• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Forex Card/ Credit card / Debit Card

Hey!
I recently opened an IndusInd Pioneer account and got their Visa Infinite Debit Card in the welcome kit.

As I see in the benefits, it says it has a 0% forex markup but only conversion fees will apply as per card network.

Should I use that card while travelling abroad or should I get a forex card/ a credit card (if yes, plz recommend)???

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hey!
I recently opened an IndusInd Pioneer account and got their Visa Infinite Debit Card in the welcome kit.

As I see in the benefits, it says it has a 0% forex markup but only conversion fees will apply as per card network.

Should I use that card while travelling abroad or should I get a forex card/ a credit card (if yes, plz recommend)???
@vijay.vj

Get indusind exclusive visa & mc dc for cc bill payment

Hey!

This is the best card dc works well don't go for forex card

vijay.vj

TF Ace
Hey!

Its preferred to have multiple options in cards when you go abroad. Indus Premium signature cards provide 0% forex which is great.
But if you dont want to spend from bank accounts, then look for 0 forex CC or any premium cards which provide positive reward rate even with forex charges.

Rajatkumar1

TF Buzz
Network rates often carry up to a 1% markup over the interbank/mid-market rate. Go for an interbank-linked forex card instead!

Rajatkumar1

TF Buzz
Break it down for me, I didn’t understand anything
Credit card companies are launching zero forex markup cards and misleading us by hiding the true cost as there is still a markup being charged. For any travel card to genuinely offer zero markup, it must be zero markup on mid-market rates, whereas credit/debit cards provide network rates, which carry up to a 1% premium over mid-market rates.

Check out this link, https://www.visa.co.in/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html and you'll get my point about how these credit card companies, using network/Visa rates, aren't even close to real-time rates. A week ago, when I checked the EUR to INR rates, the mid-market rate was 89.46, but the network rate when calculated through the above link came to around 90.11, which is about a 0.65% markup. This is problematic since this markup is concealed, and due to a lack of awareness, people are misled.

Sneha13

TF Buzz
I agree, BookMyForex forex card is quite good. I have been using it for the past 3 years and have never faced any issues while using it abroad. It takes me a few seconds to top up my card while traveling with their mobile app. The top-up is instant, and the forex card comes with zero markup interbank rates. You can expect it to be delivered on the same day.