• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Do I need to pay this bill now?

ramandeep

TF Premier
I recently purchased tv on flipkart with icici credit card on 12 Jan and then canceled the ordered, bill was generated on 14 Jan and also received the refund today.

Do I need to pay the bill now as there is no current outstanding on the card?

Never got into such situation before but if current outstanding is zero then no need to worry. Your outstanding bill amount on 14th Jan got repaid by refund amount already.

Never got into such situation before but if current outstanding is zero then no need to worry. Your outstanding bill amount on 14th Jan got repaid by refund amount already.
got refund after the bill generation. That's why i am also confused. Do I have to pay or not, if not paying will it affect my CIBIL

I recently purchased tv on flipkart with icici credit card on 12 Jan and then canceled the ordered, bill was generated on 14 Jan and also received the refund today.

If no outstanding, then no need to pay. Pay only what is being shown in the statement of the Credit card.
Even if you paid extra, it will be adjusted in future statements

If no outstanding, then no need to pay. Pay only what is being shown in the statement of the Credit card.
Even if you paid extra, it will be adjusted in future statements
As i mentioned statement was generated before the refund, so current statement says 35k, which is big amount, I don't like paying this huge amount as I already got refund.

As i mentioned statement was generated before the refund, so current statement says 35k, which is big amount, I don't like paying this huge amount as I already got refund.
Ooooo.. then definitely pay this amount. Any refunds will be adjusted in the next month. You don't have a choice but to pay the amount.

Ooooo.. then definitely pay this amount. Any refunds will be adjusted in the next month. You don't have a choice but to pay the amount.
I don't think you need to pay anything coz according to New RBI guidelines refunds are considered as payment.

According to "Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022" point 10(e) - Any credit amount arising out of refund/failed/reversed transactions or similar transactions before the due date of payment for which payment has not been made by the cardholder, shall be immediately adjusted against the ‘payment due’ and notified to the cardholder.

I don't think you need to pay anything coz according to New RBI guidelines refunds are considered as payment.

According to "Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022" point 10(e) - Any credit amount arising out of refund/failed/reversed transactions or similar transactions before the due date of payment for which payment has not been made by the cardholder, shall be immediately adjusted against the ‘payment due’ and notified to the cardholder.
exactly
from the new RBI rules since July 1, banks are obliged to consider refunds as payments

Last edited:
I know that refunds will be considered as payments, but we are not sure if banks have started allowing that, by upgrading their system. Which is why, I wanted him to be on the safe side. I suggest that once the refund is credited, connext with ICICI via Chat or email (to get written record) and ask them if you need to pay the full amount or the difference.

I am in a similar situation with Amazon pay card.. the solution that they have provided is just pay minimum amount.. so no penal charges r levied.. & after due date just contact us. we would refund the excess in your bank a/c

I know that refunds will be considered as payments, but we are not sure if banks have started allowing that, by upgrading their system. Which is why, I wanted him to be on the safe side. I suggest that once the refund is credited, connext with ICICI via Chat or email (to get written record) and ask them if you need to pay the full amount or the difference.
the new rules are already live and if bank does not consider refunds as payments, they are at fault for not updating their systems. RBI will side with the customer if a complaint is raised.
happened with me in another case and i sent the entire new memo from RBI with relevant sections highlighted to the bank. the bank then had to listen to me and resolve my issue.

the new rules are already live and if bank does not consider refunds as payments, they are at fault for not updating their systems. RBI will side with the customer if a complaint is raised.
happened with me in another case and i sent the entire new memo from RBI with relevant sections highlighted to the bank. the bank then had to listen to me and resolve my issue.
If there was such an incident, then it is okay.

Buddy banks are not following the recent RBI guidelines. Just pay the full amount and once it is credited, ask for excess balance refund. They will transfer it to your bank account. Don’t take chances. They might report a late payment to CIBIL.

If there was such an incident, then it is okay.
Prior positive experience is good , otherwise, there is no guarantee when the problem will be solved, as the late payment will be reported to CIBIL (even though RBI said that there will be a grace period of 3 days after the due date) and so on. Banking in India has a lot of hidden rules and regulations.

Buddy banks are not following the recent RBI guidelines. Just pay the full amount and once it is credited, ask for excess balance refund. They will transfer it to your bank account. Don’t take chances. They might report a late payment to CIBIL.
Prior positive experience is good , otherwise, there is no guarantee when the problem will be solved, as the late payment will be reported to CIBIL (even though RBI said that there will be a grace period of 3 days after the due date) and so on. Banking in India has a lot of hidden rules and regulations.
i agree. in my case, the bank complied and i was lucky.
so to be on the safe side (and if the amount is not huge) just pay twice and next month when you have negative balance, just recharge some wallet for that amount if the card isn't used much.

Hi ,
I also had similar problem few months back and had conversation with SBI support they said pay the minimum due but i took my own thoughts and paid only extra amount which is extra after refund , i.e. - total outstanding 35,000 and refund was 30,000 so i paid 5001 and no charges on next month . So options are available choose wisely

Back