• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Does UPI-linked SBI SimplySAVE RuPay Credit Card charge a SURCHARGE when paying for diesel by scanning a QR code?

imrtbpsp

TF Select
Detailed post, please bear with me.

Recently, I faced an issue while buying diesel using my UPI-linked SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card.
I have two Rupay credit cards:
1. HDFC Business Moneyback RuPay credit card, which is one and a half years old.
2. SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card, which is just 15 days old.

In my experience, whenever I bought diesel using my UPI-linked HDFC Business Moneyback Rupay credit card (linked to Paytm in my case) by scanning the QR Code for payment, I never had to pay any surcharge. In the past, I have bought diesel worth ₹20,000 to ₹30,000 many times, and the amount I paid was always exactly what I was billed.
For Reference, on 28/08/24, I bought ₹22,000 worth of diesel using my UPI-linked HDFC Business Moneyback Rupay Credit Card, and I didn't have to pay any surcharge. I have attached the screenshot for reference.👇🏻
IMG_20240906_165658.webp
I had to pay a surcharge only once when I physically swiped my HDFC Rupay Credit Card to buy ₹2,967 worth of diesel. In that case, I was charged a surcharge of around ₹120-₹130, and I also received a ₹30-something surcharge waiver.

Let's come to the culprit SBI SimplySave Rupay Credit Card।
On the other hand, on 02/09/24, I used my UPI-linked SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card to buy ₹21,000 worth of diesel by scanning the QR Code. Initially, in the unbilled transaction history showed ₹21,000, but when the amount got settled, I was charged an extra ₹247.80, and my billing amount became ₹21,247.👇🏻
IMG_20240906_180510.webp

This has raised concerns for me because, as per my understanding (may be wrong), using a UPI-linked RuPay credit card (Paytm in my case) to scan and pay for fuel should not attract any surcharge.
Here are my questions:
1. Has SBI mistakenly charged me this extra amount, or do I need to pay the surcharge?
2. Has anyone else experienced this issue where they were charged a surcharge for using the SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card to scan and pay for fuel?
Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences!
@TechnoFino @VISHESH_BANSAL @SSV @Channakya @Vasuki @Abhishek012 @ashwink @deep@vie @pprakash11

In both cards doesn't offer surcharge waiver above 4k transaction. When qr created at that fuel station it was not categorised as fuel sector untill now. Now it was categorised so surcharge is applied. In hdfc, they still didn't identify yours transaction as fuel. That's why they didn't charge yet.

In card machine they categorised as fuel transaction. That's why you got surcharge when ever you swipe.

Soon or later, banks will identify each transaction category as exactly. At that time, the mode maybe qr pay or swipe, you will get surcharge.

Detailed post, please bear with me.

Recently, I faced an issue while buying diesel using my UPI-linked SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card.
I have two Rupay credit cards:
1. HDFC Business Moneyback RuPay credit card, which is one and a half years old.
2. SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card, which is just 15 days old.

In my experience, whenever I bought diesel using my UPI-linked HDFC Business Moneyback Rupay credit card (linked to Paytm in my case) by scanning the QR Code for payment, I never had to pay any surcharge. In the past, I have bought diesel worth ₹20,000 to ₹30,000 many times, and the amount I paid was always exactly what I was billed.
For Reference, on 28/08/24, I bought ₹22,000 worth of diesel using my UPI-linked HDFC Business Moneyback Rupay Credit Card, and I didn't have to pay any surcharge. I have attached the screenshot for reference.👇🏻
View attachment 67765
I had to pay a surcharge only once when I physically swiped my HDFC Rupay Credit Card to buy ₹2,967 worth of diesel. In that case, I was charged a surcharge of around ₹120-₹130, and I also received a ₹30-something surcharge waiver.

Let's come to the culprit SBI SimplySave Rupay Credit Card।
On the other hand, on 02/09/24, I used my UPI-linked SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card to buy ₹21,000 worth of diesel by scanning the QR Code. Initially, in the unbilled transaction history showed ₹21,000, but when the amount got settled, I was charged an extra ₹247.80, and my billing amount became ₹21,247.👇🏻
View attachment 67766

This has raised concerns for me because, as per my understanding (may be wrong), using a UPI-linked RuPay credit card (Paytm in my case) to scan and pay for fuel should not attract any surcharge.
Here are my questions:
1. Has SBI mistakenly charged me this extra amount, or do I need to pay the surcharge?
2. Has anyone else experienced this issue where they were charged a surcharge for using the SBI SimplySAVE RuPay credit card to scan and pay for fuel?
Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences!
@TechnoFino @VISHESH_BANSAL @SSV @Channakya @Vasuki @Abhishek012 @ashwink @deep@vie @pprakash11
Ofcourse you need to pay surcharge as you are paying it through credit card right... No matter what network is it (visa/rupay/amex/mastercard/diners) and also no matter what mode of payment it might be like cc using UPI or physically swiping the card on pos machines

Here I would like to ask you and many other community members that if we get so much cashback in the form of vouchers and rewards then why do we keep on getting our credit card LTF
But if bank is giving us back the surcharge in the form of surcharge wavier then no harm in paying using credit card

Don't know how to answer but for me in my case I use only ICICI credit card (Rubyx visa). Every time I swipe my card I get the entire surcharge back. Whatever has been deducted is getting back in the form of surcharge wavier. Only thing is there won't be reward points for fuel transactions

Don't know how to answer but for me in my case I use only ICICI credit card (Rubyx visa). Every time I swipe my card I get the entire surcharge back. Whatever has been deducted is getting back in the form of surcharge wavier. Only thing is there won't be reward points for fuel transactions
surcharge waiver is amount is fixed by bank according to cars varient. if you exceeds that amount no surcharge back to statement.

Only surcharge will be refunded not the gst part charged on it.

SBI Simplysave Rupay card and Paytm SBI Rupay card offers fuel surcharge waiver for fuel transactions between Rs500 and rs. 3000/-.
Maximum waiver per statement cycle is limited to rs. 100/-.
Any deviation to above is most likely a glitch/bug.

Last edited:
Back