• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Has anyone actually redeemed MR points earned through the Platinum Travel card on the Gold Collection?

pleasegiveltf

TF Select
I hold a MRCC card which is good for spends up to 20k. I'm planning on getting the Platinum Travel card, aiming mainly to redeem the MR points against the gold collection, since the value of MR points otherwise is too low (and I don't travel so I'd prefer Amazon GVs).

My question is whether or not I can redeem MR points earned through Platinum Travel against the gold collection as the Mr points will get credited into a common pool.

The technofino review for Amex Platinum Travel says we can do that, while I just saw a comment that someone was unable to do this! The customer care rep also mentioned that I cannot redeem Platinum Travel MR points against the gold collection.

Has anyone actually redeemed MR points from other cards against the gold collection?

shutapdiya

TF Ace
Contributor
I upgraded my MRCC card to Platinum Travel few months back and now all the Gold collection vouchers seem to be gone. I was under the assumption that we get 2:1 value for Vistara points but it's 3:1. Gold collection is better than Vistara as it's providing 24:9 (37.4% value back vs 33% value back on Vistara) value for Amazon vouchers.

Any way I can use the gold collection on my Platinum Travel? Or is there any way I can downgrade my Plat travel to MRCC card?
you can try below methods if gold collection redemption is only thing you want

1. Simplest route: try asking Amex to downgrade Plat. travel to MRCC in that case you should be able to redeem gold collection

2. Long route: If Amex denies to downgrade, apply and get new MRCC or Gold Charge
a. If points on new card and plat. travel are pooled together you should be able to redeem for gold collection
b. If points are not pooled try closing plat. travel and ask Amex to transfer your points from Plat. travel to new card, then you should be able to redeem gold collection

All above scenarios are just my guess it may or may not work same way i am thinking it to work

abhiver

TF Premier
you can try below methods if gold collection redemption is only thing you want

1. Simplest route: try asking Amex to downgrade Plat. travel to MRCC in that case you should be able to redeem gold collection

2. Long route: If Amex denies to downgrade, apply and get new MRCC or Gold Charge
a. If points on new card and plat. travel are pooled together you should be able to redeem for gold collection
b. If points are not pooled try closing plat. travel and ask Amex to transfer your points from Plat. travel to new card, then you should be able to redeem gold collection

All above scenarios are just my guess it may or may not work same way i am thinking it to work
AMEX CCare told me today that they cannot transfer Plat Travel points to MRCC , however they can Transfer MRCC points to Plat Travel.

It seems they have realized the value of their 18/24 karat gold reward :D

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
AMEX CCare told me today that they cannot transfer Plat Travel points to MRCC , however they can Transfer MRCC points to Plat Travel.

It seems they have realized the value of their 18/24 karat gold reward :D
Actually I added newly mrcc to plantium and redeemed amazon pay 24k gold collection worst of 63k amazon pay and called amex then cause mrcc transaction kept on declined and amex added to gold and MRCC.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
I didn't get that, you first redeemed your MRCC points and then got platinum travel card.
"my dad is holding platinum travel from 9 years, earlier they used to allow two usernames. In my case, he had two usernames—one linked to Platinum Travel and the other to Gold. These usernames had different login IDs. Recently, I applied for and was approved for the MRCC card. I attempted to add it to Platinum Travel, but the transactions were declining, possibly because it was designed to be added to MRCC and removed from Platinum Travel. Unfortunately, I couldn't remove it as it kept throwing an error. I called Amex to resolve this, and they linked the MRCC with the Gold username instead, as it wasn't working when linked with Platinum Travel

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Okay, so you got new MRCC and asked amex to add it to your Plat travel account and remove the plat travel , basically you transferred your Plat travel MR points into MRCC.
i redeemed for 9k x 7 = 63k amazon reward so 1,68,000 MR point were redeemed.

abhiver

TF Premier
Well in my case when I added my MRCC card to the Platinum card, the MR points are showing separately. Requested amex to merge into one pool but they denied stating that this facility is not available

sousnake

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
i redeemed for 9k x 7 = 63k amazon reward so 1,68,000 MR point were redeemed.

I think you should always redeem for 18k because of better value.
LCM of 18 & 24 is 72.
If you have 72k points you would have got 28k apay on 18 collection rather than 27k on 24 collection
Definitely you had more.

S D S

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
My head is spinning with this complex Amex! I am planning to apply for an Amex card, mostly platinum travel, this week and after going through the threads on the reward points, am thoroughly confused. I would like to use them for Marriott(read somewhere the taj vouchers have to be redeemed at full price, not discounted room rates). Please advise on whether I should take travel, or travel plus one more card. I hold magnus Burgundy and infinia already.

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
My head is spinning with this complex Amex! I am planning to apply for an Amex card, mostly platinum travel, this week and after going through the threads on the reward points, am thoroughly confused. I would like to use them for Marriott(read somewhere the taj vouchers have to be redeemed at full price, not discounted room rates). Please advise on whether I should take travel, or travel plus one more card. I hold magnus Burgundy and infinia already.

Most people get confused where to redeem their points but you've full clarity that you're getting it for Marriott so that's a great step.

With Amex Platinum Travel card, you get 40,000 MR Points + ₹10,000 Taj voucher on completing 4L annual expenses.
That's a must have if you're looking for the highest rewards.

But what if your annual expenses are more than 4L?

That's when you would need additional cards, some people here hold Amex Trifecta(Plat Travel + Gold + MRCC).

Do you have 6K-20K worth of expenses left?

Then add an MRCC card to your portfolio.
With that, you get 2K MR Points on 20K expenses every month so that's additional 24K MR Points you will get every year.

Then if you still have more expenses left or buy too many vouchers?

That's where the Gold Charge card comes into play, that offers 5X reward rate on all voucher purchases and 1K MR points on 6K monthly spends.

Depending on how much you're spending every month, you can get the first, first two or all three cards. :)

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Absolutely no benefit of Amex as you are already holding Infinia and Magnus. The reward rate on Infinia is way way higher. Like 10x higher on vouchers and 20x higher on hotels.