• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How safe is Tap and Pay?

CyberPsych

TF Ace
If I have Tap and pay enabled and keep cards in wallet, can someone scan near may wallet and debit any amount? Looks like a noob question, but I want to know what are the risks of this being enabled. In Fuel bunks, we can't even see how much they're charging but ask us to move forward quickly to get next vehicle in place, says receipt is not available and SMS from bank takes some time to get delivered by which we have already left the bunk. Entering PIN eliminates all these, we can cross check the transaction amount.

4uziaul

TF Pioneer
Contributor
By default, the limit for Tap and Pay is set to 5k, as per RBI guidelines. If you are still wary, you can simply lower the limit to 1k or 2k. Moreover, it is much safer compared to swiping your card on a POS machine. In fact, it is easier for someone to clone or skim your card when you swipe it, but that's not the case with tap and pay. The only thing to worry about is if your card gets stolen.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
If I have Tap and pay enabled and keep cards in wallet, can someone scan near may wallet and debit any amount? Looks like a noob question, but I want to know what are the risks of this being enabled. In Fuel bunks, we can't even see how much they're charging but ask us to move forward quickly to get next vehicle in place, says receipt is not available and SMS from bank takes some time to get delivered by which we have already left the bunk. Entering PIN eliminates all these, we can cross check the transaction amount.
Most PoS machines display the amount even if you use Tap and Pay. In case it doesn't, you can ask the attendant to show you the screen after the transaction is completed to see the final debit amount.

CyberPsych

TF Ace
In fact, it is easier for someone to clone or skim your card when you swipe it
Mots of the time it is now eMV chip's insert card an PIN transactions.

@Everyone, is it possible for someone to read my card when card is in wallet and tap & pay is enabled? Or some sort of physical contact is required for transaction?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Mots of the time it is now eMV chip's insert card an PIN transactions.

@Everyone, is it possible for someone to read my card when card is in wallet and tap & pay is enabled? Or some sort of physical contact is required for transaction?
Yes. But that is quite rare. It does get hard to read the card through your wallet and pants. If you are so concerned, get yourself an RFID-blocking wallet

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
By default, the limit for Tap and Pay is set to 5k, as per RBI guidelines. If you are still wary, you can simply lower the limit to 1k or 2k. Moreover, it is much safer compared to swiping your card on a POS machine. In fact, it is easier for someone to clone or skim your card when you swipe it, but that's not the case with tap and pay. The only thing to worry about is if your card gets stolen.
This limit is per day or per transaction?

P B R G

TF Ace
I have set 1k limit only for all my credit cards and disabled the feature for all debit cards.
5k/ transaction
Is it really per transaction? Because I have set 1k as the transaction limit for my Axis card and paid 900 something in a pharmacy. After 5-10 minutes when I tried to pay again another amount less than 1k it got declined. Had to swipe the card.

pprakash11

TF Prestige
I have set 1k limit only for all my credit cards and disabled the feature for all debit cards.

Is it really per transaction? Because I have set 1k as the transaction limit for my Axis card and paid 900 something in a pharmacy. After 5-10 minutes when I tried to pay again another amount less than 1k it got declined. Had to swipe the card.
Yeah untill you set anything, its max by default 5k per transaction.

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
1. get an rfid wallet. Tap and pay transactions wont happen in these wallets if you place it near a pos machine.
secnodly instead of directly doing yap and pay do it through cred ,paytm or samsung pay in this way you will receive instant message

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
rbi rule say max 5k per transaction allowed
but you can modify it

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Thats why I prefer to use Samsung Pay each time for tap and pay transaction :)