• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Classic Account

DarthYoda

TF Premier
Hello members, I'm going to open an account in HDFC but by reading some articles i came to know about classic variant, so i have some questions regarding the same.
1 - Initial Funding is 1lac or it's based on branch?
2 - Should i open regular a/c first then maintain 1lac for auto upgrade?
3 - I'm not going to maintain 1lac continously but i can maintain for some months occasionally in one financial year. What's the probability of downgrade?
4 - On paper millennia is better debit card for me, so can i cancel platinum or both are free?
5 - Suppose my account gets downgraded, the debit card issuance and amc will get deducted just after downgrade or from next year?
6 - Should i open online or offline?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello members, I'm going to open an account in HDFC but by reading some articles i came to know about classic variant, so i have some questions regarding the same.
1 - Initial Funding is 1lac or it's based on branch?
Need to maintain 1L & then it can be either upgraded after pre-approved offer or by filling form, as it can't be opened directly like other savings account
2 - Should i open regular a/c first then maintain 1lac for auto upgrade?
Open Savings Max & then Maintain 1L
3 - I'm not going to maintain 1lac continously but i can maintain for some months occasionally in one financial year. What's the probability of downgrade?
Won't degrade easily & if they want to downgrade, you'll receive mail alerts for 3...
Hello,

I already have a HDFC Savings Max account for which I was never charged for my EasyShop Platinum Debit Card, i.e. it is LTF.

I got an email for free upgrade to CLASSIC programme and applied for it today. Does anyone know if:
1. Will I be charged annual fees for my existing EasyShop Platinum debit card if I don't want to get the CLASSIC Platinum debit card? (Till now my Platinum debit card is Lifetime-free as I have Savings Max.)

2. Do they automatically send you the CLASSIC debit card and block the existing one after you upgrade to CLASSIC? Or do they need explicit consent from the customer for the upgrade?

Both customer care and branch employees can't answer these questions. So, I would appreciate it if anybody can answer these questions.

Hello,

I already have a HDFC Savings Max account for which I was never charged for my EasyShop Platinum Debit Card, i.e. it is LTF.

I got an email for free upgrade to CLASSIC programme and applied for it today. Does anyone know if:
1. Will I be charged annual fees for my existing EasyShop Platinum debit card if I don't want to get the CLASSIC Platinum debit card? (Till now my Platinum debit card is Lifetime-free as I have Savings Max.)
No

2. Do they automatically send you the CLASSIC debit card and block the existing one after you upgrade to CLASSIC? Or do they need explicit consent from the customer for the upgrade?

Both customer care and branch employees can't answer these questions. So, I would appreciate it if anybody can answer these questions.

Explicit consent. But there is really no benefit other than having classic written on debit card. I suggest continue using existing LTF debit card.

To clear the air of confusion, Prime, Vishesh, Classic, Preferred and Imperia are Premier Banking Programmes from HDFC. These programmes apply over and above the existing relationship you have with HDFC ie. Regular, Savings Max, etc accounts you have with HDFC.

For example, if you currently hold a Savings Max account with HDFC and you're invited to Classic Banking Program, it is over and above[/B] your Savings Max Account, ie. all the benefits of Savings Max plus benefits of Classic Banking Program.

Let's assume that you got a Paid Millenia Debit Card with the lower variant account and now you're upgraded to Classic Banking Program, then you won't get fee reversal for the fees you already paid, but in the future, you won't be charged any annual fees for the same. Also, if you have a Free Easyshop Platinum Debit Card with your account and get upgraded to Classic Banking, you'll continue to have that same card as LTF and an additional perk is, you can order a new Easyshop Platinum Debit Card with "Classic" written over it for free which will replace your current debit card.

Hope this helps.
Hello,

Last edited:
To clear the air of confusion, Prime, Vishesh, Classic, Preferred and Imperia are Premier Banking Programmes from HDFC. These programmes apply over and above the existing relationship you have with HDFC ie. Regular, Savings Max, etc accounts you have with HDFC.
Hi @shrewdoc,

Thanks for a detailed answer! That's what I noticed too when my account was converted to Classic today. And I noticed in the PDF account statement that the product code is still the same (193, that is, Savings Max), and now it shows "Classic on Phone" besides my account number. Earlier, it used to show "Other" there instead.

But, regardless, I believe my Platinum debit card would continue to be free, as the high-net worth accounts I saw (Classic, Preferred, etc.) come with the same EasyShop Platinum Debit cards but with their respective brandings instead.

However, I'm worried that HDFC might block my card automatically and send a new one with the Classic branding instead, even if they have mentioned in their T&Cs that they require explicit consent from the customer. Because I read numerous reports wherein HDFC blocked debit cards all of a sudden without any intimation and sent them a new one.

.... my account was converted to Classic today. And I noticed in the PDF account statement that the product code is still the same (193, that is, Savings Max), and now it shows "Classic on Phone" besides my account number.

It is Savings Max for my Imperia too!

However, I'm worried that HDFC might block my card automatically and send a new one with the Classic branding instead, even if they have mentioned in their T&Cs that they require explicit consent from the customer. Because I read numerous reports wherein HDFC blocked debit cards all of a sudden without any intimation and sent them a new one.

They may not send you a replacement card on their own if your existing card is already a Platinum. You may need to ask for an "upgrade" to a Classic Platinum DC yourself if you want to.

Also, AFAIK, HDFC blocks existing debit cards only on activation of a new DC. In 10 years, I have never experienced a blocked DC before I started using the corresponding replacement card.

Hello,

I got enrolled into the classic program. I have platinum easy shop through my savingsmax account. Since both platinum cards are the same, I don't intend to take the classic platinum as it is the same.

They do not automatically send you a classic platinum. You must place a request. I asked a branch representative.

I got enrolled into the classic program. I have platinum easy shop through my savingsmax account. Since both platinum cards are the same, I don't intend to take the classic platinum as it is the same.

They do not automatically send you a classic platinum. You must place a request. I asked a branch representative.
Thanks for answering. I got successfully enrolled to Classic 2 days ago.

Can you please check your HDFC Bank account's PDF statement, and see what it shows just besides your account number? In my case, it says "Classic on phone". I'm not sure why they added "On phone" to it. Earlier it used to show just "Prime", and before that it used to show "Other" there.

Thanks for answering. I got successfully enrolled to Classic 2 days ago.

Can you please check your HDFC Bank account's PDF statement, and see what it shows just besides your account number? In my case, it says "Classic on phone". I'm not sure why they added "On phone" to it. Earlier it used to show just "Prime", and before that it used to show "Other" there.
I saw it too. I will ask customer service and learn about it.

What happens if I don't maintain 1L balance after convertion to clasic from savings Max.

Will my account converted back to savings Max or any other

In most cases, hdfc doesn't downgrade customers, but if does it will be the acc you originally hold, in your case savings max.
Now in savings Max account i am required to maintain ₹25000 after classic upgrade I was thinking what will happen if i maintain balance say ₹5000 only or ₹10000 only. Which will be lesser than existing savings Max account requirement .

Will there be any fines or charges?

Question to all people here who upgraded to classic account from savings Max(25MAB) or savings(10K MAB)
- How long did it take before you got the invite upgrade?
- is it a sequential upgrade, can one get invite to classic from savings 10K mab account?

Question to all people here who upgraded to classic account from savings Max(25MAB) or savings(10K MAB)
- How long did it take before you got the invite upgrade?
- is it a sequential upgrade, can one get invite to classic from savings 10K mab account?
Invite takes a lot of time. Directly visit branch and ask RM to send consent link via SMS, it will be done within 24hrs.
Yes you can upgrade to classic on 10k mab acc. Classic isn't an account. It's a banking programme that covers the account. Acc varient does't matter for this purpose.

Invite takes a lot of time. Directly visit branch and ask RM to send consent link via SMS, it will be done within 24hrs.
Yes you can upgrade to classic on 10k mab acc. Classic isn't an account. It's a banking programme that covers the account. Acc varient does't matter for this purpose.
On 10K mab acc platinum card charges are payable even after classic upgrade right?

Back