• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Email Alias and segregation

Few days ago I came across a post that was few months old explaining how the email accounts were hacked and money was debited from credit card.
In today's digital word it so hard to keep a tab on the privacy and protect ourselves from data breach/leaks.

Email hold a very important place for Banking/financial/Cards transactions/communications and due to this it has become a number one target for hacks and leaks.

One way to avoid is to segregate emails for different purposes along with using alias.
One problem with using alias as similar to primaryEmail+alias@domain.com is in case you need to communicate with the organisation/person through your primaryEmail@domain.com and it could lead to validation problems.

I don't know if its a common knowledge or not but I saw someone having this doubt on one of the post, so I am going to make a thread on how to do it, so people who are not aware of it can utilize it.

This method is for Gmail
1. Login to Gmail
2. Click on top-Right corner "Gear Icon"
3. Click on "See all settings"
4. Click on "Accounts and Import"
5. Under "Send mail as:" >> Add another email address
6. A window pop up will open asking for name and Email address. Enter your Alias Email and keep "Treat as an alias" checked.
7. Click "Next Step"
8. Next time you compose a email, You can select your Primary email and Alias email to send the email from.

Now, you can your primary email with alias as necessary and in case you are in need to send email with an alias email to the platform/website's support/customer care, just select the alias email from drop down.

PS:
You can use services like Firefox Relay, which currently allows 3 alias creation, but the free version does not allow reply to messages received on alias email.

Attachments

• alias_2.png
    alias_2.png
    25 KB · Views: 27
  • alias_00.png
    alias_00.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 27

COSMOCRAT

TF Premier
Instead of keeping one email with multiple aliases, maintain few email ids for particular usecases. And use important email for signup of important services only.

For one off or random services use free service like TempMail.

Reactions: SSV

Winskrill

TF Buzz
Off-Topic
@lucifer I have used your AMEX referral link for MRCC Card. :)
The card arrived today.
Please inform me once you have received confirmation for the same.