• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Bank Credit Cards Huge Devaluation Effective From 1st August 2024 | Extra Fees On Utility, Education Payments

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
A few months ago, Yes Bank, IDFC First Bank, and several other banks started charging extra fees on utility, education, and a few other category payments. Recently, HDFC Bank has also joined this trend. Now, HDFC Bank customers need to pay additional service fees for making payments for utilities, education, and similar categories using HDFC Bank credit cards. Let's learn more about the applicable fees.

Rent Pay Transactions: 1% fee on transaction amount will be levied on rental transactions done on any applicable merchant for the month.
Fee capped at Rs 3000 per transaction.

Utility Transactions: 1% fee will be levied on utility transactions exceeding Rs 50,000 for consumer cards and Rs.75,000 for business cards in a month Fee will be applied on the total transacted amount.

Education Transactions: 1% fee will be levied on Education transactions done through third party applications like (but not limited to) CRED, PhonePe, No-broker, Cheq etc.
Education transactions done directly through college / school websites or through POS machines at their premises will not be charged. International Education transactions will not be charged.

Rewards Redemption Fee: ₹99 Per redemption request - Applicable for all cards other than Infinia/ Infinia (Metal Edition)/ Diners Black Metal Edition/ Diners Black Card/ BizBlack Metal Card/ H.O.G Diners Club Credit Card. Rewards Redemption Fee will not be charged on redemption of reward points towards cashback.

Cashback Redemption Charges: ₹50 per cashback redemption (Excluding Infinia , Infinia (Metal Edition), Diners Black, Diners Black (Metal Edition), Biz Black, Biz Black (Metal Edition), Tata Neu Infinity, Tata Neu Plus, Swiggy , Flipkart Wholesale ,Marriot Bonvoy, IndiGo 6E Rewards, IndiGo 6E Rewards XL , Intermiles)

The above service fees apply to all HDFC Bank credit cards. As you may already know, HDFC Bank has a fair use policy for all their credit cards, which means they have set a limit on the maximum rewards you can earn per statement cycle. For example, with the HDFC Bank Infinia Credit Card, you can earn a maximum of 2 lakhs, and with the Diners Black Card, 75K. I believe this is an effective way to prevent credit card misuse by business spenders. HDFC Bank has demonstrated to the industry that it is possible to curb misuse without devaluing the entire product. By capping the maximum rewards you can earn in a statement cycle and charging extra fees on low-margin categories like utility and education after certain spending limits are reached, they have struck a balance.

I think this devaluation will not affect majority of HDFC Bank credit card users, as the spending limits for each category are decent enough for a normal person. I believe other banks should follow this approach and implement fair use policies rather than devaluing the entire product.

Source Attached: HDFC Bank Credit Card MITC (25th June, 2024)

Attachments

I have paid my daughter education fee on school website which was HDFC portal. The OTP was for same amount but later the amount settled it was charged 1%+(18% GST)
Has the school portal mentioned any gateway charges? Check that once. Sometimes gateway charges are charged later on.

If there are no gateway charges mentioned, then you can raise a complaint with HDFC saying that it was direct education payment and 1% should not be charged as per T&Cs

Has the school portal mentioned any gateway charges? Check that once. Sometimes gateway charges are charged later on.

If there are no gateway charges mentioned, then you can raise a complaint with HDFC saying that it was direct education payment and 1% should not be charged as per T&Cs
there was no charge mentioned. I just paid the fee in school. I raised complaint to HDFC, first they denied but after send me dispute form on my email and said that send the receipt and talk to school. but it is only 171/- so I thought let it go

On 31st August 2024, I conducted two transactions, amounting to ₹50,498 + ₹50,498 . According to the reward rate of 5 points per ₹150 spent, I calculated that I should receive a total of 3,366 reward points for these transactions. However, I only received 2,000 reward points on 3rd September 2024.

I am aware of the new policy implemented from 1st September 2024, which imposes a cap of 2,000 reward points for transactions related to Telecom and Cable MCCs. However, since my transactions were made on 31st August 2024, they should not be subject to this cap, and I believe I should receive the full 3,366 reward points.

sent email to HDFC CC

On 31st August 2024, I conducted two transactions, amounting to ₹50,498 + ₹50,498 . According to the reward rate of 5 points per ₹150 spent, I calculated that I should receive a total of 3,366 reward points for these transactions. However, I only received 2,000 reward points on 3rd September 2024.

I am aware of the new policy implemented from 1st September 2024, which imposes a cap of 2,000 reward points for transactions related to Telecom and Cable MCCs. However, since my transactions were made on 31st August 2024, they should not be subject to this cap, and I believe I should receive the full 3,366 reward points.

sent email to HDFC CC
Settlement date matters in all such cases. If it is Infinia customer care and ur first such complaint, they will do a one time exception and credit manually.

sent email to HDFC CC
I think they would consider the settlement date for awarding rewards points. 31st transaction would've settled on 2nd Sept and that could be the reason.

sent email to HDFC CC
HDFC uses settlement date in some cases for reward points capping (for example - Smartbuy txns). Maybe same is happening here

Guys who

sent email to HDFC CC
Isnt the effective date of devaluation 1 Aug 2024 as mentioned by the OP?

Or did this Telecom and Cable devaluation happen later?

Many schools use Qfix, Jodo, Grayquest for fee payment and send a link to pay on email. Would these be considered 3rd party apps by HDFC with charges levied and no reward points given OR would be given regular reward points without charges?

Many schools use Qfix, Jodo, Grayquest for fee payment and send a link to pay on email. Would these be considered 3rd party apps by HDFC with charges levied and no reward points given OR would be given regular reward points without charges?
I don't think that it will be treated as third party but even if you get charged you could always complain and reverse the charges by showing admission proofs.

I don't think that it will be treated as third party but even if you get charged you could always complain and reverse the charges by showing admission proofs.
Getting points is another challenge! But if people pay via cred and show admission proof/fee payment invoice, would HDFC still reverse? How would they know the mode of payment?

Getting points is another challenge! But if people pay via cred and show admission proof/fee payment invoice, would HDFC still reverse? How would they know the mode of payment?
Right, anyone has practical experience as to how HDFC is treating these payments which are done directly on school's website using these solutions?

Back