• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Do you use Cred? Why? Why not?

swiftlysingh

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Just wondering if people here use cred to analyse/pay their credit card and other bills?

I used to use cred to analyse my spends but recently removed access to my email for cred due to privacy concerns. I still use cred to pay my credit card bills because of fast settlement. But use HDFC smart pay for all my utility bills. I find Cred’s points very useless so I don’t stress about gaining more.

I am wanting to learn if people uses cred? If not then why and have you find any replacement for analysing your credit card spends?

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
I use Cred, but only and only to manage my cards, and to get reminders for bill payments. I use multiple bill payment reminders like Google Tasks (3 different reminders for each bill payment date), Excel Sheet as used by Sumanta Da, and my own site, that I created (work is going on). Even then, since Credit Card is well, Credit Card, I leave no chances.
However, I do not use it for bill payments, especially never use it when bills are above Rs 20,000/- .Reasons :-

• bots have replaced customer care. It's okay, but not when you need serious help with transactions
  • sometimes, the payments do not pass through, especially when the transaction values are high.
  • they do not have even proper email support. If your money is lost, you are done.
  • It is very very difficult to view transaction history.
I don't care about cashbacks on bill payments. I want an app, where I can manage my cards, pay my bills (safely) and live stress free when I have to manage 7 cards (more on the way).
Valid points
And my bill pay logic is simple
Less than 10k via paytm by dc
More than10k to 75k hdfc bill pay
Above 75k payment by creating beneficiaries in scb account since it’s my salary account

d3rvish

TF Select
For the privacy thing, Create a separate email and create a filter in your primary email.

Cred customer support themselves suggested this to me years ago - shortly after they launched, when they had actual humans doing CS and not bots.

Worked fine for me up to a few months ago when Cred stopped getting my Amex statement data. I don’t know how they used to display the amount due and date previously, because Amex has never sent statements on email as far as I know - merely sent you a notification that the statement is ready to be downloaded from their site.

And no, I have not given Cred access to text messages

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
There's more to privacy than just access to your emails, even though that is a big one. Even with this, they still have enough data to profile you with your ID, cards and spends info.
Convenience is a factor. To have some system to analyse all spends and give an overall summary across all cards and accounts. To give proper notifications about dues and charges.

Of course you can manually compute everything and create your own wealth analysis system. Lot easier if you only have one bank acc and credit card.
But it is a tedious process when you have multiple accounts.

But in the world we live in privacy is a myth. Tech giants have all the data they need to profile you. Google might know more about us than ourselves, so does apple 🫠.

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Cred customer support themselves suggested this to me years ago - shortly after they launched, when they had actual humans doing CS and not bots.

Worked fine for me up to a few months ago when Cred stopped getting my Amex statement data. I don’t know how they used to display the amount due and date previously, because Amex has never sent statements on email as far as I know - merely sent you a notification that the statement is ready to be downloaded from their site.

And no, I have not given Cred access to text messages
Bob has an API to get bill details of card with mobile number and last 4 digits. Saw this in HDFC bill pay where it fetches last bill amount.

Do Amex have anything similar?

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
can you explain this? what benefit do you get?
whenever high value bills like several lakhs its of huge financial loss if there's delay in credit by 3rd party apps and finally we incur a huge loss and cibil remarks.
So to avoid that if we go via beneficiary creation for cc and then payment by neft we will get transaction ref screenshot for the proof we paid on time and more or less neft will send a sms (SCB its like that) once its created to beneficiary so double proof.
other than RPs and CCs, peace of mind is more value to me at EOD

d3rvish

TF Select
Bob has an API to get bill details of card with mobile number and last 4 digits. Saw this in HDFC bill pay where it fetches last bill amount.

Do Amex have anything similar?
That might be how they did it. Don’t know why it stopped working. Maybe I need to forward the email notification I receive from Amex that says the statement has been generated to my statements email account (that Cred has access to0.

BlueFlash

TF Premier
For the privacy thing, Create a separate email and create a filter in your primary email.
The filter is to forward any mail coming from let's say cc.statements@axisbank.com
to your secondary mail. Add all bank statement ids to this filter, now everything is automated.

Now give Cred access to your secondary mail.

Don't give SMS permission

Email list

pnbcreditcard@pnb.co.in
Statements@sbicard.com
cc.statements@axisbank.com
credit_cards@icicibank.com
Emailstatements.cards@hdfcbank.net
ebill@bobfinancial.com
statement@idfcfirstbank.com
creditcard.estatements@indusind.com
fedmail@federalbank.co.in
cardstatement@kotak.com
estatement@sbmbank.co.in
estatement@yesbank.in
cardstatements@rblbank.com
Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 6.50.54 PM.png Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 6.51.34 PM.png
I am using the same approach since long back... however only issue is what if the banks change their sender email address for credit card bills; So far except ICICI/IndusInd (if I recall correctly) no has done, but in case they do, and we miss to update the email filters, then it's a possibility of missing the payment... Might have to come up with an extra backup plan...

d3rvish

TF Select
There’s also the issue of payments to Axis cards via Cred being consistently delayed. Usually takes 5-6 days for me. But I believe that might be an Axis problem more than a Cred one.