they blocked the card , created a mess for me. I will not use SBI Rupay CC anymore for UPI after this pathetic Customer Service.
SBI ka koi bhi card use karo RuPay, visa, mastercard etc. Sab me aisa he hai.

Anyway, SBI will freely replace your card.

SBI ka koi bhi card use karo RuPay, visa, mastercard etc. Sab me aisa he hai.

Anyway, SBI will freely replace your card.
Chargeback ke liye card replace wah 🤣🤣🤣

Maine Axis se chargeback karke merchant ko sabak sikhaya hai merchant mujhe baar baar call karke mera paise refund Kiya fir email reply karne bola "my issue is resolved".

Asli chargeback ki shakti visa cards + axis ke sath experience kiya hai maine.

Last edited:
Chargeback ke liye card replace wah 🤣🤣🤣

Maine Axis se chargeback karke merchant ko sabak sikhaya hai merchant mujhe baar baar call karke mera paise refund Kiya fir email reply karne bola "my issue is resolved".

Asli chargeback ki shakti visa cards + axis ke sath experience kiya hai maine.
bhaiyo kisi ne SBI mastercard variant of simply click ke sath chargeback file kiya hai amazon pe to kindly share your all details.
In my case amazon sent different internal and external split ac units of hitachi due to which warranty was voided by hitachi. I filed a return request on amazon which got accepted, but since 6 days on the day of pickup, delivery guy does not come to my location.
WHen i talk to amazon customer care, they again create a new pickup, this i have done twice, now tomorrow is again 3rd time pickup of defective AC.
Does my case qualify for chargeback ? Kindly guide ?

bhaiyo kisi ne SBI mastercard variant of simply click ke sath chargeback file kiya hai amazon pe to kindly share your all details.
In my case amazon sent different internal and external split ac units of hitachi due to which warranty was voided by hitachi. I filed a return request on amazon which got accepted, but since 6 days on the day of pickup, delivery guy does not come to my location.
WHen i talk to amazon customer care, they again create a new pickup, this i have done twice, now tomorrow is again 3rd time pickup of defective AC.
You should register a complaint against Amazon in National Consumer Helpline with all proofs as raising a chargeback against Top ecommerce sites is not a good idea. If NCH doesn't solve your problem then file a chargeback.

You should register a complaint against Amazon in National Consumer Helpline with all proofs as raising a chargeback against Top ecommerce sites is not a good idea. If NCH doesn't solve your problem then file a chargeback.
Jab tk NCH reply krega tb tk me sbi ko chargeback ki window nikal jayegi. 25 days hai vo window. Why shouldn't we chargeback against amazon if we are not in the wrong ? Is there something I should know bhai ?

Jab tk NCH reply krega tb tk me sbi ko chargeback ki window nikal jayegi. 25 days hai vo window. Why shouldn't we chargeback against amazon if we are not in the wrong ? Is there something I should know bhai ?
I never had a problem with Amazon., except yesterday I bought an Amazon pay voucher and it is cancelled and marked for refund.

Last edited:
I heard Flipkart and Amazon reply to NCH complaints so fast.
If you want to risk your Amazon account then raise a chargeback btw I don't think SBI Card will raise a chargeback without merchants response and proofs.

Bhai ab pick up krne Ni aayenge to kB to wait Karu me pickup courier ka. Amazon kya account band kr deta hai chargeback kre to ?

call on 1800 1200 9009 once, this acts is like escalation customer service.

If anyone has a troubling experience with amazon refund for any large appliance @TechnoFino @SSV @D₹V @Vasuki @VISHESH_BANSAL Kindly guide, how to get refund from them. Everyday they create a new refund, on the day of pickup, no one comes to pick the AC. I have put my complaint on NCH, filed a chargeback using sbi card. Also sent mail on amazon id like
ofm@amazon.in,
grievance-officer@amazon.in,
Jeff@amazon.com
Anything else needs to be done, kindly let me know. This is the worst experience i got from amazon. Flipkart ko to yu hi badnaam kiya humne. Ye to amazon ke sath bohot jyada ho gaya hai.

If anyone has a troubling experience with amazon refund for any large appliance @TechnoFino @SSV @D₹V @Vasuki @VISHESH_BANSAL Kindly guide, how to get refund from them. Everyday they create a new refund, on the day of pickup, no one comes to pick the AC. I have put my complaint on NCH, filed a chargeback using sbi card. Also sent mail on amazon id like
ofm@amazon.in,
grievance-officer@amazon.in,
Jeff@amazon.com
Anything else needs to be done, kindly let me know. This is the worst experience i got from amazon. Flipkart ko to yu hi badnaam kiya humne. Ye to amazon ke sath bohot jyada ho gaya hai.
Jeff Bezos email works ? Or there is another Jeff email

I had a scary experience of mis-selling in Goa back in 2021, when this chargeback came to rescue.

The Trap: While me & wife were out driving on a Fascino, a guy approached us at a signal with a scratch card offering free gift. The condition was that we had accompany him for a 20min tour to a property (hotel). Once we reached the hotel, there a different fraud going on there. In a big hall, young to middle-aged gullible victims (mostly tourists) were were convinced to buy holiday packages starting from 1.5 - 2L based on false & fake assured benefits. Promises like stay at 5-star properties at dirt cheap rates, not only domestic but also international locations.

Cut through the story...I too fell for the trap & paid 1.5L through my Axis Ace card. And when read there info brochure, I immediately realised that I was taken for ride as there was no mention of the property star rating and a very clear line stating "No commitment other than what mentioned in this brochure, whether communicated verbally or otherwise, shall be fulfilled."

Next day I again went to hotel & gave them a written letter requesting for cancellation of the package. But as expected, no one seemed interested. The guy who was like my brother the other day, had no time for & asked me wait in the waiting area, away from the hall, where new customers were being lured. After an hour of waiting they took my application but tried convincing me to not cancel & if I go ahead with the cancellation a hefty amount will be deducted as penalty etc.

I could not follow up again as we had to leave the next day. Once I returned back I called the guy to inquire about my cancellation but he did not answer anything clearly & slowly I also left hope, thinking we'll see whatever comes.

The Unexpected Saviour: Around 8-10 days later, I got a call from the Holiday Package agency office, asking my confirmation for the package. Here I told the lady that I've requested for cancellation but I am not aware of the status. To this the lady informed that there is no request for cancellation in my account. Upon this the lady came ahead and suggested me to raise a chargeback request from my bank side. She briefly explained me the process. I immediately raised a chargeback request saying that the transaction got failed initially when I tried and later on I changed my mind to not go through the payment, but in my unbilled statement, I can the transaction as successful. Also, a great thing, there was a temporary credit of the same amount 1.5L in my card account.

The Twist: The very next day of the chargeback request, I started receiving calls from so many executives of the Holiday Package company asking me the reason for chargeback & again convincing me to take back the request. Some even offered upgrade with any additional cost, but I stayed firm on cancellation. One day, the same lady who suggested me this chargeback, called saying that she is under lot of pressure because of my case & that I should not tell anyone that she suggested me chargeback, or else she may be fired. I assured her I won't take her name.

The Relief: Axis Bank had mentioned that it may take upto 120 days for any resolution, but to my surprise, in less than 30 days, I received the chargeback refund.

I would always be thankful for that Angel Lady !!
🙏🙏🙏🙏

Last edited:
Bhai how did you filed chargeback in axis ? What was the process ? I have filed chargeback in sbi card using application in mobile, plus I have filled form and mailed it to them.

I had a scary experience of mis-selling in Goa back in 2021, when this chargeback came to rescue.

The Trap: While me & wife were out driving on a Fascino, a guy approached us at a signal with a scratch card offering free gift. The condition was that we had accompany him for a 20min tour to a property (hotel). Once we reached the hotel, there a different fraud going on there. In a big hall, young to middle-aged gullible victims (mostly tourists) were were convinced to buy holiday packages starting from 1.5 - 2L based on false & fake assured benefits. Promises like stay at 5-star properties at dirt cheap rates, not only domestic but also international locations.

Cut through the story...I too fell for the trap & paid 1.5L through my Axis Ace card. And when read there info brochure, I immediately realised that I was taken for ride as there was no mention of the property star rating and a very clear line stating "No commitment other than what mentioned in this brochure, whether communicated verbally or otherwise, shall be fulfilled."

Next day I again went to hotel & gave them a written letter requesting for cancellation of the package. But as expected, no one seemed interested. The guy who was like my brother the other day, had no time for & asked me wait in the waiting area, away from the hall, where new customers were being lured. After an hour of waiting they took my application but tried convincing me to not cancel & if I go ahead with the cancellation a hefty amount will be deducted as penalty etc.

I could not follow up again as we had to leave the next day. Once I returned back I called the guy to inquire about my cancellation but he did not answer anything clearly & slowly I also left hope, thinking we'll see whatever comes.

The Unexpected Saviour: Around 8-10 days later, I got a call from the Holiday Package agency office, asking my confirmation for the package. Here I told the lady that I've requested for cancellation but I am not aware of the status. To this the lady informed that there is no request for cancellation in my account. Upon this the lady came ahead and suggested me to raise a chargeback request from my bank side. She briefly explained me the process. I immediately raised a chargeback request saying that the transaction got failed initially when I tried and later on I changed my mind to not go through the payment, but in my unbilled statement, I can the transaction as successful. Also, a great thing, there was a temporary credit of the same amount 1.5L in my card account.

The Twist: The very next day of the chargeback request, I started receiving calls from so many executives of the Holiday Package of the company asking me the reason for chargeback & again convincing me to take back the request. Some even offered upgrade with any additional cost, but I stayed firm on cancellation. One day the same lady who suggested me this chargeback, called saying that she is under lot of pressure because of my case & that I should not tell anyone that she suggested me chargeback, or else she may be fired. I assured her I won't take her name.

The Relief: Axis Bank had mentioned that it may take upto 120 days for any resolution, but to my surprise, in less than 30 days, I received the chargeback refund.

I would always be thankful for that Angel Lady !!
🙏🙏🙏🙏
You are lucky you got saved.

Last edited:
Back