• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help!!! Credit card dispute

EINSTEIN

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My friend bought a pair of shoes from a foreign company and asked me to pay for it as he did not have any card. So I paid for that and he gave me cash. It turns out that the website was a complete scam and the company does not even sell in India.
Transaction was done on 29th Jan using Magnus
I raised a dispute on 30th, was told will get temporary credit in one day, not received till now.
What to do?? Should I contact my branch?
The payment was done through PayPal, I have turned off international transactions for the card.
What are the chances of receiving back money??

If u Reach bank within 24 hours then Bank will give all money after investigation..

After 24 hours refund may b between 40 to 60 %

If u reach out bank after 7 days then no refund

Happened with me..and Filled Dispute And Got all money..

My friend bought a pair of shoes from a foreign company and asked me to pay for it as he did not have any card. So I paid for that and he gave me cash. It turns out that the website was a complete scam and the company does not even sell in India.
I raised a dispute on 30th, was told will get temporary credit in one day, not received till now.
The payment was done through PayPal, I have turned off international transactions for the card.
You will get TEMP credit in 24-48 hours for sure after certain checks

For the credit it is possibly in your account, however it is not usable until the dispute is settled.
This is done so it doesn't get billed to you while it's being investigated.

If you used PayPal, then dispute it with them as it is easier. But it must be a payment rather a transfer to friends/family.

In case that fails, file chargeback with Axis. They follow Visa chargeback guidelines.

They have different requirements and procedure depending on the type of purchase and merchant category.

In the case of online shopping you'll have like X days after the final delivery estimate date. You might have to present documents proving that you tried to raise up the issue to the merchant.

For airlines, services and others it follows the date in which the service is to be given.

I can not longer find the Visa chargeback guide, but here's the one for mastercard which is very similar:

For your case would be page 221: Goods or services not delivered

All the info is on those pages on the process the bank/MasterCard follow.

Between 5 and 120 calendar days from the transaction settlement date or the date the goods or services were to be provided. One of the following conditions must be met before processing the chargeback:
• When the date the goods or services were to be provided as agreed upon by the merchant and the cardholder has passed
• When a specific delivery date is not provided, the issuer must wait 30 calendar days from the transaction settlement date.
• When the determination has been made that the merchant will not provide the goods or services because, for example, the merchant is no longer in business.
• When the cardholder canceled the order for goods or services, the goods or services were not provided, and the cardholder did not receive a credit. After 120 calendar days from the transaction settlement date or the date the goods or services were to be provided, the issuer may file a precompliance, followed by a compliance case (when applicable), when a system limitation prevents a valid chargeback.

Last edited:
It was a direct payment to the merchant but I am not able to contact PayPal as the payment was done without creating an account. If I try to contact them it says that no transactions found. I only have an email from them as proof. Please suggest a method to contact them.

Also the merchant has no way to contact them not even an email address.

It was a direct payment to the merchant but I am not able to contact PayPal as the payment was done without creating an account. If I try to contact them it says that no transactions found. I only have an email from them as proof. Please suggest a method to contact them.

Also the merchant has no way to contact them not even an email address.
The paypal receipt should clearly state a transaction and invoice ID, also the seller name and email ID should be there too. Even the email receipt should have a link somewhere that will take you to the online invoice.

I feel like you might have been phished into a fake website or something else.

In any case, you can still take it directly to the bank. They'll guide you on what to do including whether if you should try to settle it with the seller first and if needed any forms or procedures you need to follow to raise the chargeback.

Take in consideration that raising an invalid chargeback as in the merchant actually shipped the item to you or maybe you changed your mind about it and just wanted your money back *might* make the bank actually slap you with the administrative fees of the chargeback processing. I'm unaware of it as I've never experienced it.

I once filed a chargeback for a product not delivered by Indian company and axis gave me the credit after 60 days. I had to present the proofs and Ofcouse the seller also stated that he has asked the bank to reverse the charge , one week after filing chargeback. But axis still took full 60 days as per their protocol to reverse the transaction. Temporary credit was provided 7 days after filing dispute.

Back