• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help with Platinum Travel Card

Cierdo

TF Select
Hi Community

I have just received my first Amex card, Amex Platinum Travel card. Its not FYF, I need to pay 3500/- + GST as the fees. Though I will be getting points in lieu of that, I am finding it difficult to use the card anywhere.
I had thought of moving my POS spends from Infinia to Amex PT, but I was being over optimistic as no vendor has accepted my PT till now, without asking for 3% extra fee for using Amex, and I have ended up using my Infinia everytime.
I would like to know if its worth the hassle to keep this card or should I prematurely mail Amex to close this card as I dont see a point of using this card when I cannot use it at most places.
Extra Info: Amex was generous enough with a 7 figure CL, so please tell me what happens if I close the card as well.
Please advise!

Hi Community

I have just received my first Amex card, Amex Platinum Travel card. Its not FYF, I need to pay 3500/- + GST as the fees. Though I will be getting points in lieu of that, I am finding it difficult to use the card anywhere.
I had thought of moving my POS spends from Infinia to Amex PT, but I was being over optimistic as no vendor has accepted my PT till now, without asking for 3% extra fee for using Amex, and I have ended up using my Infinia everytime.
I would like to know if its worth the hassle to keep this card or should I prematurely mail Amex to close this card as I dont see a point of using this card when I cannot use it at most places.
Extra Info: Amex was generous enough with a 7 figure CL, so please tell me what happens if I close the card as well.
Please advise!
The most optimal use of amex cards is via gyftr portal which gives 3X MR points for Plat Travel Cards. Other than that, many online stores and Travel & Hospitality industry accepts Amex card.

Hi Community

Please advise!
Offline use of this card can give one hard time especially for non-metro people. It's good for online purchases mostly.

Weigh your use preference and decide.

I keep Amex cause most of my spends are online and majority of online retailers accept Amex. The customer support is good or atleast they listen and respond immediately and Amex is the only one who gave me a decent limit and a good card😅

I am also considering to apply for amex platinum travel. My objective will be to reach the 4L milestone and earn the 40K bonus MR and stop there.
Primary use I have in mind:
1. Fuel (Not sure if HPCL petrol pumps in NCR accept amex easily) - assume no MR but counts towards 4L milestone
2. Advance Tax (Read in the forum that amex is accepted) - assume no MR but counts towards 4L milestone
3. Purchase amazon voucher if I need more than what infinia smartbuy allows
4. Other gyftr voucher which are not available in smartbuy
5. POS/Online transactions where gyftr vouchers cannot work to meet 4L target.

Does this look like a good way to use? I already have infinia and M4B.
Do not have much use for marriott points but I can use the airline miles.
Conservatively I can say I will get 40000 milestone MR + 4000 regular MR = 44K MR. (Assuming 50% of my spend will get no MR and gyftr will be negligible)

1st year -
44K MR + 12K MR (welcome benifit) = 56MR = 28K Air Miles (Assume 1 Airline Mile = 1 Rs) . The benefit is 23870 Miles on a spend of 4L. A return of ~5.96%

2nd year - 44K MR = 22K Miles, after fee deduction 16100 Miles. (~4%)

So, 2nd year onwards the return rate is not that great compared to M4B. But the main attraction is to get miles on fuel/tax.

Thanks for the replies, I will try to take out some value out of my Amex card in the first year if I do not face acceptance issues, else will close it in a month or two. I dont have a lot of bills that would warrant buying vouchers online and I quite frequently use my card on POS machines.
I live in Delhi and seeing every merchant ask 3% more for Amex is kind of a bummer when Infinia acceptance comes at no charge :\

Back