• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Govt T bills

What's the advantage of Tbill over say liquid funds that give similar returns? Both come under slab rate for taxation. Tbill is Sovereign guaranteed, but so are some liquid funds that invest mostly in govt tbills.

Personally, I find ease of investing in liquid funds better.
btw wondering the same, can you sell tbill like stocks or u are stuck with them until expiry ?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
True but I hold to maturity for 91d tbills
91 days is a lot of time. Liquid money should give you the option to cash out immediately. I invest a good chunk in tbills, but it's pretty much the put-it-there-and-forget-it kind of money. It gets credited into my account in 91/182/362 days and I will just repeat the cycle. I also put a good portion in liquid funds so that I can cash it out immediately when I find a good-looking deal in any of the asset classes. Besides, I hardly see any volume(in INR) so there is a weakness on the buy-side in tbills, so anything over a few Ls, you'd need to sell it at a price that would give a higher yield to a buyer. At one instance I picked up a big quantity(182d) at a ₹4.7 discount to coupon(~12% *annualised yield) from some poor sucker during the earlier days when the liquidity was negligible. The person needed to offload a huge quantity and was not finding any buyers for several days. And in the end, they conceded and sold it off at a reasonable loss. XD
Was the same story with SGBs too, until it was popularised. I miss those days when SGBs were trading at even a 10-15% discount to the spot price. Now it's selling at premiums!

iamdhamo

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
91 days is a lot of time. Liquid money should give you the option to cash out immediately. I invest a good chunk in tbills, but it's pretty much the put-it-there-and-forget-it kind of money. It gets credited into my account in 91/182/362 days and I will just repeat the cycle. I also put a good portion in liquid funds so that I can cash it out immediately when I find a good-looking deal in any of the asset classes. Besides, I hardly see any volume(in INR) so there is a weakness on the buy-side in tbills, so anything over a few Ls, you'd need to sell it at a price that would give a higher yield to a buyer. At one instance I picked up a big quantity(182d) at a ₹4.7 discount to coupon(~12% *annualised yield) from some poor sucker during the earlier days when the liquidity was negligible. The person needed to offload a huge quantity and was not finding any buyers for several days. And in the end, they conceded and sold it off at a reasonable loss. XD
Was the same story with SGBs too, until it was popularised. I miss those days when SGBs were trading at even a 10-15% discount to the spot price. Now it's selling at premiums!
True bro I also noticed the same. I m checking Listed bonds to buy at discounted price.
Since liquidity is more can buy them at discounted price

TheGuy

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
my guess is u can also sell them a higher rates too ?
sure you can but why will i buy?
i can get it from RBI come thursday.
i can get liquid fund.

you can sell at higher price, just like stocks. But here no one should buy because there is constant new supply.