• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HSBC Cashback Credit Card Review

Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers. Last Updated 5th Dec 2023.
HSBC has recently revamped their Cashback Credit card and I would say it has been revalued as an exception in this season of brutal devaluations. Since earning points for travel is again becoming difficult many people are shifting to cashback credit cards to bump up their valueback.

Here's a quick review of this great credit card from HSBC Bank!

Charges and Welcome Benefits​

Joining Fees​
₹999 + GST​
Welcome Benefits​
Amazon voucher worth ₹1000 on spending ₹10000 within the first 30 days​
Annual Fees​
₹999 + GST​
Annual Benefits​
NIL​
Annual Fee Waiver​
Spend ₹2L on your card in a year for an annual fee waiver*.
Add-on Fees​
NIL​
Card Category​
Cashback​
The welcome voucher compensates the joining fee but there will be no annual benefits for paying the annual fees.

Reward Rate​

Spends Area
CashbackRate
Capping
All dining, food delivery and grocery spends​
10%​
₹1000​
All Other Spends*​
1.50%​
Unlimited​
  • *Cashback cannot be earned on transactions made on Fuel, e-wallets, rental payments, Business to Business transactions, education and government payments, Insurance, Jewelry and antique items, Gambling, Tolls and Bridge Fees, Financial and Non-Financial Institutions, Security Broker Services, Collection Agencies, Charity, Money Transfers and Wholesale Clubs.​
  • Your cashback will be credited within 45 days after the statement generation date​
  • No cash-back redemption fee is applicable​

Other Benefits​

Airport Lounge Access​

Domestic Airport Lounge Access
Complimentary Limit – 4 Visits/ Calendar year (1 per quarter) within India only for primary cardholders.
Access Via – Credit Card

Fuel Surcharge Waiver​

No fuel surcharge waiver is applicable on this card.

Forex Markup​

Forex markup charges are applicable of 3.5%+GST.

Eligibility​

• You must be aged between 18 to 65​
  • Your annual income must be at least INR400,000 per annum (for salaried individuals)​
  • You must be an Indian resident​
  • You must reside in any of the following cities: Bangalore, Chennai, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Mumbai, New Delhi, Noida, Pune​
HSBC Bank is currently only offering their credit cards to salaried individuals that too very strictly. If you are a self-employed individual then you may try your luck by opening a premium bank account against a huge NRV.

TechnoFino Recommends​

A simple no-nonsense cashback card from HSBC Bank which caters to both Groceries and Dining that too at a flat 10% rate which I would say is unheard of before. Earlier Kotak was offering such cashback on their Essentia and Delight credit cards with some conditions and now have been discontinued.

If you are looking for a great multi-utility card for all your grocery and dining spending then this card should be there in your wallet! Not to worry about the fees since in festive time reaching that upper cap on 10% cashback even for just one time will make your card free virtually for the year. This card is in direct competition with the HDFC Swiggy card now.

Are you planning to get this card? Tell us in the comments below about your experience.

11-June- Applied for card, Vkyc done the same day.
17-June - Got SMS - "Your HSBC Credit Card has been approved"
18-June- Got the Physical card delivered. Activated the same day and the same day the 999 rs and 178 tax transactions were reflected in the statement in the Mobile app.

Now my question -> When we will get the Amazon vouchers for 250 rs and 1000 rs ? (consider that i spent 10,000 rs by 20 June)

@ManInTheSuit

helloworld

TF Legend
18-June- Got the Physical card delivered. Activated the same day and the same day the 999 rs and 178 tax transactions were reflected in the statement in the Mobile app.

Now my question -> When we will get the Amazon vouchers for 250 rs and 1000 rs ? (consider that i spent 10,000 rs by 20 June)

@ManInTheSuit

for 1000rs.

for 250rs.

Eligible customers will receive Amazon voucher within 60 days after completion of 30 days from credit card issuance.

i.e., 3 months (check in October)

krishc

TF Ace

@ManInTheSuit
not by 20th June but 16th
they count from the day of approval and exactly 30 days - not a calendar month
I've missed my 1000 amazon voucher due to this trickery

_amit_

TF Premier
17th: Applied in the evening.
21st: Received approval message in the morning and the card was delivered in the evening, same day.
It seems the card was issued on 19th as this date was mentioned on the received brochure

I am able to use the card for online payment which I did using zomato, however, I am unable to set PIN and the app keeps throwing error. Need to connect with support.

And now I understood what it was meant by they keep nagging with messages. Even for logging in the app, they send SMS and email, which is too much.

EDIT: No need to contact support. It seems the PIN can be set only after they charge joining fees. For me, they charged fees after 4 hours after activating the card, so I thought there is something wrong with setting PIN.

Last edited:

helloworld

TF Legend
21st: Received approval message in the morning and the card was delivered in the evening, same day.
It seems the card was issued on 19th as this date was mentioned on the received brochure

I am able to use the card for online payment which I did using zomato, however, I am unable to set PIN and the app keeps throwing error. Need to connect with support.

And now I understood what it was meant by they keep nagging with messages. Even for logging in the app, they send SMS and email, which is too much.

if you have banking relationship then you'll receive 2 mails each week. 2x4 = 8 in a month. Credit card statement with 2 attachments apprx. 2MB. login app - get SMS, and no option to disable any of them unless completely block them.

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

The funny part is they send sms for these silly things but don't send message when the bill payment is settled or received in card. I had to regularly keep a check in the app for 1 week as the settlement time for payment is very high atleast when paid via HDFC Billpay

_amit_

TF Premier
if you have banking relationship then you'll receive 2 mails each week. 2x4 = 8 in a month. Credit card statement with 2 attachments apprx. 2MB. login app - get SMS, and no option to disable any of them unless completely block them.
Just credit card. Don;t think I would be having any savings with them anytime soon.

I have already sent them an email feedback about this dumb SMS and a chat feedback. It does not matter but something is wrong with them.

_amit_

TF Premier
The funny part is they send sms for these silly things but don't send message when the bill payment is settled or received in card. I had to regularly keep a check in the app for 1 week as the settlement time for payment is very high atleast when paid via HDFC Billpay
ICICI is so friendly that they will share your card details with others (security breach) and here HSBC keeps sending SMS for a mere login.

For reward/cashback tracking, I liked Eterna as it shows how much reward you got for each transactions. Not sure if any other card does that.

Last edited:

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
ICICI is so friendly that they will share your card details with others (security breach) and HSBC keeps sending SMS for login which I had done few times since I receive the card.

For reward/cashback tracking, I liked Eterna as it shows how much reward you got for each transactions. Not sure if any other card does that.
Some HDFC Cards shows that in the statment atleast I can confirm for DCB and Tata Neu only for non-upi txns. Also ICICI Apay cashback is also shown txn wise in the iMobile app as well as Amazon Pay for txn done on Amazon.

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I had checked on Dineout but could not find any HSBC specific offers for my area.

Zomato has HSBC specific offer, but gives error for Cashback card.
I guess it might be because of the card "speciality" so that it can not be used for double dip.
1000085721.png
Got this is in the mail yesterday. These offers should be atleast eligible as I have HSBC Cashback only.

_amit_

TF Premier
1000085721.png
Got this is in the mail yesterday. These offers should be atleast eligible as I have HSBC Cashback only.
Thanks for sharing.
I did not receive the mail but checked the details online.

This Zomato 12% upto 500 can be availed using DININGHSBC which is same code as the offer of 500 Flat off. Maybe they updated the offer as both uses the same coupon code.

But this coupon is not applicable for Visa Cashback as the error is thrown the moment the BIN is entered.

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thanks for sharing.
I did not receive the mail but checked the details online.

This Zomato 12% upto 500 can be availed using DININGHSBC which is same code as the offer of 500 Flat off. Maybe they updated the offer as both uses the same coupon code.

But this coupon is not applicable for Visa Cashback as the error is thrown the moment the BIN is entered.
Please try taking the screenshot and complaining to HSBC customer care. They need to solve this if this offer is for HSBC Cashback user.

_amit_

TF Premier
Please try taking the screenshot and complaining to HSBC customer care. They need to solve this if this offer is for HSBC Cashback user.
I had already informed them yesterday, lets see how it comes out.

The offer details are here:

1719033766033.png

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I had already informed them yesterday, lets see how it comes out.

The offer details are here:

1719033766033.png
The offer is available for 8 more days only though. They would take 4-5 days to solve it atleast. So only 2 days in this month a person can use this offer that too if and only if they solve it before friday 😂

_amit_

TF Premier
The offer is available for 8 more days only though. They would take 4-5 days to solve it atleast. So only 2 days in this month a person can use this offer that too if and only if they solve it before friday 😂
Yep. Though I do not think the issue is with bank, but Zomato.

I had already raised tickets with both. Will see what they reply.