• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Getting a PNB Credit Card without ITR (the hard way)

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Want to share my experience of getting a PNB credit card after months of delays, thanks to bank's incompetence and not accepting their fault. Also, want to show that banks cannot have everything their way if you can prove them wrong.

Before people jump to the conclusion that why can't I simply provide the ITR, I was in college for the past 2 years and therefore I did not file an ITR.

Dec-22: Filed for PNB Rupay Select online and completed VKYC after 2 days

Feb-23: VKYC approved and bank asked for ITR. I told bank that it is nowhere mentioned but they said it is mandatory as per RBI guidelines. Filed a complaint with RBI Ombudsman but rejected under Clause 16.

Mar-23: Filed RTI against both RBI and PNB. Asked RBI whether ITR is mandatory as per what PNB bank officials mentioned. Same day, filed RTI against PNB asking for their internal policy document regarding CC eligibility and if ITR is mandatory why is it not updated on their site.

Apr-23: Received reply through RTI by RBI that they haven't advised anything of that sort to PNB and got a reply from PNB that ITR is mandatory and they will update it on the website shortly. Mailed the MD desk attaching copies of both RTI asking why the information has not been updated and that banks need to be transparent regarding the eligibility criteria.

May-23: Received a call from the bank that they apologise for it and will update the site ASAP. I asked them to remove the CIBIL hit as bank had not disclosed this clearly while applying. Executive on the call asked me to share salary slips, bank statement, offer letter and company ID card. Got approval after 2 days.

Feel free to ask for the copy of RTI filed. 🙂

Last edited:

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
From md desk "
Requirement of income proof documents is different for various categories of customers. KIndly submit following documents for processing of application:

ITR duly acknowledged by Income Tax Deptt. for assessment year 2022-23 (FY 2021-22) is required."

If you have the screenshot of the old version, share that with them.

**Realised that they have now updated the criteria on their website post that call with PNB 🙄

Last edited:

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Yes, i have and I shared it on mail as you suggested.
Danda do PNB ko. Bold karke likho bhi RBI regulations ke according clearly mention karna hota hai eligibility criteria. Us time pe nhi tha. Ab ya toh CIBIL hatvao ya process kar do. Aur callback ke liye bhi likhna.

Else, RBI BO Route try karo. Nhi toh June me Form 16 aa hi jayega agar kuch nhi hua tab tak toh.

maverick

TF Premier
Danda do PNB ko. Bold karke likho bhi RBI regulations ke according clearly mention karna hota hai eligibility criteria. Us time pe nhi tha. Ab ya toh CIBIL hatvao ya process kar do. Aur callback ke liye bhi likhna.

Else, RBI BO Route try karo. Nhi toh June me Form 16 aa hi jayega agar kuch nhi hua tab tak toh.
I wrote another mail, "
Yes, you are correct, income docs requirement is different for different customer, but can you please identify where is my fault as I applied by reading terms and conditions written on cc application page for income docs requirements on that time which you have recently updated(screenshot attached)
So here you are applying rules retrospectively.
I am again requesting you to please consider my application as per terms and conditions (for income docs) mentioned on cc application page on that time when I applied

maverick

TF Premier

Rbi ombudsman already rejected my complaint

AsB

TF Ace
Seems like banks are catching up to the fact that RBI acts only as a messanger in transferring comments from us to the bank and vice versa.

skywalker

TF Select
@Walter White if I apply for the PNB RuPay Select card in July, will they ask for the ITR that I will now be filing for FY 2022-23, or would they ask for FY 2021-22 ITR? Because I did not file it last year, but I’ll be filing it this year, Form 16 aane ke baad.

WandereR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I just got an update on my application. They replied
Please provide ITR for AY 2022-23 with acknowledgement form.
If annual income is less than 5 lakh then provide form 16 AY 2022-23
I had already submitted 3-month salary slip and 6-month back statement. And in the application process, it was either ITR or the other two. What should I do?

V360

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I just got an update on my application. They replied

I had already submitted 3-month salary slip and 6-month back statement. And in the application process, it was either ITR or the other two. What should I do?
If you are salaried, ITR should be available for download on Income Tax website.