• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Cards to apply at the age of 20

ashwinpillai

TF Buzz
Hi,

I am 20 years old and I have 2 years ITR of income 3L - self employed.

I want to apply for many credit cards, what can I apply for as I can see that many banks either require 3 years ITR or I have to be 21+ years old. Help me out.

Solution
Hi,

I want to apply for many credit cards, what can I apply for as I can see that many banks either require 3 years ITR or I have to be 21+ years old. Help me out.
The suggestion you may not be looking for. Don't get more than 1 card as of now. Stack up money, get hold of HNI account. Get HDFC Preferred, and you'll be eligible for Regalia if you're maintaining more than 3-4L MAB (savings acc balance). Use that one card properly and build the wealth. Get cards by age of 24-25. By then you'll have decent amount of wealth created already and you'll be eligible for cards you may not even think of now. This would create a good credit habit as well. Adding to...

ashwinpillai

TF Buzz
Why don't you open a bank account in any popular pvt sector banks and wait for a pre-approved offer !
I have 5 bank accounts which are ICICI, HDFC, RBL, Axis, and IndusInd since 2 years+

and ICICI I have since 4 years and have not received a single pre-approved offer my luck must just be terrible.

AsB

TF Ace
Yeah exactly
Isse acche hota if I had had 15+ years old account in HDFC instead of SBI ...

SBI is really a useless bank ...
I got pre-approved Credit Card through SBI Sprint, with a good limit. So, can't complain. Although, I have a relation with them for 10 years. And I got this offer recently.

SaiyamK

TF Select
Let me share my experience with you all.
I was very fond of credit cards from childhood and wanted one for myself always.
So as soon as turned 18, I asked my father to create an add on card for me. He applied for Citibank's Indian Oil Credit Card which had a limit of 63k at that time (He thought it was safe to not give me much limit!). I don't know why Citibank doesn't give my father good limits since he has a great portfolio of more than 15 cards with limits in 10L+.
I used that credit card for 3 years with timely payments to make a good CIBIL and then applied for HDFC Credit Card as soon as I turned 21 and it got approved! I hold a HDFC Account btw and been filing ITRs since two years.
Got a limit of mere 14K but It was my first credit card and I don't apply any credit card unless its unconditional LTF.
After usage of 7 months I got an offer for IndusInd Platinum Aura Edge LTF from BankBazaar and One Card at the same time and went for both. I got a limit of 20K on One Card and to my utter shock I got a limit of 125K on the IndusInd one! (I don't know how maybe they read my CIBIL wrong and matched with my Citibank's Limit of 123K which got enhanced recently and maybe they didn't read carefully that it was an add on card! Maybe I got lucky? Now time for me to create my CCs Portfolio by going Card to Card Applications in a year)
Also I would be turning 22 this November.

SaiyamK

TF Select
Congratulations

IDFC bank, Kotak bank gives good LTF cards

Now what's limit of your HDFC Cc?
Congratulations

So Citi add on card was actually reported to your Cibil?
Yup Citibank add on was reported on my Cibil as an Authorized User and rest my own credit cards are reported as Individual.
Also aren't add on cards reported in cibil?
Haven't got any Limit Enhancement offer from HDFC since 7 months.
IDFC rejected my application midway and asked me to apply after 3 months. There wasn't any hard enquiry on Cibil maybe I entered some details wrong.

Subhankar

TF Ace
TF Family
Chief Mod
Hi,

The suggestion you may not be looking for. Don't get more than 1 card as of now. Stack up money, get hold of HNI account. Get HDFC Preferred, and you'll be eligible for Regalia if you're maintaining more than 3-4L MAB (savings acc balance). Use that one card properly and build the wealth. Get cards by age of 24-25. By then you'll have decent amount of wealth created already and you'll be eligible for cards you may not even think of now. This would create a good credit habit as well. Adding to that, avoid BNPLs.

This is what I applied for myself. I didn't even get a credit card for myself before I hit 25 years of age. And now I'm eligible for most of the cards one can think of, certainly not for cards like Centurion, but in few years, surely :)

Solution

SaiyamK

TF Select
The suggestion you may not be looking for. Don't get more than 1 card as of now. Stack up money, get hold of HNI account. Get HDFC Preferred, and you'll be eligible for Regalia if you're maintaining more than 3-4L MAB (savings acc balance). Use that one card properly and build the wealth. Get cards by age of 24-25. By then you'll have decent amount of wealth created already and you'll be eligible for cards you may not even think of now. This would create a good credit habit as well. Adding to that, avoid BNPLs.

This is what I applied for myself. I didn't even get a credit card for myself before I hit 25 years of age. And now I'm eligible for most of the cards one can think of, certainly not for cards like Centurion, but in few years, surely :)
Any suggestions for me sir? You can refer my post above. I will really appreciate that. Update to that post is I also applied BOB Premier LTF and also got an invite for RBL Zomato and will apply when I turn 23. And any tips for Getting Limit Enhancement or Upgrade from HDFC (already have preferred account), haven't got any since past 6 months.