• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to make a purchase higher than credit limit?

pleasegiveltf

TF Select
I hold a SBI Vistara Prime Card with ₹40,000 limit. SBI is refusing to transfer limit from my SBI Simply Save credit card (with ₹2L limit now) to SBI Vistara Prime Card.

I've been escalating this but I need to make a payment (in 1 transaction, cannot split) for ₹42,600. Can I do this on SBI by prepaying the credit card with ₹2,600?

I hold a SBI Vistara Prime Card with ₹40,000 limit. SBI is refusing to transfer limit from my SBI Simply Save credit card (with ₹2L limit now) to SBI Vistara Prime Card.

I've been escalating this but I need to make a payment (in 1 transaction, cannot split) for ₹42,600. Can I do this on SBI by prepaying the credit card with ₹2,600?
Yes, you can.

With Sbi it should work, most probably. I have tried it at my store, 3 times with success.

I would prepay a larger amount of say, Rs 10000.00 for the transaction to go through successfully. If you are using the full limit, the bank may flag the transaction as suspicious and reject it as in the case of Rs 42600.

Just make sure that you read their card overlimit usage terms and conditions before making this transaction. However, I think that if you prepay, then it won't be overlimit (but it all depends upon the card issuer bank).

Thanks!!

How many gift cards should I buy to receive the full instant bank discount when my credit card limit is 38,000, and the purchase value is Rs. 60,213?
In April of this year i had a limit of only 20000 in my SBI credit card. In April, i wanted to buy a washing machine worth 32,000 using credit card. I overpaid 12000 and EMI was booked for 20000 INR. This was in April. I once tried overpaying in August because EMI amount was blocking me from spending more than 20000 and it worked. I am not sure if it had changed after August.

SBI cards now dont allow this. I prepaid my card as I have utilised 70% of my limit. even once I have to make a transaction of amount 40% of my credit limit, but it got declined even as I have done prepaid topup of 20%.

for overlimit, they charge 2.5% or 600+tax whichever is higher

Not anymore. SBI will now not allow you to pay more than the outstanding amount
I just now tried paying more than the outstanding amount and it worked. I will exhaust my total credit limit tomorrow after i purchase a tab in Amazon GIF offer. I will also try paying above my credit limit and see if it works

I just now tried paying more than the outstanding amount and it worked. I will exhaust my total credit limit tomorrow after i purchase a tab in Amazon GIF offer. I will also try paying above my credit limit and see if it works
your transaction went through? cause in the manage limit section highest allowed transaction limit would be of your card limit amount only.

example - limit 1,00,000
you over pay by - 10,000
temporary limit available will be 1,10,000
but limit per transaction cannot be changed to over 1,00,000
how could useage over credit limit be possible if only need to transact 1,10,000 in one transaction? am i missing something?

I noticed this too some time back, not sure if this is the case. So let's say this my limit is 100,000. Looks like I can't pay 200,000. But if its an offline transaction, can I make 2 payments of 100,000 each after paying, enough to get a limit of 200,000?

Yes. SBI doesn't allow this anymore. Maybe they're rolling out this new rule in phases and some customers may be able to do it - but I haven't been able to do so.
Today, I was able to do a transaction of 50% more than my credit limit on SBI BPCL card by paying extra beforehand. Let's see if any fee is charged.

In April of this year i had a limit of only 20000 in my SBI credit card. In April, i wanted to buy a washing machine worth 32,000 using credit card. I overpaid 12000 and EMI was booked for 20000 INR. This was in April. I once tried overpaying in August because EMI amount was blocking me from spending more than 20000 and it worked. I am not sure if it had changed after August.
So your 32k EMI was actually changed to 20k due to that being your limit on the card? Were you charged any overlimit or other fees?

Today, I was able to do a transaction of 50% more than my credit limit on SBI BPCL card by paying extra beforehand. Let's see if any fee is charged.
There are few people who said in the previous posts that you can't pay above the credit limit. But you just showed you could. Maybe those who said it can't be done never really tried it or used a different app. Which app you used? I used Cheq?

Back